Is this safe weather for air travel?

RahenyFG

I am concerned about the weather and how it may impact flights. I am due to fly to Manchester on Wednesday mid-day and am to depart at 7 from Manchester back to Dublin on Thursday night. However, being a nervous flyer plus the spate of bad weather which includes blizzards, fog and thunder and lightning has me terrified to my core to fly even if it is a 45 minute flight. Is there anyone who can reassure me there is no danger or advise me definitely not to fly?

quackquack

I'd be more worried about getting to the airport if i was you.
Planes fly in much worse than this every day.

We're not the only country in the world with snow.
Santa seems to do alright as well.

Only danger would be a few green party members hanging onto the wings trying to slap a carbon tax on the back of the plane....

PAD1OH

the planes absolutely won't fly if there is any danger.

because we're in the environment section to show you the sail and rail options to manchester SailRail :)

i just checked a return price from manchester to dublin and it's £55 but I don't know the reverse

Edo

Raheny - you'll be grand

Im a nervous flyer too - the more i've flown the more nervous I get - its irrational.

Aircraft are well stress tested well beyond any thing the weather in Europe will throw at ya - the damn things can virtually fly themselves these days - and by far the safest way to travel.

Dublin to manchester - you'll be going up for 10 minutes and descending for the rest - it will be over before you know it.

Have a shot of rescue remedy and dig into a book!

SkatesOn

I am concerned about the weather and how it may impact flights. I am due to fly to Manchester on Wednesday mid-day and am to depart at 7 from Manchester back to Dublin on Thursday night. However, being a nervous flyer plus the spate of bad weather which includes blizzards, fog and thunder and lightning has me terrified to my core to fly even if it is a 45 minute flight. Is there anyone who can reassure me there is no danger or advise me definitely not to fly?
The flying part should be OK, it's the takeoff and landing that you would need to be worried about.

Boy M5

Fully agree - if you are a nervous flyer & you are flying in an airbus (Aer Lingus use them)I recommend that you read Miracle on the Hudson about how safe Airbuses are, perhaps the safest aircraft design in the air. If you are flying Ryanair the 737 is very safe, perhaps given the age of its original design statistically the safest plane in the air & if you're on Aer Arran / Aer Lingus Regional their ATRs are also very safe & rugged / robust.

You see the pattern?

The airport runways have to be clear of black ice or anything else nasty. Also the planes will be deiced & have anti ice technology to ensure their control surfaces are functioning properly.

Run_to_da_hills

Before the plane takes off just remind the pilot to clean the ice from the pitot tubes.

hiding behind a poster

You're fine. The way it works is that the airports in question must regularly test the condition of the runways, to see how much snow and ice is on them, and if they're slippery. This is done with some very precise equipment, and the pilots who are either coming in or going out are given those figures. Basically, if the figures are lower than what the plane is allowed take off or land with, then they don't even try until there's an improvement. As for wind, again ATC regularly give pilots the wind strength and direction, and again they have limits beyond which they won't attempt to either land or take off on a particular runway. The same goes for fog - while in the air, ATC keeps the aircraft away from each other via very high-tech radar, so it doesn't matter whether they can see anything out the window - and again on approach to land, there are very specific figures for ground visibility, and if they're lower than what the aircraft and/or the pilots are certified to land in, then they won't even try (also, every aircraft and crew has a so-called "decision height", for example 200 feet off the ground, at which point, if they can't see the runway, they pull up immediately - the radio beam they were flying along being sufficiently accurate to take them to that point). Finally, there's lightning, which very rarely brings down aircraft, though it does sometimes strike them - though again, all aircraft have high-tech weather radar which detects thunderstorm activity. As soon as they see it, the pilots just tell ATC which way they need to turn to steer clear, and they're invariably sorted out.

Finally, I'd suggest you consider this - the pilots have just as much of a vested interest in the plane staying safe as you do. A simple thought, but a highly reassuring one!

Last edited:

GDPR

Are our airports better prepared this year for the same kind of weather we had last year? Judging from the lack of grit on our roads over the weekend, I just hope the airports are better prepared than the council .

hiding behind a poster

AFAIK the only real danger of air travel in cold conditions is ice on the wings but we are nowhere near those temperatures. Just look at central & northern europe where air temperatue is regularly -20 C or below. They deice the wings before takeoff.
They de-ice the wings here too, if its cold enough (which, right now, it is). Again, there are very clear rules - once the wings are de-iced, if you're not airborne by a specified time, you go back and have them done again. Much better, as they say, to be down here wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were down here.

PAD1OH

Are our airports better prepared this year for the same kind of weather we had last year? Judging from the lack of grit on our roads over the weekend, I just hope the airports are better prepared than the council .
i know someone that flew today.

they said the wings were deiced and there were snow ploughs out with big piles of snow being shifted.

gatsbygirl20

Is this safe weather for air travel?

So long as you are getting out of this fekked-up colony of a country by whatever mode of transport is fastest, with your few savings in a swag-bag, you're safe as houses.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies