• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is there room for UKIP in NI politics?

IrishWelshCelt

After UKIP's stunning performance in the english council elections yesterday in which they received on average 25% of the vote I was wondering is there room for them in NI politics?

I'm aware they've run before in the north but with new previously unfounded success can they make avenues into NI and would or would the tribal politics see them excluded? I was in particular thinking about Euro elections where in great britian they took 16% of the vote in 2009 even when they werent the hot topic of the day. If they do run in the euro elections would that mean two nationalists MEPs for NI or would they draw votes from both nationalists and unionists?

Ribeye

You don't understand what UKIP is,

"nationalists and unionists"

Lol:)

Swords Hoopster

I don't know but I always found it slightly ironic that the UK would have an "independence" party when such notions wouldn't exactly be synonymous with the United Kingdom's legacy in the decades and Centuries of yore.

I guess they don't like being on the other end of being ruled from somewhere else!!!

Ó Ghabhainn

If they do run in the euro elections would that mean two nationalists MEPs for NI or would they draw votes from both nationalists and unionists?
Nationalist? Irish Nationalists would not vote for UK Nationalists. UK independence means a break-away from Europe, not a break-up of the UK.

IrishWelshCelt

You don't understand what UKIP is,

"nationalists and unionists"

Lol:)
I understand exactly what UKIP is, yes they support the UK union but the idea of leaving the EU isnt mutally exclusive to unionism.

Ribeye

I understand exactly what UKIP is, yes they support the UK union but the idea of leaving the EU isnt mutally exclusive to unionism.
No, you don't my friend,

PeacefulViking

I don't know but I always found it slightly ironic that the UK would have an "independence" party when such notions wouldn't exactly be synonymous with the United Kingdom's legacy in the decades and Centuries of yore.

I guess they don't like being on the other end of being ruled from somewhere else!!!
How many of today's Brits were involved with that history?

And I wonder whether your sense of irony is impartial. Pretty much every country has a history of at least attempted imperialism. I am sure even one or two Irish people have been involved. (Either as part of the British Empire, or earlier than that trying to expand the borders of whatever local kingdom they ruled over.)

IrishWelshCelt

Before I do, can you tell me where you stand on the issue of a United Ireland,
Pro UI and yes UKIP are pro UK union but thats in the same way the conservaties/labour are, its not like DUP/UUP where its a major policy point. From a mere point of view of the seperation of the link with the EU UKIP could pick up 3rd prefernce from nationalists in a EU election

Ribeye

Pro UI and yes UKIP are pro UK union but thats in the same way the conservaties/labour are, its not like DUP/UUP where its a major policy point. From a mere point of view of the seperation of the link with the EU UKIP could pick up 3rd prefernce from nationalists in a EU election
What would you say is your main reason for being pro UI?

drummed

Right. But if the UK leaves the EU and the Republic does'nt then the prospect of a UI is reduced? Would the Nordies then have to apply to join the EU all over again? I don't see how creating another division between north and south helps unity:confused:

drummed

Where did the Ribsters discussion of a certain company get to last night? Story?

InsideImDancing

Right. But if the UK leaves the EU and the Republic does'nt then the prospect of a UI is reduced? Would the Nordies then have to apply to join the EU all over again? I don't see how creating another division between north and south helps unity:confused:
I take your point here but I think there's the chance that it could go the other way. If the UK leaves the EU then it might give people in the north another reason to vote for a UI.

drummed

I take your point here but I think there's the chance that it could go the other way. If the UK leaves the EU then it might give people in the north another reason to vote for a UI.
That would be a high risk strategy i'd imagine. Trouble is after a few years north and south would have drifted apart in legal terms and such like as we continue in the EU and the north is in the UK. The gap would be very wide after a while and a UI would cause all sorts of complications. For one thing the nordies would need the EU to welcome them back even after they helped the UK leave in the first place. The EU hardly needs NI so good luck with the plan. I think it's a totally daft idea which will just widen the gap between north and south.

Plus you'll have to convince the unionists not just to leave the UK but now to join the EU as well which many may have voted to leave? Why are you making life difficult for yourself? Any move to leave the EU by the UK is bad news for hopes of a UI.

Ribeye

Swords Hoopster

How many of today's Brits were involved with that history?

And I wonder whether your sense of irony is impartial. Pretty much every country has a history of at least attempted imperialism. I am sure even one or two Irish people have been involved. (Either as part of the British Empire, or earlier than that trying to expand the borders of whatever local kingdom they ruled over.)
And that supposed to be from a totally unaligned, impartial Swede with an unexplained interest in Irish politics......................................... :roll:

I've only one thing to say to you Viking:

You are the dancing Queen, young and sweet, only seventeen
Dancing Queen, feel the beat from the tamborine
You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, diggin' the dancing queen

InsideImDancing

That would be a high risk strategy i'd imagine. Trouble is after a few years north and south would have drifted apart in legal terms and such like as we continue in the EU and the north is in the UK. The gap would be very wide after a while and a UI would cause all sorts of complications. For one thing the nordies would need the EU to welcome them back even after they helped the UK leave in the first place. The EU hardly needs NI so good luck with the plan. I think it's a totally daft idea which will just widen the gap between north and south.

Plus you'll have to convince the unionists not just to leave the UK but now to join the EU as well which many may have voted to leave? Why are you making life difficult for yourself? Any move to leave the EU by the UK is bad news for hopes of a UI.
I'm not making life difficult for myself, it was just a suggestion, you're probably right and maybe it is daft, but I do think the EU is the future, I don't see much going back on it tbh.

Look at it this way, If the UK left the EU then Nationalists would have two points to argue. They could argue the benefits of the EU and of a UI. Currently it seems that Unionists will never vote for a UI, adding the argument for the European Union may sway a few. It depends on whether you think the EU is beneficial or not, I bet there is a fair Unionists out there who do.

As for NI not being able to rejoin the EU in the event of a UI, let us not get silly here, that simply will not happen, there is no reason for it to happen.:)

DT123

I'm not making life difficult for myself, it was just a suggestion, you're probably right and maybe it is daft, but I do think the EU is the future, I don't see much going back on it tbh.

Look at it this way, If the UK left the EU then Nationalists would have two points to argue. They could argue the benefits of the EU and of a UI. Currently it seems that Unionists will never vote for a UI, adding the argument for the European Union may sway a few. It depends on whether you think the EU is beneficial or not, I bet there is a fair Unionists out there who do.

As for NI not being able to rejoin the EU in the event of a UI, let us not get silly here, that simply will not happen, there is no reason for it to happen.:)
The UK is a nett contributor to the EU and is in the red in trade with the EU.What are the benefits to the UK in being in the EU?