Is this a good time to end Compulsory Irish?

DJP

What do they see through Irish-Irish eyes that is different? Can you give some examples?

Are the cars a different colour? Or shape? Are the mountains higher or lower? Are roads longer, shorter, wider, smoother or rougher? Are Trump's tweets intelligent and cultured? Do traffic jams disappear?

Can you give some concrete examples of how that works in practice in the case of Irish and this nation?

The children in school - what changes occur in their way of living by learning Irish? In their families' way of living? Are the relationships among pupils in Gaelscoileanna different to those between other young people up and down their streets?
If you don't know that the world is viewed differently by speakers of different languages then you are perhaps more ignorant than I thought you were.

DJP

The efforts to turn a symbolic language into a used language were based on a confusion of imagery and reality and they failed.
Irish was a used language in 1922 and still is and will be long after you are gone.

Cai

What do they see through Irish-Irish eyes that is different? Can you give some examples?

Are the cars a different colour? Or shape? Are the mountains higher or lower? Are roads longer, shorter, wider, smoother or rougher? Are Trump's tweets intelligent and cultured? Do traffic jams disappear?
The cultural influences you experience shapes the way you see the world. Welsh speakers aren’t a homogenous group - they’re spread out all over the country & beyond.

But Welsh speaking Welsh people are more likely to favour independence, to be socially liberal, to be pacifist, to be anti Brexit etc than non Welsh speaking Welsh people.

I’d be surprised if access to Irish language culture didn’t have an impact on people’s wider world view.

Dame_Enda

I think we should be more ambitious with promoting the language, as well as more imaginative.

We should promote networking among fluent Irish speakers to create critical mass, and make it easier for businesses to work through Irish.

Some migrants are good at the language. We should look at settling speakers on the border of Gaeltacht regions with a view to gradual expansion of the Gaeltacht eastwards.

wombat

Can you give some concrete examples of how that works in practice in the case of Irish and this nation?

The children in school - what changes occur in their way of living by learning Irish? In their families' way of living? Are the relationships among pupils in Gaelscoileanna different to those between other young people up and down their streets?
You can ask the same questions about any school subject. What is the impact of studying Algebra for the majority of people?

redneck

Irish Gaelic culture has always been welcoming. The expression is "Céad Míle Fáilte". A hundred thousand welcomes.
We even tolerate gobdaws like FWI.

redneck

Yesterday in Croke park, the Islam festival Eid was welcomed. Inné bhí aifreann Islamach ann i pairc Uí Crocaigh.

redneck

Those who want to speak Irish should be allowed to. But please leave the rest of us to make our choice, But then you may not like us having a choice. English is the language of the world.
Tell that to the Spanish, French, Chinese, Russians, Mexicans, Israelis, Arabs. But yes, English is practically the lingua france. Slan

Fun with Irish

If you don't know that the world is viewed differently by speakers of different languages then you are perhaps more ignorant than I thought you were.
Give me a few examples using English-speaking Irish people in contrast with Gaelic-speaking Irish people.

(In your own words)

Fun with Irish

The cultural influences you experience shapes the way you see the world ............... I’d be surprised if access to Irish language culture didn’t have an impact on people’s wider world view.
A few illustrative examples would be welcome - contrasting the world views of Ireland's English speakers and Ireland's Irish speakers.

DJP

Give me a few examples using English-speaking Irish people in contrast with Gaelic-speaking Irish people.

(In your own words)
In my own words, no I am not going to bother. You constantly disparage Irish speakers and the Irish language on this site.

Fun with Irish

Some migrants are good at the language. We should look at settling speakers on the border of Gaeltacht regions with a view to gradual expansion of the Gaeltacht eastwards.
A variant of this strategy in being implemented under the Gaeltacht Education Scheme.

20 out of the 26 Gaeltacht Language Planning Areas have English-speaking majorities and the aim is to re-Gaelicise them.

Fun with Irish

In my own words, no I am not going to bother. You constantly disparage Irish speakers and the Irish language on this site.
Ah go on! Give us even one example of how the world view of an Irish person differs depending on whether he or she speaks English or Irish.

DJP

Ah go on! Give us even one example of how the world view of an Irish person differs depending on whether he or she speaks English or Irish.
No, you're an anal strange old man.

Fun with Irish

No, you're an anal strange old man.
I'll take in then that you can give no example of how the world view of an English-speaking Irishman or Irish woman is changed by doing the Cúpla Focal.

Maybe the case is different for people reared through Irish? The Central Statistics Office estimated their number as 1.1% of the population over the age of 18. Can you give an example of that group having a world-view different from that of the other 98.9% of the over-18 population?

toughbutfair

Tell that to the Spanish, French, Chinese, Russians, Mexicans, Israelis, Arabs. But yes, English is practically the lingua france. Slan
Many people in Spain and China (don’t know about the other countries) don’t speak Spanish or “Chinese”(Mandarin) as their mother tongue. At home , they may speak Basque, Gallego , Wu etc and then go to work and speak Castilian Spanish or Mandarin Chinese. I was speaking to a Chinese woman recently who parents, born and bred in China, didn’t speak what you would call Chinese. A generation can make the switch to be bilingual.

DJP

Maybe the case is different for people reared through Irish? The Central Statistics Office estimated their number as 1.1% of the population over the age of 18. Can you give an example of that group having a world-view different from that of the other 98.9% of the over-18 population?
I initially said below, with an emphasis on "many".

Apart from the love many Irish speakers have of seeing the world through Irish-Irish eyes

toughbutfair

Just wondering whether anyone else is studying Irish ? My level is extremely low (was decent 25 years ago) so just doing introductions, weather, family etc at the moment. Any tips re good resources ?

redneck

Just wondering whether anyone else is studying Irish ? My level is extremely low (was decent 25 years ago) so just doing introductions, weather, family etc at the moment. Any tips re good resources ?
Hi if you are on facebook there is a few discussion groups. Gaeilge amháin, Duolingo, being two.
There are also plenty of Comhrá Ciorcal Gaeilge. Check out www.cnag.ie.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom