Is Ulster Scots a form of text messages or a langugage ?

Cai

“An the laird said te Adam & Eve,,,, an I danae mean Adam & Steve by the way hi” :shock:
I guess that it would be difficult to find someone proficient in Greek, Hebrew & Ulster Scots to do the translating.

AhNowStop

Any chance of government support for the Ulster-Scots Athletic Association for promoting Ulster-Scots football? You know, that ancient game originating in Cullybacky that's just like soccer but they raise a fleg on the flegpole before every game.
Ha, funny you mention that but I’ve oft slagged the odd crackpot on here that they missed a trick in 1998 when they were making up the whole Ulster Scots thingy ...... surely that was their chance not only to have a foil for Irish but for the GAA .. :?

But maybe they could make one up yet ....... Land Rover water cannon diving looks fun :shock:

View attachment 553

Lúidín

Compliment slips from Waterways Ireland have three languages:
With compliments
Le dea mhéin
Wi aa guid wushes

AhNowStop

Compliment slips from Waterways Ireland have three languages:
With compliments
Le dea mhéin
Wi aa guid wushes

Lethal :lol: .. lmfao

redneck

well it is looney a versus looney b.

what is the irish for Tricuspid Valve bypass ? Would you be happy for a team of 20 healthcare professionals to do 'open heart surgery' as Gaeilge ?

teanga marbh. dead language.
what is the Punjabi ,What is the Croat for Tricuspid Valve bypass for example. English is a lingua franca- This poster thinks that just because he cannot speak Irish it is dead. Well Irish will be around long after your are dead. Teanga marbh my arse!

Barroso

well it is looney a versus looney b.

what is the irish for Tricuspid Valve bypass ? Would you be happy for a team of 20 healthcare professionals to do 'open heart surgery' as Gaeilge ?

teanga marbh. dead language.
It's pretty obvious that you are no linguist.
Let's look at "valve" first:
valve (n.)
late 14c., "one of the halves of a folding door," from Latin valva (plural valvae) "section of a folding or revolving door," literally "that which turns," related to volvere "to roll," from PIE root *wel- (3) "to turn, revolve." Sense extended 1610s to "membranous fold regulating flow of bodily fluids;" 1650s to "mechanical device that works like an anatomical valve;" and 1660s in zoology to "halves of a hinged shell." Related: Valved.
So it's from Latin.
I don't think that even you imagine that "tricuspid" is based on English roots?
Well just in case:
tricuspid (n.)
1660s, from Latin tricuspidem (nominative tricuspis) "three-pointed," from tri- (see tri-) + cuspis "point" (see cusp).
Now, you asked what the Irish is?
Simples:
seach-chonair an chomhla thríchuspaigh
Any more questions?

Karloff

Ha, funny you mention that but I’ve oft slagged the odd crackpot on here that they missed a trick in 1998 when they were making up the whole Ulster Scots thingy ...... surely that was their chance not only to have a foil for Irish but for the GAA .. :?

But maybe they could make one up yet ....... Land Rover water cannon diving looks fun :shock:

View attachment 553
Poor oul Rory, did he get lost on his way to the NI Open? ........... JK

Mickeymac

Poor oul Rory, did he get lost on his way to the NI Open? ........... JK

Indeed sir, he is such a little AH, millions of Americans would exchange their pearly whites to have Irish blood in their DNA.

AhNowStop

GDPR

Ironically, so-called "Ulster Scots" is primarily English, with a mixture of low land Scots dialect words and anglicised Irish Gaelic ones.

It would be more accurate to call it "Caledonian-English".

Talk Back

The BBC took 'A Kist o Wurds' off the air when they realised the "Wurds" were all English.

Hahahahaha.

No doubt about it but locationally challenged Unionists trapped in Ireland are great for an aul laugh.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom