Is there any possible transformative 1916 moment in the offing for Dissident Republicans?

General Urko

Is there any chance the CIRA and RIRAs of the island can convert regular folk to support their cause?
I strongly suspect not!

Fullforward

I believe you are correct.

Republicanism has a History of splits, those who are described as todays "Dissidents" seem to think it is mandatory.

RadicalJacobin

I can't see it to be honest. There is now a somewhat more democratic option(not to sound like a Redmondite :p ) which means that violence is simply not worth it. At the time when discrimination was actively practiced in the Orange State armed action was justified, now it just seems senseless and achieves nothing. Regardless while I'm sure many of them are dedicated to their cause and I respect that, Pearse, Connolly and the other leaders weren't engaged in criminality like drug dealing etc. to fund their Revolution. Legitimacy is kinda impossible when you actively behave like a criminal gang

PeaceGoalie

Is there any chance the CIRA and RIRAs of the island can convert regular folk to support their cause?
I strongly suspect not!
Unless St Jude intervenes. Perhaps they could open a St Jude Cumann?

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
I can't see it to be honest. There is now a somewhat more democratic option(not to sound like a Redmondite :p ) which means that violence is simply not worth it. At the time when discrimination was actively practiced in the Orange State armed action was justified, now it just seems senseless and achieves nothing. Regardless while I'm sure many of them are dedicated to their cause and I respect that, Pearse, Connolly and the other leaders weren't engaged in criminality like drug dealing etc. to fund their Revolution. Legitimacy is kinda impossible when you actively behave like a criminal gang

Rubbish.

There was a very low level of discrimination on both sides, and none of it justified what you call "armed action".

What the PIRA and INLA did was senseless and achieved nothing. In fact they set the cause of a UI back by decades.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
What is their cause?
It's the same as what the PIRA and the INLA wanted.

They claim that they want the restoration of the Irish Republic, but in reality they would settle for any old form of united Ireland.

The Sentinel

It's the same as what the PIRA and the INLA wanted.

They claim that they want the restoration of the Irish Republic, but in reality they would settle for any old form of united Ireland.
Thanks, a "United Ireland" that is owned and run by a gang of criminals and murderers who would rape and pillage to their heart's content at the expense of the Irish people for whom they fought to achieve "freedom", Thanks , now it is clear to me.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Thanks, a "United Ireland" that is owned and run by a gang of criminals and murderers who would rape and pillage to their heart's content at the expense of the Irish people for whom they fought to achieve "freedom", Thanks , now it is clear to me.
That's Irish Republicanism for you. Criminal gangs using patriotism as a mask for their money making activities.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
I strongly suspect not!
Maybe one of them could pull a skinny Bobby and starve himself to death.

We're constantly told that this is why there was so much support for SF/IRA and why they achieved their objective of the restoration of the Irish Republic. In reality they achieved neither of these things.

The Sentinel

Maybe one of them could pull a skinny Bobby and starve himself to death.

We're constantly told that this is why there was so much support for SF/IRA and why they achieved their objective of the restoration of the Irish Republic. In reality they achieved neither of these things.
And yet they waffle on about Border Polls and such crap as if they have a achieved a "United Ireland" already and it is in the bag . If some form of a united people comes about , which I would welcome, it will certainly be in no way thanks to the current political SF/IRA campaign which pretends to be political but lets us know, in lightly coded terms, from time to time it will return to to the "legitimate right to raise arms" if necessary.

RadicalJacobin

Rubbish.

There was a very low level of discrimination on both sides, and none of it justified what you call "armed action".

What the PIRA and INLA did was senseless and achieved nothing. In fact they set the cause of a UI back by decades.
Ah yes pogroms in every sense of the word are "low leveled discrimination". Gerrymandering and the denial of basic civil rights was low levelled. Even Paisley Snr admitted that what happened was wrong. I have the greatest respect for your opinion but how can this island ever move forward if no one can admit that what happened was wrong and was discrimination.

Talk Back

I strongly suspect not!
I was expecting something to happen last year on the centenary of the 1916 Rising - something along the lines of taking over the GPO in Belfast, but no - all quiet of the Northern Front.

Talk Back

The IRA were robbing banks during the 1919/21 phase of Ireland's War of Independence. There was also car bombing going on, and explosive devices left on public transport - the latter particularly in the north during 1922, although it was not always clear whether it was Óglaigh na hÉireann or the Specials.

RadicalJacobin

The IRA were robbing banks during the 1919/21 phase of Ireland's War of Independence. There was also car bombing going on, and explosive devices left on public transport - the latter particularly in the north during 1922, although it was not always clear whether it was Óglaigh na hÉireann or the Specials.
The point I'm making is that when your army bares massive resemblance to the criminals dealing drugs, Hutch/Kinahan etc it's hard to claim to be a legitimate force.

The Sentinel

The point I'm making is that when your army bares massive resemblance to the criminals dealing drugs, Hutch/Kinahan etc it's hard to claim to be a legitimate force.
The only difference between Sinn Fein and the Hutch / Kinahan gangsters is that the former are biding their time playing at politics and doing a great job at disguising their real intent - which is every bit as evil as the Hutch/Kinanhan types but on a mega scale.

General Urko

Talk Back

The only difference between Sinn Fein and the Hutch / Kinahan gangsters is that the former are biding their time playing at politics and doing a great job at disguising their real intent - which is every bit as evil as the Hutch/Kinanhan types but on a mega scale.
Ending England's rule in Ireland, and reunifying our country is like... really evil.

wombat

Ending England's rule in Ireland, and reunifying our country is like... really evil.
Unfortunately, one does not follow the other as all but a minority have learned.

General Urko

The One Obvious 1916 Moment awaiting is -

I think the only way these morons could possibly convert a huge number of Irish People to their cause is if they took a morning off from their regular rackets of collecting protection money and drug licensing money from regular criminals and whacked a few of the architects of our economic downfall! A sort of Mickey Collins 12 apostles day.
Although no doubt many of the architects of our economic disaster are under more or less 24 hour pig protection, most likely to a greater exrtent than CIRA/RIRA Thugs are under pig surveilance, surely a quick move by a dedickated unit could take a few of them out, early one morning!
If I was one of their strategists, I would have called for it long ago.

New Threads

Most Replies