• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Is there anything we can build, that Asia cannot?

Oblivion.

According to the champions of the "knowledge economy", Western nations were going focus on creating premium, high-end goods and services, whilst the Good Little Asians focused on selling us cheap plastic toys and €5 toasters.

The threat posed to Western manufacturing and technological superiority was not a concern, because the Good Little Asians had no interest in building anything complicated. Anyway, aside from the Japanese, Asian industries were decades behind and lacked the "culture of innovation" that has ensured Western global hegemony for the last 500 years. The Asians would sell us slippers. We'd sell them iPads.

Unfortunately, it appears the Chinese didn't get the memo.

China's Lenovo overtakes HP as biggest PC maker

And nobody told the South Koreans.

Hyundai Motors overtakes Ford in U.S. retail sales

It seems the Good Little Asians are now competing with Western manufacturing at every level of the value chain. But surely this is just a temporary blip? It's not as if companies like Airbus and Boeing could ever be bankrupted by Chinese competition.

Question: Is there anything we (Westerners) can build, that the Far East cannot either a) build already, or b) rival within 10 years?

Last edited:

Analyzer

I reckon the Irish institutional state can beat them in building quangos !!!

PeacefulViking

According to the champions of the "knowledge economy", Western nations were going focus on creating premium, high-end goods and services, whilst the Good Little Asians focused on selling us cheap plastic toys and €5 toasters.

The threat posed to Western manufacturing and technological superiority was not a concern, because the Good Little Asians had no interest in building anything complicated. Anyway, aside from the Japanese, Asian industries were decades behind and lacked the "culture of innovation" that has ensured Western global hegemony for the last 500 years. The Asians would sell us slippers. We'd sell them iPads.

Hyundai Motor overtakes Ford in U.S. retail sales

It seems the Good Little Asians are now competing with Western manufacturing at every level of the value chain. But surely this is just a temporary blip? It's not as if companies like Airbus and Boeing could ever be bankrupted by Chinese competition.

Question: Is there anything we (Westerners) can build, that the Far East cannot either a) build already, or b) rival within 10 years?
Why does not matter? Surely you do not think the world economy is some sort of competition?

EUrJokingMeRight

Hyundai Motor overtakes Ford in U.S. retail sales

No.

seanmacc

A 27 km underground Particle Accelerator/ Hadron Collider. Would you trust China to build it?

bm42

We can make things that are costly to ship, things that have short shelf lives, things that have high tariffs, things that are highly regulated in their design/manufacture/application.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Well, suicidal sociopolitical-systems that will result in their own self-destruction for one.

Houyhnhnm

A 27 km underground Particle Accelerator/ Hadron Collider. Would you trust China to build it?
I would.

I'm sure they're more than capable of it.

What makes you think they wouldn't be able to build one?

ruserious

Well, we're always first to know when it rains. I'm sure we can get some competitive advantage out of that.

Mackers

An amalgamation of countries that doesn't know it's arse from it's elbow.

Last edited:

Mr. Bumble

Analyzer

Tribunals that do not put anybody in jail.

firefly123

Asian people have straight pubic hair? Your breadth of knowledge is an inspiration to us all.
I'm a man of the world Mr B. plus I have a horrible knack of remembering useless info whilst forgetting really important stuff. It's my curse and my gift ;)

DeGaulle 2.0

Website
ga.wikipedia.org
What is happening in my opinion is that the large areas of the world (China and and large parts of South America in particular) are joining the first world. This will take quite a long time but it will mean that the world's resources are more equally distributed. It inevitably means a long relative decline for Europe and North America.

Already we are seeing a new "scramble for Africa" and the beginnings of a "scramble for Mars".

seanmacc

I would.

I'm sure they're more than capable of it.

What makes you think they wouldn't be able to build one?
China's record of massive industrial accidents is not exactly good. Also when the excrement hits the fan they have a tendency of saying everything is fine and closing that bamboo curtain.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies