Is Ulster Scots a form of text messages or a langugage ?

S

SeamusNapoleon

If the EU make Ulster-Scots a recognised language, I'm going to start a campaign for 'sham', the language of the dwellers of Lom na nEacha (Limerick).

'Daaycent hash, bud, wherejewgettha then?'

DerryBee

According to the Ulster-Scots Society:

Ulster-Scots is a sister language to Scots, which itself was brought into what we now call Scotland by settlers from Continental Europe in about the 6th century A.D. It reached the island of Ireland when large numbers of Scots began to come to the northern half of the Ards Peninsula from 1606, to settle on lands granted to Montgomery and Hamilton, two Ayrshire men. From there, the settlers spread out in that horseshoe pattern that was centuries later identified by Professor Robert Gregg in his early pioneering studies of Ulster-Scots.

We find the first instance of the term ‘Ulster Scots’ (used to define the people) in a source dated 8 October 1640 (‘The Life and Original Correspondence of Sir George Radcliffe, Knt.’, cited in James Seaton Reid’s History of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland).

There was much more traffic between Ulster and Scotland during the 17th century and after than we realise. However, the language developed in contact with what we now call Northern Hiberno-English (originating with the English settlers) and with the Irish of the indigenous population for the next three hundred years. It was the tongue of the pioneers who founded America, and it is ‘their ain mither tongue’ for thousands of Ulster folk.

In the twentieth century and even today, Ulster-Scots is a heavily stigmatised language. The rich vocabulary of earlier days has been eroded under the influence of BBC English. Often it is thought of as a dialect of English, a view Professor Gregg described as ‘ridiculous’, or even as a kind of debased English, another misinformed opinion. However, people are slowly learning to be proud of their linguistic heritage. In March 2001, the United Kingdom Government ratified the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages – in the case of Ulster-Scots, giving it Stage 2 status. The Society is throwing its weight behind moves to achieve Stage 3 status for the language, which, importantly, gives it a place in the education system.

Mickeymac

"Does anyone speak Ulster-Scots here on this board? Do many people speak Ulster-Scots? I know that there is an Ulster-Scots centre of learning at the University of Ulster in Derry but I would interested in knowing the percentage of people who speak Ulster-Scots"

Doire, you are one hellofa funny guy sir lol.

DerryBee

"Does anyone speak Ulster-Scots here on this board? Do many people speak Ulster-Scots? I know that there is an Ulster-Scots centre of learning at the University of Ulster in Derry but I would interested in knowing the percentage of people who speak Ulster-Scots"

Doire, you are one hellofa funny guy sir lol.
Thanks for the compliment...:D
Perhaps you could explain the source of my comic genius? :roll:

Mickeymac

"Thanks for the compliment...
Perhaps you could explain the source of my comic genius? "

You are taking the piss out of those poor folk who think ulser scoots is a language lol

Kitty O'Shea

It's a Protestant language.

Secret so it is. So taigs can't understand us.
Its not the language existed first. Catholicism was outlawed following the Scottish Reformation in 1560. Catholic Emancipation in 1793 helped Roman Catholicism regain civil rights. In 1878, the hierarchy was formally restored.Through this turmoil, several pockets in Scotland retained a significant pre-Reformation Catholic population, such as parts of Banffshire, the Hebrides, and more northern parts of the Scottish Highlands.
source wikipedia

Aristodemus

Is it true that retarded people are called "wee dafties"?

SevenStars

I was on an Ulster Scots language website and amazingly I didn't know but I could actually understand another language :eek:

Hello! - Ulster Scots " Hi ye daen! "

Are you well - " Ir ye weel "

Where do you live - " Whur dae ye leeve "

But to me this 'language' looks like a sort of text message. What do you think ?
Actually Slab this is bordering on sectarianism.

It is an actual language....And anything that seperates Ulster from England has to be good for the cause.

I dont understand why some Republicans are so against Ulster Scots.

Northern Voice

To be fair this is yet another topic with no purpose other than belittling anything attached to unionism and portraying it as small minded and pathetic. Needs to be less of these petty threads and more proper discussion.

SevenStars

To be fair this is yet another topic with no purpose other than belittling anything attached to unionism and portraying it as small minded and pathetic. Needs to be less of these petty threads and more proper discussion.
How is Ulster Scots essentially attached to Unionism?

Didnt the Presbyterian radicials of the 18 th and early 19 th century speak it?

:rolleyes:

More of the old Onionist victim mentality...

Kitty O'Shea

I also thought that everyone would know this too!! Ulster Scots are Unionists from Scotland. Unionists don't have much of a vote in Scotland for years and they moved to NI. 10 yrs ago I was visiting a pal in Ayrshire & I was asked if I (catholic ROI) was in the IRA by a territorial soldier on leave
Anyway I found out later that the west coast of Scotland were getting a lot of troublemakers from Ireland moving over and it wasn't going down well with the locals.
People from Ireland have moved to Scotland for hundreds of years, indeed in the 18th & 19th centuries Irish moved to Scotland to get away from life here and ended up in the slums of Glasgow. As far as I can remember they were not welcomed by the natives (who were moved of their lands) and also in the same slums. And for the last time Ulster Scots is Scots which is a language!!!!
I would suggest reading up on Scots history guys.
ps a lot of us in ROI would have Scottish ancestry too.

Mickeymac

"Anyway I found out later that the west coast of Scotland were getting a lot of troublemakers from Ireland moving over and it wasn't going down well with the locals"

Kitty, were they wearing BA uniforms and gunning the people of Western Scotland down, (in cold blood) in their own streets?

Boiled Oysters Malloy

It's a scam that came about when Lord Laird realized there was grant money to be gotten in 1994 when the first ceasefires were called.

It's no more of a language than scouse or geordie dialects.

Boiled Oysters Malloy

THE SECOND HAN COMPUTER

The weans sez, get a computer Da,
So we can gw' on the net,
Sez I ye'll hae tae wait a wee,
They micht get chaper yet,

Well oor boys sa this quore yin,
An sez, da she'll dae the trick,
But I hannae got the cash for hir,
An they wunnae gee me tick.

Sure they turn't mae heed wae roms an rams,
An' modems bytes an scanners,