• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is there any hope at all?

F.U.B.A.R

Just a general question regarding our future, economically socially. All we here is doom and gloom, does anyone have any insight to positives that lie out there?, if at all?

JCR

Just a general question regarding our future, economically socially. All we here is doom and gloom, does anyone have any insight to positives that lie out there?, if at all?
Yes we can:p

derm0t

We are where we are, going forward.

On the bright side, you won't have to worry about Fianna Fail after 2012...so that's something.

lonemother

alchemy, or black hair dye, they both seem fecking magical.

Dredger

On the bright side, you won't have to worry about Fianna Fail after 2012...so that's something.
Too late. The Greena Fail scumbags will have the country well and truly raped and destroyed by then. Handing the carcass over to the other shower of blithering idiots won't make much difference. What we need is a new political movement, not a re-branded political party, not a party comprised of members of the old boys club, a completely new political movement that will actually work for the people of this country for a change and flush out the institutionalised parasites that have been skimming the cream for far too long.

pujols

If you think you are beaten, you are beaten.

Countries have gotten out of far worse situations than this.

truthisfree

Far worse situations than what? we have no idea just how bad things are going to get here and we will not know for some months if not years. As regards the "think we are beaten" well we are, we have failed as a country to get rid of civil war politics and have truly produced an excellent example of Orwells Animal Farm

mothball

Well, I'm getting up for work now so I'm feeling quite fecking gloomy. Lucky dole merchants!

lonemother

What, you're a veteran of pain? Do your man day forecasts, how do they look? Unless you're ivory tower material, or you're doing those forecasts for your troops, (or trimming your beard), your q is the same one as the next man. We'll all survive,but I reckon you've either no idea what's coming in 2011, or else you'll be lucky in the order. Beaten drums make noise, beaten politics make nothing.

Ó Donnchadha

I am from America, I think I am going to join the Democrats, and become a chronic alcoholic, and live off welfare. At least when I am three sheets to the Feckin wind, I will be anesthetized to my economic misery.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

There is always hope. Despair is only for those who know the future.

karldaly

There is lots to hope for, but we must first of all put the corrupt bankers in jail. Until this is done all other talk will be meaningless.
But we have a government who failed to fix the banking crisis since September 2008 (when the bank guarantee was introduced),
They came up with one useless solution after another (NAMA etc.), in the hope that "something would turn up."
But, nothing has turned up and our banks are still being artificially prevented from going into bankruptcy, which is what should have happened to all the major banks.
If we had done that back in 2008 and set up a new bank, free of debt, with the huge amount of money that has been pored down the toilet in Anglo, AIB, BoI and EBS etc., we would be well on the way to recovery by now.
But the government decided otherwise, and we will discover in time EXACTLY why they took the actions they did (unless of course FF and FG form the next government with the express purpose of continueing the cover-up).
Similarly, the government has point blank refused to hold those who caused our economy to be brought to its knees to be held to account and we will discover EXACTLY the reason for this also in due course.
But just as the government thought the banking crisis would 'GO AWAY' and it failed to do so, so will the issue of ignoring white collar criminals fail to 'GO AWAY.'
Dealing with these two issues is necessary BEFORE hope returns and no attempts to COVER-UP will work.
The Irish people are just about at the end of their tether with listening to guff from the likes of the chairman of Goldman-Sachs International, Peter Sutherland, saying we should be "good little boys and girls" and pays the bankers BILLIONS MORE.
Former Icelandic Prime Minister to face charges over banking crash
Former Icelandic Prime Minister to face charges over banking crash | IceNews - Daily News
Iceland's politicians forced to flee from angry protesters
Protesters took to the streets of Reykjavik today, forcing MPs to run away from the people they represent as renewed anger about the impact of the financial crisis erupted in Iceland.
The violent protest came amid growing fury at austerity measures being imposed across Europe.

Iceland's politicians forced to flee from angry protesters | World news | The Guardian
Protests Resume outside Iceland’s Parliament
“The banks are writing off debts for tycoons and ex-politicians but hang the families of thousands of Icelanders out to dry,” the video says. “Stop! Wherever we stand it is the civic duty for all of us to protest.”
Iceland Review Online: Daily News from Iceland, Current Affairs, Business, Politics, Sports, Culture
HOPE WILL RETURN
When the criminals have been jailed AND NOT BEFORE

Cassandra Syndrome

The country has a severe disequilibrium, the correction of which would completely collapse us. Total Debt is 700%+ of GNP, total borrowings is over 3 times of total deposits (should be near parity).

So within this financial system we either

A. Dramtically increase incomes and savings to adjust to a stable equlibrium of savings and borrowing, through inflation (highly dangerous)

or

B. Dramatically reduce our debt to a stable equilibrium. This would be more desirable but how?
Debt forgiveness, debt for equity, sell off our assets etc.

Or...

A radical new approach altogether. New banking system, new money system, new economic system. I fear A or B above is death by a thousand cuts. Too much money is hemorraging out of the country to service external debt. Even if dramatically increase consumption it still bleeds out through debt obligations and not to domestic investors.

the_rebubblican

I believe there is hope once we identify how we are going to change the country and not just the bloody deficit. I'm sick of hearing about the fecking smart economy as a panacea for our ills. It's time for cottage industries, a serious promotion and cleansing of the tourist industry and food. In these industries we have intrinsic and distinct advantages over our neighbours. More than anything an election will allow the public vent their anger and choose their way out. Cowen is a belligerent, tribal fool of a man if he continues to put party numbers first. He has no honour or integrity and has besmirched the office of Taoiseach so must go. We get a new government, we can begin to hope.

Cassandra Syndrome

I believe there is hope once we identify how we are going to change the country and not just the bloody deficit. I'm sick of hearing about the fecking smart economy as a panacea for our ills. It's time for cottage industries, a serious promotion and cleansing of the tourist industry and food. In these industries we have intrinsic and distinct advantages over our neighbours. More than anything an election will allow the public vent their anger and choose their way out. Cowen is a belligerent, tribal fool of a man if he continues to put party numbers first. He has no honour or integrity and has besmirched the office of Taoiseach so must go. We get a new government, we can begin to hope.
+1

The smart economy is tripe, another bubble. We are a large island rich in resources. We should be utilising them more to produce goods and services that we need. This country surged on the back of high capital and high waged agriculture and manufacturing in the 1960s and 1970s.

Last edited:

Ulster-Lad

Seems the only hope is to leave the Euro. Tell me which party is willing to do so and I will give them my preferences?

HarshBuzz

the whole concept of 'the country' seems anachronistic to me especially when most of the people appealing in the name of 'the country' are those that contributed most egregiously to its downfall

what you should be asking is 'how will I, and my family, get through this?' and plan accordingly.

Aindriu

As it says above the gates of the old Victorian Prison on Dartmoor in Devon, "Abandon hope all ye that enter here".

Sums our situation up very well at present I think.

I wonder how long it will be before someone takes a pop at one of our government members with a firearm? I am surprised it hasn't happened already TBH. The anger of the people is beginning to grow very rapidly.

HarshBuzz

We are a large economy rich in resources.
CS, two points;

1. we are not a large economy (especially once you strip out the effects of FDI). We are a small economy (and getting smaller!)
2. we are not rich in resources, minerally speaking anyway. Can you clarify what resources you perceive us to be rich in?

Asparagus

We have a smart country run by asses.
a smart ass economy if you will.

We need an election.
We need to burn our bond holders
We need to reform our public spending to reduce wages and increase capital expenditure
We need justice meeted out to the architects of the boom.

Instead FF and greens
Refuse an election
Cow down to the bond holders
Maintain high PS salaries and reduce capital expenditure
Protect the guilty

Its doom and gloom and unless FG and LAB have a set of balls it will be the same after the next election