• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Is there a policy in the Department of Social Protection to deliberately ignore a percentage of applications?

benroe

Is there a policy in the Department of Social Protection to deliberately ignore a percentage of applications?

So I was supposed to receive the children's back to school allowance this morning but nothing.
My daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and as a result i have had to stop working as my wifes wages are higher, i am in the process of applying for domiciliary care allowance and have been told that 50% of applications are turned down immediately and 25% are turned down on appeal and that i will have to wait at least 16 weeks.

I was told that i would get my back to school automatically the same as last year and if i had to re-apply they would inform me but i have received no correspondence, I,m starting to wonder if the Dept has a policy of denying a percentage of people their entitlements in order to stall payments to fit their budgets.

If this is the case is it legal? should something be done to stop it?

eoghanacht

The point of staff especially front line staff is not to help you avail of the service but to make interactions with the Dept as confusing, confounding and infuriating until you give up through sheer exasperation.

I had a serious accident ten years ago that left me unable to work, one two year old, renting, paying a car loan plus the usual, all grand when earning a good wage but we hit trouble once my employer at the time could no longer keep paying me.

So I toddled along to the local SW office and explained my circumstances, accident no fault of my own, young family, loss of revenue, added Dr and physio costs.

No, sorry there's only the occupational injury benefit, hardly enough to cover running costs but we carried on spending our savings until a friend mentioned an emergency payment, the catch is, you have to ask specifically for the form.

Just explaining your situation and asking them what help is provided isn't enough.

YOU MUST ASK THEM AND QUOTE THE FORM NUMBER e.g E14 etc.

Don't believe a word they tell you, write down the name/job title of anyone you deal with for future references. So when they start plaumausing you just throw it back at them e.g Well Deirdre the office manager told me on Friday 1/1/16 at 2pm when I rang.

eoghanacht

Extra

HarshBuzz

This is how Michael Lowry continuously tops the poll (that and Tipperary people being morons).

He intercedes for his consituents in cases like this and gets them what they need.

Which makes me wonder what the entire CS management layer actually do? What is the point of having a service that is so difficult to access that people can build entire careers as intermediaries between the service and the user?

papaquebec

So I was supposed to receive the children's back to school allowance this morning but nothing.
My daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and as a result i have had to stop working as my wifes wages are higher, i am in the process of applying for domiciliary care allowance and have been told that 50% of applications are turned down immediately and 25% are turned down on appeal and that i will have to wait at least 16 weeks.

I was told that i would get my back to school automatically the same as last year and if i had to re-apply they would inform me but i have received no correspondence, I,m starting to wonder if the Dept has a policy of denying a percentage of people their entitlements in order to stall payments to fit their budgets.

If this is the case is it legal? should something be done to stop it?
Why have you given up work?

In my near six-decades on this earth I've known many diabetics and parents with diabetic children and don't remember any who chose to let what is - with respect - a very manageable condition totally affect their quality of life.

A friend recently "celebrated" his half-century as an "insulin junkie" and told me he estimated diabetes had had less than a 1% negative impact on his life.

I'm sorry, but I can't help concurring with poster "macs magic"

eoghanacht

This is how Michael Lowry continuously tops the poll (that and Tipperary people being morons).

He intercedes for his consituents in cases like this and gets them what they need.

Which makes me wonder what the entire CS management layer actually do? What is the point of having a service that is so difficult to access that people can build entire careers as intermediaries between the service and the user?

You've answered yer own question.

We don't elect TD's we elect ward bosses to dole out the crumbs. But, sher me Da voted for his Da and didn't he get me the aul medical card.

benroe

In my near six-decades on this earth I've known many diabetics and parents with diabetic children and don't remember any who chose to let what is - with respect - a very manageable condition totally affect their quality of life.

A friend recently "celebrated" his half-century as an "insulin junkie" and told me he estimated diabetes had had less than a 1% negative impact on his life.

I'm hoping my absence from work will be temporary but i have been told it will take at least 3-4 months before her insulin dose becomes regulated, until then her diet has to be controlled her 4 daily injection monitored and her blood sugar and keytone levels checked 12 times a day. We are very new to this and are looking forward to the day she can manage on her own but i have to say there is no way i could leave a nine year old to do it herself.

redacted

So based on anecdotal evidence you've decided Benroe has decided he just wants to sponge off the dole and hide behind his daughters illness?

Have you been a dick for the entirety of your near six decades?

eoghanacht

Have you been a dick for the entirety of your near six decades?
Yes, I can confirm "the stony batter" bruiser has been a dick all of his life.

benroe

Too many soft social welfare payments in this country.
Domiciliary care allowance works out at 308 euro a month, hardly one weeks wages, but like most families we are only a couple of months from bankruptcy and every little helps.

benroe

My question is ,does anyone here think that the Department of social Protection deliberately denies a certain percentage of perfectly viable applications in order to fit their budget and if so is it legal?

amsterdemmetje

Domiciliary care allowance works out at 308 euro a month, hardly one weeks wages, but like most families we are only a couple of months from bankruptcy and every little helps.
DC is hard to get now but during the boom the HSE were giving it out like smarties as was told to me by a member of Enable Ireland .The DSP is a different animal altogether and they put us through 2 years of BS before agreeing in the end we were all along entitled to DC payments . One piece of advice ill give you is, don't give up, pursue it to the end ,remember they want you to give up, thats their agenda, not to help you or your child but to frustrate and annoy you with so much BS you will get fed up and just give up, don't do that ,remain calm and determined and you will get what you are entitled to in the end.Best of luck to you and your child.

Polly Ticks

SMH. There are some feckin' eejits on this thread.

OP, like all people that take care of family, you are doing the right thing.. plus, you are saving the State money all round in the long-run.

A chat with Citizen's Information might be of some use (although there's good advice on the thread already) ... or Diabetes Ireland

Good luck and as others have said, be persistent and keep a log of all your interactions!

eoghanacht

My question is ,does anyone here think that the Department of social Protection deliberately denies a certain percentage of perfectly viable applications in order to fit their budget and if so is it legal?
Yes and you have to prove it.

Lara2

DC is hard to get now but during the boom the HSE were giving it out like smarties as was told to me by a member of Enable Ireland .The DSP is a different animal altogether and they put us through 2 years of BS before agreeing in the end we were all along entitled to DC payments . One piece of advice ill give you is, don't give up, pursue it to the end ,remember they want you to give up, thats their agenda, not to help you or your child but to frustrate and annoy you with so much BS you will get fed up and just give up, don't do that ,remain calm and determined and you will get what you are entitled to in the end.Best of luck to you and your child.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

@ Benroe, don't expect them to get in touch with you (even though you were told that they would). You must contact them, find out about the delay and why there is a delay, could be just simple like "information got lost" or "you didn't fill out the form properly" excuses, but if you're not getting it for some other reason then get onto citizen's advice and take it further to your local TD (preferably a left leaning one) if you aren't satisfied.

These are your entitlements, what you paid your taxes for, and don't forget that.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies