Is there a place for religion in modern politics?

SideysGhost

Ancient Athens?
Or the Code of King Hammurabi of Babylon which dates back to 1750BC, or a good 1200 years at least before the Torah was put together. King is a moron child trolling, ignore it.

Last edited:

wombat

There were literally hundreds of civilisations prior to Christianity with a functioning rule of law. Hundreds.
Civilisation is a bit more than using slaves to build cities.

SideysGhost

Can't wait to see Lumpy's take on this thread, or the usual assertions by the swivel-eyed bogmonkey reactionary conservatives that ethics require religion; one particular religion is the One True source of law, order and morality, without that One True Religion all would be anarchy; and that only societies explicitly based on the teachings of that One True Religion can properly be considered "civilsed", all other societies being naturally and by definition inferior.

And then people wonder why I'm so hard on the dribbling religious cretins on p.ie. Cos their views are not just completely Wrong, but when you peek under the hood actually profoundly offensive and repulsive.

D

Deleted member 17573

Can't wait to see Lumpy's take on this thread, or the usual assertions by the swivel-eyed bogmonkey reactionary conservatives that ethics require religion; one particular religion is the One True source of law, order and morality, without that One True Religion all would be anarchy; and that only societies explicitly based on the teachings of that One True Religion can properly be considered "civilsed", all other societies being naturally and by definition inferior.

And then people wonder why I'm so hard on the dribbling religious cretins on p.ie. Cos their views are not just completely Wrong, but when you peek under the hood actually profoundly offensive and repulsive.
Can you cite a single modern society where a satisfactory standard of morality prevailed in the absence of any religious influence?

Supra

Religion for years has shaped the very laws our elected representatives have set out for us, however in this post modern world religion has taken a step back and been replaced with a new religion of politics.

For someone like myself who still holds a fundamental value and belief in the power of a supreme being, I hope that my actions during this life will be rewarded in the after life.

That is me, but for others the idea if allowing a political influence to shape the way politicians behave or make decisions is repulsive.

The question I am posing is if religion has any place in a modern society when it comes to politics?

Should a TD be seen attending mass on a Sunday, funerals for their lost friends, and weddings for their mates?

Should a politician be seen to live a good Christian life ?

Or should we go down the road to ban all instruments of religion from the world of politics ?
Complete secularism is not a reality. You can only have secularism in a place with no religion or little enough religion for it not to matter. Either that or you accept their is no democracy.
There is a balance though where both religion and politics compliment each other. A big problem now is the demand for loyalty to the state is in competition with the demand for loyalty to religion. This is brutally being played out in France. Both can work alongside each other in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 45466

Or the Code of King Hammurabi of Babylon which dates back to 1750BC, or a good 1200 yeahs before the Torah was put together. King is a moron child trolling, ignore it.
Were we living under those codes, you'd have been cast into a pit of bitumen, or boiled alive a long time ago.

Along with many of the other "liberals".

D

Deleted member 17573

Doctors without borders.
No - their morality is undoubtedly informed by the religious influence of family and community, even if some of them are now atheists. In fact, that is why we cannot be sure that morality would survive the demise of religion, it has never been tested. It would require at least a few generations of the complete absence of religion, and even then, could we be sure that the residual secular morality did not owe something to the religious influences under which the society developed?

Supra

No - their morality is undoubtedly informed by the religious influence of family and community, even if some of them are now atheists. In fact, that is why we cannot be sure that morality would survive the demise of religion, it has never been tested. It would require at least a few generations of the complete absence of religion, and even then, could we be sure that the residual secular morality did not owe something to the religious influences under which the society developed?
Family and community are not exclusive to religion. A pack of wolves have family and community.

If morality is based on religion and there is a demise in religion then there will be no bases for measuring morality and there will be no moral dilemma.

D

Deleted member 17573

Family and community are not exclusive to religion. A pack of wolves have family and community.

If morality is based on religion and there is a demise in religion then there will be no bases for measuring morality and there will be no moral dilemma.
Of coufse not - but so long as somebody grows up in a society where there are religious influences, we cannot say that that person's morality was formed entirely independent of that influence.

Supra

Of coufse not - but so long as somebody grows up in a society where there are religious influences, we cannot say that that person's morality was formed entirely independent of that influence.
Yes we can. Wolves don't grow up in a society influenced by religion.

toughbutfair

I'm an atheist but if I was a politician I'd fake the whole catholic thing, older people and rural Ireland would prefer to vote for a good God fearing moral catholic man. It wouldn't bother me , I think it'd be silly to "out yourself" as an atheist in politics (in most countries) .

toughbutfair

I think it is chicken and egg. Due to our knowledge of death, humans need to believe that death isn't the end. Also, the downtrodden need the crutch. So man invented religion and then the norms that grew from that shapes our society.

Supra

I'm an atheist but if I was a politician I'd fake the whole catholic thing, older people and rural Ireland would prefer to vote for a good God fearing moral catholic man. It wouldn't bother me , I think it'd be silly to "out yourself" as an atheist in politics (in most countries) .
Yes but that's not unique to religion.
If you where a racist you would fake not being a racist.
If you didn't care about the environment you'd fake caring etc.

This is why as long as there is sizeable religious population it must be in politics.

Supra

I think it is chicken and egg. Due to our knowledge of death, humans need to believe that death isn't the end. Also, the downtrodden need the crutch. So man invented religion and then the norms that grew from that shapes our society.
No they don't. There are enough atheists around to show humans don't need to believe in the afterlife.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies