Is there a third world war in the making?

derryman

The world today looks ominously like it did before World War I

The world today looks ominously like it did before World War I | NOLA.com

I found this article and was wondering if our resident history buffs and others might wish to add their thoughts and reasoning.
I am not sure that she has made sufficient comparison to reach the conclusion. I think perhaps she could have noted some relevance in the breakdown of the Austro-Hungarian Empire with the USSR. Each leaving behind a well armed 2nd rate power that have internal problems that the leadership were hopeful foreign events would disguise and hopefully resolve. There are also comparisons with the British Empire and the USA. As the British Empire had reached its climax and was on the wane so to is US influence. When these are all added to her article she may be more right than we think.

But globalization has also hurt some less-skilled workers by exposing them to competition. In addition, globalization may make an easier political scapegoat, says Feinman: It's easier for politicians to blame foreign countries for their troubles than technology, since technology is often viewed in a positive light. make an easier political scapegoat, says Feinman: It's easier for politicians to blame foreign countries for their troubles than technology, since technology is often viewed in positive light.

I think the above remark taken from the article is pertinent to the present shenanigans in Washington at the moment re the expelling of diplomats because technology has exposed the corruption.

Mods I thought about putting this in the history forum but eventually plumped for FA. Move it if you so desire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Supra

Does a war have to be fought in Europe for it to qualify as a world war?

If so, then no. We're good.

derryman

I don't know , but I think it will have to include the superpowers and super economic powers.

gleeful

Any scenario for WW3 would see Nato involved and so around 1000 nukes fall on European cities.

mr_anderson

WWIII will most likely break out between India & Pakistan.

Backward cultures & nukes don't mix well.

gleeful

I believe Newry and Kilkenny have Nuclear evacuation plans at the ready.
Likely targets in Ireland are infrastructure which would be useful to the NATO war effort if commandered. This includes Dublin airport and sea port, high tech manufacturing like Intel and Analog Devices, Shannon and Knock, Foynes and Moneypoint (to cut power generation).

It wouldnt be a good day.

silverharp

the last 2 "world wars" were based on an emergent power challenging a hegemonic power. there is no obvious scenario in the next 10 years anyway. Japan and Russia are has -beens, china seem to prefer to play the long game while sitting back eating popcorn

fat finger

No.
It can be fought anywhere in the world.
But it has to involve Britain and Germany. And then towards the end, America.

Nemesiscorporation

derryman

Can't see a full-scale military war, but things will probably get a bit tough and uncertain over the next 5-10 years.
Best to remember that in the end, we all die, and your body will switch off just before you go to your next life :)
Well I am not sure that a large scale military conflict
( and I am aware size is subjective) involving China and/or Russia with Western powers is not impossible.

Supra

Well I am not sure that a large scale military conflict
( and I am aware size is subjective) involving China and/or Russia with Western powers is not impossible.
Powers are winding down on large scale warfare. They fight from the distance or the sea and the air and manipulate within Countries from afar. It's really only these proxy wars within borders that fight hand to hand under this manipulation.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies