Is there any limit to Senator Craughwell's hard neck and ego?

Boss Croker

Website
www.shergar.com

Sister Mercedes

First time I've ever seen 'ego and hard neck' in the same sentence as Michael D and not being applied to him.

Craughwell is making a noble statement. That the Presidency should be won and not handed over.

Betson

I would not vote for him but maybe he has point about a contest been needed , the downside though is the cost of an election for what is essentially a pointless position.

He was just on Radio one , interesting some of the texts read out , many saying they are happy with higgins and do not want an election and he should just get an automatic 2nd term. Does not seem a very democratic way to 'elect' a president in a republic.

Disillusioned democrat

First time I've ever seen 'ego and hard neck' in the same sentence as Michael D and not being applied to him.

Craughwell is making a noble statement. That the Presidency should be won and not handed over.
You beat me to it.

Higgins said he wouldn't do a second term and made himself look like a safe compromise for the last election as opposed to a "president for life". I'd like a wide open field for the next election.

Disillusioned democrat

I would not vote for him but maybe he has point about a contest been needed , the downside though is the cost of an election for what is essentially a pointless position.

He was just on Radio one , interesting some of the texts read out , many saying they are happy with higgins and do not want an election and he should just get an automatic 2nd term. Does not seem a very democratic way to 'elect' a president in a republic.
Republic.....that's gas

Clanrickard

I will vote for him if it is between him and Michael D Baggins.

Betson

I will vote for him if it is between him and Michael D Baggins.
If there is contest there will be a lot more than him throwing their hat in the ring.

Also it is reported that Micheal D wants a coronation or he will not stand at all.

Prester Jim

We should only allow one 7 year term anyway, altogether too long for any one person to have the role.
Would like to see some good candidates this time out.
Any preferences yourselves?

I would like Maurice McCabe or Catherine Corless got for it if they were keen, or someone outside the establishment who deserves it.

Nordie Northsider

I'd say Mr Craughwell is being very clever is offering this answer to a question that no one asked. I had never heard tell of him. Now I have.

Odyessus

Senator will run against Higgins if president goes for second term - Independent.ie

Is there any limit to this guy's ego and hard neck? He rose without trace - without an election - to the Seanad and now he wants to push Michael D aside as President?

BTW, the 'gh' in his surname is silent, so it is properly pronounced as Senator Gerard Craw-well.
Have you even read your own link? He has no problem with Higgins, but wants him to keep his pledge to serve only one term or else seek re-election at the ballot box. He says he will seek a nomination to stand himself rather than see Higgins break his word and be re-appointed without an election.

What exactly do you object to in this position?

Odyessus

If there is contest there will be a lot more than him throwing their hat in the ring.

Also it is reported that Micheal D wants a coronation or he will not stand at all.
I don't see Higgins' problem. If he does not feel up to campaigning for whatever reason, all he need do is allow his name to go forward for re-election anyway. if the people want to, they can re-elect him. If not they won't. Even in the latter case he is no worse off than he would be if he didn't stand in the first place, and in the former case he is allowing his supporters to re-elect him even if he doesn't campaign.

greengoose2

I don't see Higgins' problem. If he does not feel up to campaigning for whatever reason, all he need do is allow his name to go forward for re-election anyway. if the people want to, they can re-elect him. If not they won't. Even in the latter case he is no worse off than he would be if he didn't stand in the first place, and in the former case he is allowing his supporters to re-elect him even if he doesn't campaign.
Optics!

Congalltee

We should only allow one 7 year term anyway, altogether too long for any one person to have the role.
Would like to see some good candidates this time out.
Any preferences yourselves?

I would like Maurice McCabe or Catherine Corless got for it if they were keen, or someone outside the establishment who deserves it.
What's theyr views of art. 26 referrals and how do they interpret the limitations of speech on a president? What bills would they have convened the council of state over? Where do they stand on a Taoiseach, who does not command a majority in the dail, requesting a dissolution?

McTell

Twitter
No

Not much wrong with Michael D's tenure, but there should always be an election.

New Threads