• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Is this the end of Orangism?

Mickeymac

THE “anti-Catholic” Orange Order is in terminal decline and can only survive if it abandons sectarianism, according to historian Tom Devine.

He said members of the Protestant fraternity are ageing and their marches in July commemorating the defeat of Catholic King James II by Dutch Protestant William of Orange in 1690 are “widely condemned by mainstream Scottish opinion”.

The Sunday Herald revealed last year that the first prize in a fancy dress competition organised by Airdrie-based Whinhall True Blues Flute Band and held in an Orange Hall went to a man and woman dressed as Adolf Hitler and wife Eva Braun, and two children dressed in rags branded with a yellow star similar to the one Jewish people were forced to wear by the Nazis..........read on.....

This report comes on the heels of many unionists, who have close links to the OO, many of whom are members, losing their seats in the North of Ireland elections which were held last week.......Is this the shape of things to come as Britain is nearing exit from the EU and Ireland towards reunification and maintaining their place in the EU?

bang bang

THE “anti-Catholic” Orange Order is in terminal decline and can only survive if it abandons sectarianism, according to historian Tom Devine.

He said members of the Protestant fraternity are ageing and their marches in July commemorating the defeat of Catholic King James II by Dutch Protestant William of Orange in 1690 are “widely condemned by mainstream Scottish opinion”.

The Sunday Herald revealed last year that the first prize in a fancy dress competition organised by Airdrie-based Whinhall True Blues Flute Band and held in an Orange Hall went to a man and woman dressed as Adolf Hitler and wife Eva Braun, and two children dressed in rags branded with a yellow star similar to the one Jewish people were forced to wear by the Nazis..........read on.....

This report comes on the heels of many unionists, who have close links to the OO, many of whom are members, losing their seats in the North of Ireland elections which were held last week.......Is this the shape of things to come as Britain is nearing exit from the EU and Ireland towards reunification and maintaining their place in the EU?
I certainly hope so, they won't be missed.

Mickeymac

I certainly hope so, they won't be missed.

I was very optimistic about the future of the six counties after reading that article and like most folk, I believe it is a step in the right direction to eliminate religious hatred in not only Scotland but in the six counties as well.

Ardillaun

One can be 'optimistic' on this front given that we are all sitting in front of our screens these days. Groups like the Order are disappearing as part of a general trend which will bring negative consequences as well.

Marcella

The Orange Order has been a cancer within our society for centuries. It has opposed every move toward equality ranging from Catholic emancipation to last year’s draft agreement to get Stormont back.

They’ve been dying out for a while now but the bands will remain. The question will be how to manage this cohort of young uneducated unionists. I would suggest a move toward something like the Belfast international tattoo. Take these bands off the streets and put them into arenas where like minded people can pay into watch and express their culture with money going to the bands, improving the lives of bandsmen.

Meanwhile the rest of us our saved the nuisance and hassle of closed roads and town centres.

Bigotry will still exist of course but much like the NI soccer team, it won’t be as obvious and will manifest itself behind closed doors.

Last edited:

AhNowStop

One can be 'optimistic' on this front given that we are all sitting in front of our screens these days. Groups like the Order are disappearing as part of a general trend which will bring negative consequences as well.
What possible downsides could the disappearance or decline of the pathetic sectarian OO bring ? ... upsides plenty .. downsides ? .. Nah :unsure:

Oh sure I nearly forgot, you're all for circumventing legal agreements & democracy itself to ensure the continuation of unionist hegemony so you'd obviously hate to see any demise in the OO :rolleyes:

Estragon

No need for the quote marks around anti-Catholic.

Ardillaun

What possible downsides could the disappearance or decline of the pathetic sectarian OO bring ? ... upsides plenty .. downsides ? .. Nah :unsure:
Oh sure I nearly forgot, you're all for circumventing legal agreements & democracy itself to ensure the continuation of unionist hegemony so you'd obviously hate to see any demise in the OO :rolleyes:
What I’m pointing to is the decline of voluntary associations across the West e.g. Knights of Columbus, AoH, Elks, Shriners etc. People have less time for this kind of thing now.

Regarding the OO in particular, I don’t see life in black and white terms. Nothing is 100% evil. Obviously, they were and are sectarian but try and see things from the other side’s point of view occasionally. It would do you good. Something positive about the OO? James Galway started there. A few weeks ago I met an Orangeman who lives with a relative of mine - lovely lad.

Last edited:

AhNowStop

What I’m pointing to is the decline of voluntary associations across the West e.g. Knights of Columbus, AoH, Elks, Shriners etc. People have less time for this kind of thing now.

Regarding the OO in particular, I don’t see life in black and white terms. Nothing is 100% evil. Obviously, they were and are sectarian but try and see things from the other side’s point of view occasionally. It would do you good. Something positive about the OO? James Galway started there. A few weeks ago I met an Orangeman who lives with a relative of mine - lovely lad.
James Galway has showed his disdain for the sectarian unionist hegemony many times now so I’d be amazed if he felt anything more than disgust for the Orange disorder

And thanks for the advice but I prefer not to view things from the POV of bigots ... the OO are a hateful organisation who are still holding, us that actually live here, back ..... Your simplistic & naive views don’t actually make a lot of sense in the real world I’m afraid

Mickeymac

James Galway has showed his disdain for the sectarian unionist hegemony many times now so I’d be amazed if he felt anything more than disgust for the Orange disorder

And thanks for the advice but I prefer not to view things from the POV of bigots ... the OO are a hateful organisation who are still holding, us that actually live here, back ..... Your simplistic & naive views don’t actually make a lot of sense in the real world I’m afraid

They will need better than Ardilaun for any PR work, the damage limitation the OO has attained is way too far outta reach for anyone to mend.😂

McSlaggart

James Galway played in bands. The bands should be the one aspect that I think should be supported to outlive the rest of the crap.

Mickeymac

James Galway played in bands. The bands should be the one aspect that I think should be supported to outlive the rest of the crap.

I don’t think James Galway would have been associated with such bands who brought disgrace and shame to the world of arts sir.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies