Is there any institutions which critique media in Ireland?

arcadeparade

I've been reading Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky, his critique on American media, and a lot of it seems to be very relevant to Ireland.

Have there been any such studies done of media bias in Ireland, or will I have to write one myself? :D

You only have to look at some of the threads here to see how much nonsense is written in Irish papers, has there been any publications or research done on this?

John

macdarawhitfield

No ,the open goal awaits you.But I think 'critique' should be left as a noun.Otiose American academics have clogged up the arteries of the English language with these crappy,clunky neologisms.And that's before you even start! You sure you want to go through with this?

arcadeparade

No ,the open goal awaits you.But I think 'critique' should be left as a noun.Otiose American academics have clogged up the arteries of the English language with these crappy,clunky neologisms.And that's before you even start! You sure you want to go through with this?
It's something that's been on my mind for a while, and I think it could be both useful and interesting to people. And there's so many prominent events being reported right now, it's hard to take my mind off it.

islands

Eoin Devereux in the University of Limerick has done a fair bit of work in this area. You could email him - eoin dot devereux at ul dot ie

blacbloc

Are there...

MediaBite / A Shot at Bias in the media (awful website) the inevitable Irish homage to something done earlier and better elsewhere - medialens - correcting for the distorted vision of the corporate media - corporate media issues

The examples may be American but I thought the propaganda model applied widely - or was supposed to.

Watch out for the grammar fascists.
Well at least some folk in Ireland are trying to do something about the problem of Irish media bias I suppose ;-). Done any work about the problem yourself? Medialens is funded by a private donor and has two full time-paid staff. They didn't have to pay for their nice website themselves. Naturally they are able to put a lot of time and effort into their work. They have a much bigger readership in Britain and so have many more subscribers and donors. To be fair, MediaBite is kept going by voluntary media activists who get not one penny for anything they do and must fit the work in around full-time jobs and other committments - and pay for everything out of their own pockets. Sure, these constraints show, I agree. They also openly acknowledge that the inspiration for their work came from Medialens, who were inspired by FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) the US version of the same idea - who I believe were inspired by Chomsky - who has in turn contributed a good interview to MediaBite's 'awful' website :) and also to one of their media analyses.

Interview with Chomsky
MediaBite - On the Media, Anti-Americanism and Disparity

Analysis with contribution from Chomsky:
MediaBite - An instruction from civilisation to barbarism

Other journalists/peeps who have given interviews to MediaBite about bias in the media include:-

Fintan O' Toole
Harry Browne
Lara Marlowe
Joe Higgins
Raymond Deane
Joe MacAnthony
Frank Connolly
Eddie Holt
Dahr Jamail
Pepe Escobar

All available here, free, gratis and for nothing:

MediaBite / A Shot at Bias in the media

Village Magazine seems to like their stuff too - they've published three articles by the MediaBite folk:

'The Elephant between the Property ads'
MediaBite - The Elephant in between the property ads

'Harney & Husband'
MediaBite - Harney and Husband

'The Irish Media failing over Rossport'
(What do Nigeria and Ireland have in common? Shell, gas and trouble - also published on Znet)
MediaBite - Irish media failing over Rossport

I'd say they do their best in difficult circumstances.

Last edited:

Lao-Tse

There's the interesting "Irish Media: A Critical History Since 1922" by John Horgan
and Mark O'Brien has written some interesting books about the "Irish Press" and
"Irish Times".

Catalpa

I've been reading Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky, his critique on American media, and a lot of it seems to be very relevant to Ireland.

Have there been any such studies done of media bias in Ireland, or will I have to write one myself? :D

You only have to look at some of the threads here to see how much nonsense is written in Irish papers, has there been any publications or research done on this?

John
Your on it mate

- this is where the Buck stops! :D

red-365

Eddie Holt in DCU is also good in this area, and Harry Browne, formerly of Irish Times, now in DIT, nods in the direction too.

blacbloc

Don't get your bloomers in a tangle there, Gran, you'll do yourself an injury. I'm in character here, I have a certain reputation to uphold. And, yes I have done some work in the area which I didn't charge for (Maj. Don is not my real name), and you don't need money to properly lay out a text based web site.

Is it okay if I get back in character now?
You need to get that knot out of your willy, petal ;-) - it's not doing much for your ability to think clearly. See, it's about money and time when people do things voluntarily. When something that needs four hours to complete has to be done in two, then text layout is the sort of thing that tends to suffer, I imagine. But you want to have your itty likky b1tch here so you get that off your chest, sweetie. If it makes you feel better about yourself, then we'll all understand.

blacbloc

the sincerest form of flattery, shucks.

Do tell.

Most of your problem, i'd say - throwing shapes on a feckin' web forum, for christ's sake. Get the paw out of your shorts and do something for a change.
:) :) :) Sshh. It's ok poppet.

arcadeparade

Hello again all,

Since I've been thinking about the state of our media, here's a basic analysis of what makes up todays edition of the Irish Independent, I thought some of you might find it mildly interesting as I did so here goes:

What is the Indo composed of on the 17th of June 2009?

Advertising:26% (Includes property ads, classified ads, colour ads, car ads etc)

Sports/Entertainment/Non-news stories(playstation addict, models etc), non-national personal tragedy stories Photos and large headlines which accompany news stories etc (all the filler basically): 53%

International News: 4.4%

National News:12%

Total:95.4%

The remainder of 3.6% is mostly other smaller headlines I missed and could be added to the "filler" category

The Indo cost €1.80, so you spent about €0.47 to look at the ads, €1.00 to look at the useless filler, and €0.20 to read the national news, the international news basically being "Iran" and a few small stories.

What was written about in the national news category?
Family incomes down
Muslim primary school problems
HSE stolen computer
Racist attaacks on Romanians
RTE staff vote for vote cut
Aer Lingus rip-off
Law case involving children being questioned
Guiness job cuts
Prison overcrowding
Mortgage holders advised to get fixed rate
NIB chief in court
TD pensions
Lisbon guarantees
Moriarty Tribunal
Murder case
Attempted murder case
Harney telling porkies
Child protection laws
Myers in a rage over RTE
Letters
Business

What do I make of all this?

I think it's safe to say that the Indo is in a sorry state, with over 81% not being "news" in any way at all.

The 12% national news we are left with includes 2 pages and part of the front devoted to one dodgy school, a few opinion pieces and mostly very boring other news items, one main headline being "Irish pupils bottom of the class for school punctuality"

It's getting late so I'm going to cut this short, but I'll get back to it. There are other things to talk about to in more detail, like how the ownership of the paper effects what is and is not written, the influence if any the advertisers have, and blatant bias in articles.

Judging from todays edition however, it seems that what they simply don't tell us is more important than what they do tell us.

John

Actually very little real critique going on. Check out some of the academic papers and books on the subject, sure, but read widely too. A multiplicity of sources is best. Reach your own view. Individuals in our schools of journalism and media are not places I'd look for complete transparency with regards to critique capability, as the same individuals frequently are also (paid or otherwise) writers for publications with an ideological axe to grind (be they Sunday Independent or otherwise), or publications that have no credibility.

Mostly what passes for "critique" on the internet in this country means writing an opposite view because the critic doesn't accept the view of the original article. Anyone who sets themselves up as a media critic needs their content critiqued in return.

Justine McCarthy - "In the ongoing Shell story seldom has the fourth estate exhibited such an appetite for spin and such a distaste for facts"

As usual, the "truth" is somewhere between two (possibly more) sides.

Reck-less

Who watches the media watchers?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?​

or

Who watches the watchmen?​

mayoonmymind

John
Who in God's name is objective enough in this little country to do an unbiased critique of the little Irish gods within the media.?
If there is no one to teach them how to speak properly, it's unlikely that they would take kindly to criticism.

shiel

Back in the Celtic tiger period the one party state media propaganda machine did not cease to do its bit daily for the seeming permanent government. 'Till hell freezes over' as one commentator defiantly put it.

Quotes from those very important 'well placed sources' about the preparation of 'plans of action' were always being put together. Of course this always happened after consulting 'a small number of heavy hitters'.

This involved the usual guff about a 'get tough approach' to government departments and semi-state bodies. The proverbial 'fine comb' was always used in order to 'minimise the need for cuts in politically sensitive projects'.

Of course these were not 'knee-jerk reactions' but 'innovative solutions'.

Whatever other reassuring cliche was needed was used 'going forward'.

Meanwhile the hatchet was taken to the reputation of the opposition. They could not be allowed to spoil this one party hegemony.

Specifically the leader of the opposition was variously a ' dosser' and a 'gouger' and 'a git' or some such.

Anyway the message back then seemed to be that, after many years of government dominated by one party, the country was in safe hands.

Whatever happened, all that was needed 'going forward' was that the permanent government continued to get a bit of decent publicity from the 'well placed sources' and the opposition croppies continued to be told to lie down.

The whole thing did not end well. A lot of the lads and lassies involved are still around lecturing us as if nothing had happened.

Analyzer

John
I am sure if IBEC are not happy with any element of the media, that they will make their opinion known to the relevant media organization (but, not to the rest of us).

That is the only critique that exists.

I remember what Seanie Fitz had to say about Eddie Hobbs.

Unfortunately, the opinion of Seanie Fitz resulted in Hobbs being gradually pushed into a corner and now he is irrelevant.

Though I suppose the Bull in Sowtt Kerry was not happy either.....

shiel

John
The fact that this thread has so few contributions over three years says it all.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies