Is trolling back acceptable ? E.g. vs Trump or Alt Right

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
So my definition of troll is:

An operator who is insincere in the information space, seeking to frustrate debate, or create misinformation,/misperception

That type of behavior is not ethical

However...countering trolling via trolling, is probably ethical

The New York Times is trolling back, and the White House fell for it, and the Press Secretary released the article below as talking points:

NYT - We Ran Out of Words to Describe How Good the Jobs Numbers Are
The real question in analyzing the May jobs numbers released Friday is whether there are enough synonyms for “good” in an online thesaurus to describe them adequately.

So, for example, “splendid” and “excellent” fit the bill. Those are the kinds of terms that are appropriate when the United States economy adds 223,000 jobs in a month, despite being nine years into an expansion, and when the unemployment rate falls to 3.8 percent, a new 18-year low.

“Salubrious,” “salutary” and “healthy” work as words to describe the 0.3 percent rise in average hourly earnings,
The jobless rate for African-Americans fell to 5.9 percent, the lowest on record, which we would count as “great.”

If anything, some of the thesaurus offerings don’t really do these numbers justice. But some aspects of the report would
(Bingo prizes for references other than the obvious Dr. Harold Bornstein takedown )

Cyp

GDPR

A quick scoot round the internet showed me what I expected: never try and out-troll a troll. NYTs parody is taken at face value by Trump supporters, and more moderate commentary has simply ignored it. Trump is beyond parody. Yesterday he claimed Kim had sent him a "very interesting letter" and then two minutes later said he hadnt read it. The WH doesnt need to be baited or entrapped into making a fool of themselves. All it does is make the NYT seem closer to "The Onion" than The Paper of Record, and that is exactly how Trump likes it.

Good link here on why nothing works. petunia

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/06/10/the-backfire-effect/

fifilawe

have you forgotten to take your medication , ? another zoo OP
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I must not respond to anymore messages from this LOOOOON!

GDPR

And we are left with a large part of the attentive population saying “huh” “so” “so what” “I don’t care” or “fake news”. Nobody who matters cares.

Trump himself believes (or convinces himself temporarily) that everything he sees on Fox is true.

I personally think that satire only really works when there is an underlying consensus in society that certain behaviours are out of bounds, especially for those in positions of power, or that there is such a thing as objective, verifiable truth, that is non-partisan. The problem now is the whole information sphere is so distorted and polluted that fighting fire with fire only adds to the general conflagration.

Sotired

So my definition of troll is:

An operator who is insincere in the information space, seeking to frustrate debate, or create misinformation,/misperception

That type of behavior is not ethical

However...countering trolling via trolling, is probably ethical

The New York Times is trolling back, and the White House fell for it, and the Press Secretary released the article below as talking points:

NYT - We Ran Out of Words to Describe How Good the Jobs Numbers Are

(Bingo prizes for references other than the obvious Dr. Harold Bornstein takedown )

Cyp
Look in the mirror.

And all will be revealed.

GDPR

cyp is not a loon. He is asking very serious questions about one of the biggest issues of our time: information terrorism.

You just havent caught up with his thinking.

fifilawe

Sure.

If you say so.
if you say so.Just look at where s/he gets the materials that commences a new thread.This individual must be paid to start threads for the sake of starting a thread.The material is pure copy and paste job with a rhetorical 1-2 lines submitted at the end of the paste job.A zombie could do that even without a living brain.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
It is amusing to see trolls freely troll this thread

The OP defines them ...and like a siren call, they come to it and further expose themselves

The complete lack of ability to offer a detailed response to the OP shows that p.ie doesn't seem to have high quality trolls

Cyp

fifilawe

cyp is not a loon. He is asking very serious questions about one of the biggest issues of our time: information terrorism.

You just havent caught up with his thinking.
go on , pull the other leg while you're at it, or are you being ironic with very serious questions

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies