• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Is there a subsidised bar in Garda HQ?

Monday Monday

I was driving through the Phoenix Park yesterday morning and saw a fully loaded beer delivery truck pulling past the security barrier of Garda HQ.

I knew the state provides subsidised alcohol to the army on a barracks but I didn't know that they were providing drink to An Garda Siochana. It certainly seems odd if they were because of the police forces remit in drink driving offences.

McKee barracks backs onto Garda HQ and maybe the Army beer gains access through the Garda grounds.

Are senior Gardai getting juiced-up as a state provided perk of the job? I'm sure that senior ranks of the Gardai take the drink driving laws extremely seriously but the optics look all wrong, there are certainly very few houses within walking distance of Garda HQ.

seanmacc

There is a Mess that seves alcohol in McKee baracks but Garda HQ I thought was dry.

They do have their own clubs like the Rowing Club and the Garda Club that serve alcohol at club rates and there used to be beer served in Templemore at club rates also. I don't think anyone lives in Garda HQ in the Phoenix Park

cllr

I was driving through the Phoenix Park yesterday morning and saw a fully loaded beer delivery truck pulling past the security barrier of Garda HQ.

I knew the state provides subsidised alcohol to the army on a barracks but I didn't know that they were providing drink to An Garda Siochana. It certainly seems odd if they were because of the police forces remit in drink driving offences.

I really cannot abide the piety and piousness of such postings - get a life.

McKee barracks backs onto Garda HQ and maybe the Army beer gains access through the Garda grounds.

Are senior Gardai getting juiced-up as a state provided perk of the job? I'm sure that senior ranks of the Gardai take the drink driving laws extremely seriously but the optics look all wrong, there are certainly very few houses within walking distance of Garda HQ.
I really cannot abide the piety and piousness of such posts - get a life.

wexfordman

Perhaps ot is on the garda yacht! Which I think is based in cork!

B

birthday

There is a Mess that seves alcohol in McKee baracks but Garda HQ I thought was dry.

They do have their own clubs like the Rowing Club and the Garda Club that serve alcohol at club rates and there used to be beer served in Templemore at club rates also. I don't think anyone lives in Garda HQ in the Phoenix Park

I hear that these guys only paid 1.5% pension contribution and can retire at 50!
Now they pay a bit more but such gold plating that existed until now!

Sister Mercedes

I don't really care - I stand over my comment - I am so so fed up with this sort of nannying. Live and let live.
What is a HQ doing with a bar, subsidized or not?

TV Listings, Radio Listings, 7 day Listings, Satellite & TV Guide, Irish, Radio Guide, Television Guide - RTÉ Ten

Under the Influence New series. The comedian [Des Bishop] explores Ireland's relationship with alcohol and other addictive commodities, revealing how he has been tee-total since the age of 19. He asks if the general public are in denial about the issue, if there is such a thing as an addictive personality and investigates what part society plays in encouraging excessive behaviour.

seanmacc

What is a HQ doing with a bar, subsidized or not?
I would imagine that if it does it is probably used for one off events like functions for Promotions or what not. Nobody lives in the place full time so there is no need for a Mess like they would have in a baracks

SeanieFitz

this is how it starts, some a/hole plants the seed (this time about a bar in HQ), there is no effort at sourcing confirmation, and before page 2 another a/hole accepts it as fact and its out there.
some gob************************e posts that he/she saw a truck outside some building and the conclusion is that there is a subsidised bar there.
And some people say this site is deteriorating

get a fuc!ik life why don't ye

cllr

Sister Mercedes

Just because he does not anymore is no reason why I should not. When I was growing up we used to blame the church for telling us what to do - and we were right now ................we have the nanny state types and the politically correct - and they are as bad. Give us all a break.
I'm talking about at a workplace. At the workplace of the people who are paid to enforce laws on drink-driving, underage drinking, etc.

cllr

Name a private sector HQ that has a bar. And don't say Diageo.

Of course, the Dail has one.
Does it matter - are you that envious, spiteful, meanspirited, interfering, nosy - as I said Get a Life - looks like you need something.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies