• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is this a responsible act on Immigration by the Swiss?

realistic1

A group of Swiss environmentalists has collected enough signatures to force a national referendum on immigration. The grouping has collected a petition with 120,700 certified signatures to force a referendum on immigration control. Is this a responsible act by Swiss citizens or will it lead to more anti-immigrant attacks etc.?

BBC News - Swiss Ecopop group forces immigration referendum

greengoose2

A group of Swiss environmentalists has collected enough signatures to force a national referendum on immigration. The grouping has collected a petition with 120,700 certified signatures to force a referendum on immigration control. Is this a responsible act by Swiss citizens or will it lead to more anti-immigrant attacks etc.?

Lets get our own scruffy house in order before we comment on others.

RobertW

For the purposes of this article I suspect that "immigrants" also refer to EU citizens.

Perhaps the EU could impose quotas on Swiss citizens entering the EU in retaliation.

Hewson

Why anybody would want to emigrate to the most boring country on the planet is beyond me.

Switzerland for the Swiss!

And they're more than welcome to it.

Twin Towers

Would that Irish citizens could collect signatures to call referenda. We are only fooling ourselves if we think we are living in some kind of democracy here.

realistic1

For the purposes of this article I suspect that "immigrants" also refer to EU citizens.

Perhaps the EU could impose quotas on Swiss citizens entering the EU in retaliation.
Looking at the amount of support this petition had, I dont think it would bother the Swiss if such a quota was introduced.

Mountaintop

Would that Irish citizens could collect signatures to call referenda. We are only fooling ourselves if we think we are living in some kind of democracy here.
My weekends are precious!!...If this place is representative.....I wouldn't fancy spending every Saturday remaining in my lifetime voting in referenda, alternating between abortion and reunification.

TheMushyStuff

Well it seems sensible to limit immigration for the time being.
We should do that here.

Victor Meldrew

Why anybody would want to emigrate to the most boring country on the planet is beyond me.

Switzerland for the Swiss! And they're more than welcome to it.
If by boring you mean, clean, well run, safe, wealthy, well educated....

Then I'll take my chances. Beside, France, Germany and Italy are beside you when you get bored....

carruthers

I cannot see how ordinary citizens having a say in how their country is run could be considered a bad thing. Our 'leaders' have been little better than sycophants whilst in Europe. We have had no say and no debate in reality on immigration. Plenty of name calling, but no debate.

hoipolloi

Most interesting: wonder if they'll include the immigration of finance into their banking system.

Ulster-Lad

Of course it is a good idea for Switzerland but Switzerland is not part of the EU. Therefore Switzerland can call referendums such as this with little bother from the EU.

They are part of the EFTA allowing them free trade though.

Spirit Of Newgrange

meanwhile the rest of us refuse to discuss the wholesale replacement of our nation by third-world foreigners. its already too late to have that discussion in UK/France/Holland ...... soon ireland will have disappeared under a tsunami of economic migrants

Hewson

If by boring you mean, clean, well run, safe, wealthy, well educated....

Then I'll take my chances. Beside, France, Germany and Italy are beside you when you get bored....
Not to mention the handsome profit they made from acting as a boarding house for Nazi loot stolen from the Jews they sent to their deaths in the camps.

And the moral bankruptcy of its 'no questions' banking system.

Spirit Of Newgrange

Not to mention the handsome profit they made from acting as a boarding house for Nazi loot stolen from the Jews they sent to their deaths in the camps.

'Hewson' ? is this bono moralising on financial probity ? where do you pay your taxes ? to a foreign country ?

Potatoeman

Wasn’t Israel involved in the blood diamond trade?

greengoose2

We have our own unique banking system which is the subject of all of our current woes.

As for the Godwin bit,; try to remember Dev's stance on that situation! Emergency my arse!

Hewson

'Hewson' ? is this bono moralising on financial probity ? where do you pay your taxes ? to a foreign country ?
Bono pays his taxes in his country of residence: Ireland.

And please don't bore me again with the 'Holland' connection. It's been done to death.