Is there a place for Ruth Dudley edward and Eoghan Harris "Opinions" in modern journalism

PAGE61

Open the Independent newspaper on any given day and you are lightly to find an opinion by Ruth Dudley Edwards or Eoghan Harris.
Don't be concerned when you start to read the article at first because no matter what the title may suggest, be it Brexit,The Gaeltacht Michael D Higgins,Fianna fail, etc, the dynamic duo will soon swing their opinion around to Sinn Fein.

If you cow goes into labor early , chances are it will be Sinn Feins fault. Leaks in our water system, that will be 12-member IRA "executive councils fault. Housing crisis, you can blame that on Gerry Adams and Donal Trumps election results are down to the nationalist population on the falls road. ,

Not being affiliated to any political party I will call a spade a spade and suggest that their "Opinion" is not an opinion but an organized piece of propaganda against a political party.

My main concern is that small as Ireland may be, we do need to have choices . not everybody will agree with everyone's opinions but not everyone is as well placed to have their opinion published as Edwards and Harris.

Is there a place for "Opinions" like these in modern journalism?

JimmyFoley

Open the Independent newspaper on any given day and you are lightly to find an opinion by Ruth Dudley Edwards or Eoghan Harris.
Don't be concerned when you start to read the article at first because no matter what the title may suggest, be it Brexit,The Gaeltacht Michael D Higgins,Fianna fail, etc, the dynamic duo will soon swing their opinion around to Sinn Fein.

If you cow goes into labor early , chances are it will be Sinn Feins fault. Leaks in our water system, that will be 12-member IRA "executive councils fault. Housing crisis, you can blame that on Gerry Adams and Donal Trumps election results are down to the nationalist population on the falls road. ,

Not being affiliated to any political party I will call a spade a spade and suggest that their "Opinion" is not an opinion but an organized piece of propaganda against a political party.

My main concern is that small as Ireland may be, we do need to have choices . not everybody will agree with everyone's opinions but not everyone is as well placed to have their opinion published as Edwards and Harris.

Harris has basically been writing the same article for 15 or 20 years. Same as Gene Kerrigan. It's just not worth the effort.

RDE writes quite well, imo. I don't always agree with her, but I usually find her pieces interesting.

Strawberry

I don't know much about Eoghan Harris but Dudley Edwards has a proven track record of dishonesty which should make her off limits for any newspaper that has decent journalistic standards.

Levellers

I don't know much about Eoghan Harris but Dudley Edwards has a proven track record of dishonesty which should make her off limits for any newspaper that has decent journalistic standards.
Such as her review of the film which was scathing and then she had to admit she had never seen it!

Strawberry

Such as her review of the film which was scathing and then she had to admit she had never seen it!
Plus her whitewashing of Sean O'Callaghan's habit of bringing young men back from the pub to engage in bondage fun.

artfoley56

not words youd associate with the INM stable

CatullusV

Yes.

There is.

Always.

hollandia

Yes.

There is.

Always.
I agree. As much as I find these two "journalists" to have had a very negative impact on political discourse (along with rte). The problem is not their opinion per se, but the lack of balance.

Last edited:

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Yes, right beside Hagar the Horrible and Garfield.

former wesleyan

Plus her whitewashing of Sean O'Callaghan's habit of bringing young men back from the pub to engage in bondage fun.
So ? If the DUPers were casting those nasturtiums you'd be sneering at their antediluvian morals.

former wesleyan

GDPR

So ? If the DUPers were casting those nasturtiums you'd be sneering at their antediluvian morals.
I don't think a lot of the DUP leadership actually have any problems with any kinkiness that cyp could imagine, they just claim to stand by the Celtic sexual ethic in order to keep simple minded Prods onside.

Sheeple_Waker

I’d be more surprised if anyone took their ramblings seriously. RDE is an out and out Empire loyalist, Harris is a hypocrite for disparaging Sinn Féin and the record of the Provos while being a member of a party that was up to its neck in paramilitarism and criminality for the duration of hisnmembership.

Wagmore

Shinners are a cult. End of.

New Threads

Most Replies