• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Is This The Next Paisley?

picador

Meet Jonny Harvey, leader of 'United Protestant Voice'. Jonny is the former RAF-sergeant from East Belfast, who has been whipping up the flag-protests around the north. He claims to articulate the voice of 'people on the ground' and is in no mood for compromise. The protests won't stop until the flag goes back up.

Jonny Harvey and Basil McCrea debate with BBC's Stephen Nolan:
Audioboo / Jonny Harvey from United Protestant Voice, one of the groups involved in the protests talks to Stephen

A thousand-strong crowd stood outside Belfast City Hall on Saturday, draped in flags while chanting 'We're up to our necks in Fenian blood'. Fascism is alive and well.

Kevin Doyle

Meet Jonny Harvey, leader of 'United Protestant Voice'. Jonny is the former RAF-sergeant from East Belfast, who has been whipping up the flag-protests around the north. He claims to articulate the voice of 'people on the ground' and is in no mood for compromise. The protests won't stop until the flag goes back up.

Audioboo / Jonny Harvey from United Protestant Voice, one of the groups involved in the protests talks to Stephen

A thousand-strong crowd stood outside Belfast City Hall on Saturday, draped in flags while chanting 'We're up to our necks in Fenian blood'. Fascism is alive and well.
I think the penny is finally starting to drop for these drooling morons that a Protestant Ulster for a Protestant people is gone the way of the Do Do.

Knee Jerk reactionary useful idiots like this clown will cash in on the fringe outrage within loyalism but the lack of any real unanimous anger within the protestant community should be enough to let these fools know they are living in the wrong century and no one takes them seriously anymore.

I also think the fact that Stephen Nolan tore him apart so easily highlights the calibre of the guy.

Last edited:

vivabrigada

At least he can fly himself to Canada if things heat up here, Paisley had to to pay for his ticket himself.

Ren84

Why do unionists always emphasise "Protestantism"? Not since the Catholic Defenders has nationalism/republicanism been linked with religion. More proof, not that it were needed, that unionism is a Prod only ideology.

Aristodemus

The title of his grouping seems to discount the notion of Catholic Unionists which gives credence to those who suspect him of being a bigot

vaudeville

Quite a coincidence that he arranged a protest on Monday and Golding is on the scene within days. Any connection?

Who were the 200 he claimed unanimously voted for him stated to Stephen Nolan?

james toney

Just listened to that on audiboo,and no wonder most unionists are cringing with embarrassment when you have the likes of that chap on the airwaves.
He hadn't a clue what he was talking about,and Nolan told him so.
First Jim Dowson,then Paul Golding,and now this guy is on the scene also?
This must be Loyalists answer to Moe,Larry and Curley.

Galloper Thompson

The thing that struck me, is he talked like us "Catholics" didnt exist......I think his "Protestants" are outnumbered in Belfast by around 30,000...there lies yer problem Jonny.....:)

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
United Protestant Voice - so they still don't want a Catholic about the place even though the tiags will outnumber them in about 10 years time !!!!!

They haven't gone away yuo know !!!!

Mackers

So it would seem we have come full circle from the Ulster Protestant Volunteers to the Ulster Protestant Voice.

It at first boggles the depth of belief that the BBC give the amount of air time to this prat. But then he opens his gob and pours forth the tripe that in all honesty thankfully most sane people of all backgrounds ignore. In particular when it came to his bottom line where he stated it was the Union Flag being put back up 365 days a year. What about the democratic vote to the contrary? Doesn't count. What about the City commerce being choked? Doesn't count. What about equality with non Unionists. Doesn't count.

What does count? The 200 people who met, we no not when, nor where, that "voted" for this no mark to usurp the democratic will of a majority of Belfast City Councillors and the people who both elected them and who actually pay rates to that body. Yes folks the 200 golden elite who came together to over rule the wishes of the electorite hold sway with this eejit. In any other country worth it's salt this moron would be getting laughed out of court. But here he is given air time to spew this c rap to the hard pressed people trying to live their lives in the face of cuts and job losses. You couldn't make this up.

Fair play to Basil McCrea for trying to enlighten the fool, he'd be better saving his breath. Lights are on no one at home.

Northtipp

I just listened to that entire interview. In actual fact the chap speaking, ie Harvey, is quite an articulate speaker. You would imagine that given that ability to articulate and in listening to him, given his ability to hold his own in a debate , that he would therefore have left us with a clear vision of what he and these protestors want . He says it's not just about the flag but if it's not put back on the city hall 365 days per year then That's a deal breaker. He was repeatedly asked for his vision, his Strategy and his plan. He simply didn't have one. Now for me, thats indicative of what has happened here. The flag is a mere excuse. No politician or representative has said what all this nonsense is really about. Thats because they dont really know. There seems to be some inner belief that themuns are dong better but no evidence of that. Personally I think it's equality that has Harvey and his type rattled. It's not an easy concept to get to grips with. What he does not seem to grasp is that there was a compromise on the flag already . It's a strange scenario. It kinda looks like a stance of " we want something, we aren't sure what it is, but hey we bloody well want it now"

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Its not so much this guy was shown up by Nolan... It was the argument the loyalists are trying to make. To any reasonable person they are just plain foolish... They make no sense, you cant bully people into reversing a democratic decision in the United Kingdom... A country that did more to spread democracy than most... And if you can I am really glad the ROI is independent of it.

Their goals are awful, Marching and flags? What about jobs? Education for your children, the international image of the country they profess to love so much... All they do is hurt Northern Ireland...

And if Unionist politicians had any sense or desire to make Northern Ireland a better place they would marginalise these fools further. Alienate this nasty bullying tribe of fascists further...

And i hope its obvious i think the same for Nationalists and Republicans to the same knuckle draggers and murderers on their side.
" the United Kingdom... A country that did more to spread democracy than most " Ehhmmm Eammon, never hear of British Imperialism ? And just remember, the Yanks had to kick them out to create the model for modern democracy. The Brits did everything possible to hamper democracy wherever they occupied, including a certain country that was partitioned in 1922 ;)

C

Castle Ray

I just listened to that entire interview. In actual fact the chap speaking, ie Harvey, is quite an articulate speaker. You would imagine that given that ability to articulate and in listening to him, given his ability to hold his own in a debate , that he would therefore have left us with a clear vision of what he and these protestors want . He says it's not just about the flag but if it's not put back on the city hall 365 days per year then That's a deal breaker. He was repeatedly asked for his vision, his Strategy and his plan. He simply didn't have one. Now for me, thats indicative of what has happened here. The flag is a mere excuse. No politician or representative has said what all this nonsense is really about. Thats because they dont really know. There seems to be some inner belief that themuns are dong better but no evidence of that. Personally I think it's equality that has Harvey and his type rattled. It's not an easy concept to get to grips with. What he does not seem to grasp is that there was a compromise on the flag already . It's a strange scenario. It kinda looks like a stance of " we want something, we aren't sure what it is, but hey we bloody well want it now"
Are you talking about the flag issue as articulated by Harvey or Irish nationalism as articulated by nationalist parties? Without a strategy and plan both are futile but it doesn't stop either. All this flag protest and violence is just tribal copying. If it's seen to work for one, the other will do it.

Éamonn an Chnoic

" the United Kingdom... A country that did more to spread democracy than most " Ehhmmm Eammon, never hear of British Imperialism ? And just remember, the Yanks had to kick them out to create the model for modern democracy. The Brits did everything possible to hamper democracy wherever they occupied, including a certain country that was partitioned in 1922 ;)
Still the UK did more than any other nation to spread democracy... Look at the anglosphere/commonwealth countries today... There was a form of democracy in Ireland under the UK. Massively unfair form for a long time, but we had 118 seats in Westminister before we left, 103 sinn feiners. Dont get me wrong i am glad we did leave...

I was only making the point that Loyalist who claim loyalty to Britain are attempting to tarnish one of the best things Britain contributed to throughout the world. The spread of democracy. This thread is not about the the wrongs and rights of the British empire. It is about a group of people who for some reason thinks extremist Britishness supersedes democracy and common law in 2012... I am mortified for them....

Northtipp

Are you talking about the flag issue as articulated by Harvey or Irish nationalism as articulated by nationalist parties? Without a strategy and plan both are futile but it doesn't stop either. All this flag protest and violence is just tribal copying. If it's seen to work for one, the other will do it.
Amazing how you managed to answer your own question which was on its own disconnected from my post. Good man.

RedCloud

I'm just wondering what our neighbours in Southern ireland make of it all ?
Unity ya say,me bucko ? Aha hahaha :)

McSlaggart

I'm just wondering what our neighbours in Southern ireland make of it all ?
Unity ya say,me bucko ? Aha hahaha :)
Their is something sad in the way average Unionists in my area is ashamed of these protests. One is left to wonder how many more Unionists will emigrate because of these protests?