Is UK close to another General Election?

automaticforthepeople

Shortly after England triumphed in 1966, Harold Wilson seized on the feel good factor to stamp his authority on parliament by going early to the country. Now as England are down to the last 4 in the World Cup could Theresa May be on the verge of another run through the corn fields to the country, should Gareth Southgate's men triump next week?
A soft Brexit deal white paper might be enough to wall paper over the cracks in her party if she thought she could gain enough seats to park the DUP in the political waiting room until they may be needed again? It may well be the best opportunity she will ever get to thread water and pass on leadership of the bunch of Victor Meldrews that normal people call the Tory Party to exciting idealists or failing that; Johnson or Gove?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-election-theresa-may-conservatives-party-leader-brexit-rebels-prime-minister-poll-a8435461.html

devoutcapitalist

After last years debacle May won't be calling another election, the Tories would end up losing as the public are sick of Referendums or elections.

stopdoingstuff

Most experts seem to agree that the UK gets closer to the next general election on a daily basis.

former wesleyan

No.

Catalpast

Shortly after England triumphed in 1966, Harold Wilson seized on the feel good factor to stamp his authority on parliament by going early to the country. Now as England are down to the last 4 in the World Cup could Theresa May be on the verge of another run through the corn fields to the country, should Gareth Southgate's men triump next week?
A soft Brexit deal white paper might be enough to wall paper over the cracks in her party if she thought she could gain enough seats to park the DUP in the political waiting room until they may be needed again? It may well be the best opportunity she will ever get to thread water and pass on leadership of the bunch of Victor Meldrews that normal people call the Tory Party to exciting idealists or failing that; Johnson or Gove?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-election-theresa-may-conservatives-party-leader-brexit-rebels-prime-minister-poll-a8435461.html
Cant see it unless she is forced into 1

- once bitten/twice shy an all that....

She would be better off waiting until they have reached agreement with the EU over Brexit and then going to the Country IMO

londonpride

Yes, A general election that Labour has no show of winning

Britain is being held to ransom by a bunch of Jesus freaks from Northern Ireland.
Time to be rid of these Jesus freaks and let the republic deal with them.

Dame_Enda

Under the FTP act she needs two thirds in the Commons to trigger one.

Bleu Poppy

The 66 election happened in March the world cup win was in July!
Rarely have I seen an OP shot down in flames so fast.

Well done.

Truth, a.k.a. facts, trumps fake news every time.

Except, of course, in Trump's Redneck Belt.

runwiththewind

May has banned the royals and everyone else from going to Russia. Will she do a U-turn?

She seems to be permanently stuck in some corner or other.

blinding

She is right on that . Even the people who brought in the abortion system in England never thought there would be as much abortion as their is . Some of them at least regretted bringing in such a liberal / open / easy system .

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
'Bunch of Victor Meldrews' is a very good description of your average tory voter I think... they are a curious crew I have always thought.

When you think of the political party lineage in the UK of Whigs, Tories, Liberals and Radicals it makes me wonder whether the current Tories would have sat more comfortably in the Radicals at times.

In our world of today the word 'Liberal' is used as an epithet by a nasty subsection of the American rightwing, which is much further to the right than even the UK tories.

Many old school Tories of bygone era could have been described as Liberals in the way that their disdain of regulation over people's lives would have matched the live and let live view of the more liberal of today's voters.

It is curious how the needle moves along the dial and sometimes even the dial itself over time can be found to have shifted.

There is still I think a softer Tory constituency that is less noisy than the tub-thumpers and those who advocated a shift to the right to grab the ground that UKIP were standing on and I doubt that those tories would in any way be fond of an alliance with the DUP.

At some point the Tories are going to have to throw away the DUP crutch or contrive at some circumstance where they can go it alone.

I think they are too afraid to do so at the moment given that Corbyn is definitely a threat in terms of the youth vote so the tories could end up trying to patch together a ruling coalition with the dinosaurs once again.

I suspect this means that the Tories will hang on as long as they can trying to manage the DUP as long as they can as a tory majority in another election seems a bit of a vague hope.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies