Is there no respite from Becks Bonkers Believers?

imokyrok

I love the internet. The access to information 24/7 is such a pleasure. Being able to research any topic under the sun is mind expanding to say the least. I just wish that it wasn't just as attractive to truly stupid people as well - especially truly stupid Americans. Now we all know that Americans cover much the same IQ curve as anywhere else in the world and that therefore the perception that they have stupendous numbers of uneducated and ignorant people is false. But it sure doesn't feel false when you are bombarded everywhere you go by idiots who believe every word, every conspiracy theory out of Glenn Becks mouth and who determine their views on important scientific matters according to what their pastor or politician tells them to believe. Especially infuriating is listening to them accusing everyone they disagree with of being nazis while they themselves behave so much like the historical figures they refer to. The current controversy over Becks attacks on George Soros being a perfect example of the latter.

I look forward to the day when software is sufficiently advanced to render easily readable websites from non English speaking countries. With a bit of luck Chinese and Indian thickos will not have the unassailable confidence of the American version and will leave more room for their more intelligent countrymen to populate the internet.

TaxHavenSite

I love the internet. The access to information 24/7 is such a pleasure. Being able to research any topic under the sun is mind expanding to say the least. I just wish that it wasn't just as attractive to truly stupid people as well - especially truly stupid Americans. Now we all know that Americans cover much the same IQ curve as anywhere else in the world and that therefore the perception that they have stupendous numbers of uneducated and ignorant people is false. But it sure doesn't feel false when you are bombarded everywhere you go by idiots who believe every word, every conspiracy theory out of Glenn Becks mouth and who determine their views on important scientific matters according to what their pastor or politician tells them to believe. Especially infuriating is listening to them accusing everyone they disagree with of being nazis while they themselves behave so much like the historical figures they refer to. The current controversy over Becks attacks on George Soros being a perfect example of the latter.

I look forward to the day when software is sufficiently advanced to render easily readable websites from non English speaking countries. With a bit of luck Chinese and Indian thickos will not have the unassailable confidence of the American version and will leave more room for their more intelligent countrymen to populate the internet.
Those people are nationalists,nationalists everywhere are stupid.:roll:

imokyrok

Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons.
Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."
G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), "Misalliance"

Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate above principles.
George Jean Nathan (1882 - 1958)

You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
Malcolm X (1925 - 1965)

When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882), Journals, 1824

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784), quoted in Boswell's Life of Johnson
Add religion into the mix with nationalism/patriotism and any semblance of rationality is impossible.

imokyrok

This satirical example of Beck speak is amusing:

But, friends, I think we're taking our eyes off the real international Jewish conspiracy, started by someone who called himself "Jesus Christ." Or is that his real name?

Joshua of Nazareth, whose agents call him by his Greek alias "Jesus Christos," was a Palestinian Jew with a very serious criminal record, someone routinely denounced by responsible religious leaders. He is on public record threatening the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem, which (coincidence?) was subsequently destroyed. "Christos" began with a small conspiracy of 12 followers, each of whom was instructed to go out and make further converts who would go out and make further converts, until today the conspiracy is literally over a billion people. And what were those people pledged to do?

Destroy capitalism. Redistribute wealth. Look down on the hard-working rich, and the rightful Roman authorities, while doing just about everything for criminals, sex workers, and the poor. Does that sound American to you?

Listen to this hate speech: "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter heaven." Why the persecution of the rich? Why the Jewish liberal class warfare? How long are we going to stand for this?
It's always about giving to the poor, and giving to the poor, and taking from the rich. In Jesus's world, a poor widow who gives two tiny coins to chairty is somehow better than a rich person who makes a large, generous donation? And why? Just because he's rich and she's poor! Do the research for yourself; some of his followers (who use assumed names themselves) actually brag about him saying these things, and he's said all kinds of things like it.

And do you know who Jesus wants to give your hard earned money to? Lepers. That's right. And minorities, like the Samaritans, because for Jesus it's "racist" to love your own group more than the other. He tells all of these little "teaching" stories about Samaritans who are better and kinder and more religious than Jews! That's the kind of hatred we're dealing with.

Maybe it's too late this international Jewish conspiracy to foster peace, charity and love. But don't worry. There are plenty of hard-working, true believing Americans all over this country right now, doing their damnedest to stop it. And they've still got a fighting chance.
International Jewish Conspiracy REVEALED! | dagblog

soubresauts

There's an interesting perspective on Beck and the Tea Party people here -- a full-page open letter by Dr Matthias Rath published in the New York Times. Quote:
1. This information alerts the people of America that the radicalization of society and the polarization of political life is organized and financed by the Oil and Drug Cartel – with the goal to regain control over the White House and the country.
2. It exposes the ‘Tea Party’ and other so-called ‘grassroots’ movements as agents of the Oil and Drug Cartel.
3. It reveals the strategic aim of these groups: destabilization of the democratically elected government via the instigation of civil unrest – under the pretext of defending constitutional rights and carrying out the will of God...

Goober

"If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague."

ManOfReason

Two points:

1. Glen Beck is right on one thing: George Soros is a ******************************.

2. People who decide people who have a different world view then them must be stupid are, well, stupid :)

farnaby

Now we all know that Americans cover much the same IQ curve as anywhere else in the world and that therefore the perception that they have stupendous numbers of uneducated and ignorant people is false. But it sure doesn't feel false when you are bombarded everywhere you go by idiots who believe every word, every conspiracy theory out of Glenn Becks mouth and who determine their views on important scientific matters according to what their pastor or politician tells them to believe.
Two reasons to offer:
1. Americans are encouraged to express their opinions freely without fear of ridicule. This enthusiasm is a good thing in many cases, but unfortunately results in opinions without basis (see 2)
2. Many Americans are intellectual fundamentalists in that the Bible and the principles of the founding fathers (resulting in manifest destiny and American exceptionalism) are sufficient to make every political decision. This results in little curiousity about alternatives to the American way.

Let's not be smug - we have far too little of 1 (too much ridicule) and regarding 2 have too much deference to outsiders, regarding both realpolitikal and theoretical issues.

Didimus

“If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country.”

E M Forster

East Coast Elitist

Is there no respite? Here's a thought: Stop Googling "Glenn Beck." And if you stumble upon him accidentally, just don't open the article. It's generally acknowledged that the Internet actually serves to reinforce people's world views, allowing them to read primarily what they already believe and ignore what they don't want to hear. You don't really have to wait for translations of Chinese and Indian news sources to avoid the spectacle that is the Fox News anchor--unless, of course, you really enjoy the feeling of superiority it inevitably gives you (I think I might, but my distaste for the screaming and idiocy helps me control any desire to click.)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies