Is this H&M advert racist or is it just coincidental that a black child was chosen to model in this clothing?

Politics matters

Is this H&M advert racist or is it just coincidental that a black child was chosen to model in this clothing?

H&M advertised a picture of a black child sporting a jumper which says "Coolest Monkey in the Jungle".

Do you think the motivations behind H&M were entirely racist or was this just a miss understanding?

Adults often refer to children as monkeys in an unoffensive way, often to explain their often wild behavior.
However on occasion the word has been used as a racial slur towards blacks.

Many people are unhappy with H&M due to this advert. One black artist named "The Weekend" who collaborated with H&M has vowed never to work with them again because of this incident. P Diddy also vented his anger at H&M over this advert.

Are they overreacting? Is this another example of politically correct liberals being overly sensitive towards race?

H&M faces customer boycott over 'racist' hoodie advertising campaign | The Independent

CookieMonster

H&M advertised a picture of a black child sporting a jumper which says "Coolest Monkey in the Jungle".

Do you think the motivations behind H&M were entirely racist or was this just a miss understanding?

Adults often refer to children as monkeys in an unoffensive way, often to explain their often wild behavior.
However on occasion the word has been used as a racial slur towards blacks.

Many people are unhappy with H&M due to this advert. One black artist named "The Weekend" who collaborated with H&M has vowed never to work with them again because of this incident. P Diddy also vented his anger at H&M over this advert.

Are they overreacting? Is this another example of politically correct liberals being overly sensitive towards race?

H&M faces customer boycott over 'racist' hoodie advertising campaign | The Independent

Is it racist? No.
Is it insensitive? Yes.
Will P.ie's sad little alt-right wanna be fanboys sh*t themselves over this? Absolutely.

razorblade

I stopped reading after the im offended bit what sort of fool gets offended on the behalf of others the child seemed to be ok with wearing the jumper so whats the problem.

Half Nelson

How did H&M not see this coming? :|

Betson

Someone in H&M should have seen this coming in this day and age of the easily offended , but there is no way they intentionally done this. They just did not think , and that was their problem. Really sloppy stuff from such a big company.

CookieMonster

I stopped reading after the im offended bit what sort of fool gets offended on the behalf of others the child seemed to be ok with wearing the jumper so whats the problem.
Who wouldn't be offended putting a black child in a hoodie referencing monkeys, such was, and is, a common racial slur. Just look at the abuse your idol Yiannopoulos had his fan boys drum up against Leslie Jones.

CookieMonster

Someone in H&M should have seen this coming in this day and age of the easily offended , but there is no way they intentionally done this. They just did not think , and that was their problem. Really sloppy stuff from such a big company.
I suspect that too. Very careless.

Interestedhopeful

Some of their style, web or graphics guys were obviously trolling them and they didn't pick up on it. I'd say once they're found out they'll be getting the P45.

It's a bit of a stupid thing to do given what we know about viral outrage even though it doesn't reach most actual customers. Equally this idea from the tweets that it's a "waycist conspiracy" to appeal to racists is nonsense, if that market was big we wouldn't be where we are.

Last edited:

razorblade

Who wouldn't be offended putting a black child in a hoodie referencing monkeys, such was, and is, a common racial slur. Just look at the abuse your idol Yiannopoulos had his fan boys drum up against Leslie Jones.
When have i ever expressed support for the fella you have just mentioned in fact i don't recall ever mentioning him on this site but you can imagine it if you want to I really couldn't care less.

CookieMonster

When have i ever expressed support for the fella you have just mentioned in fact i don't recall ever mentioning him on this site but you can imagine it if you want to I really couldn't care less.
Oh no, did I upset you?

Politics matters

Milo ain't racist, he loves sucking black willy.

razorblade

You sound offended.
No I'm just sick to the back death of people taken offense for the sake of offense why get offended by something which clearly isn't directed at you and which isn't intended to be offensive its just so nonsensical.

New Threads

Most Replies