Is Ulster Scots a form of text messages or a langugage ?

Spirit Of Newgrange

Much of the peace process involved swallowing hard and counting to ten to find inner peace. Parity of esteem is one thing, but this attempt at language equivalency is elevating Draughts to the level of Chess.
Parity of esteem is not available in the South. We all still get Gaeilge rammed down our throat, like it or not.

Gin Soaked

The accent. They are in awe of a clipped English accent, RP.
RP is just "speaking neutrally". It has softened a lot in recent years, and having a "regional" tone is ok. Note that the real UK "toffs" did not speak RP and were often hard to understand.

There is no problem with having an accent and good diction. But being too lazy to pronounce simple, common words properly is just grating....

GDPR

RP is just "speaking neutrally". It has softened a lot in recent years, and having a "regional" tone is ok. Note that the real UK "toffs" did not speak RP and were often hard to understand.

There is no problem with having an accent and good diction. But being too lazy to pronounce simple, common words properly is just grating....
Not really my point.

I have posted on here frequently about a memory from my childhood, when some Loyalists had set up a totally illegal road check at the Ballymena Bypass. The RUC did nothing, and finally a BA patrol rolled through and simply knocked the barrier down.

The Loyalists screeched "F*uck off you British bastards". :)

They hate the English and they hate English accents. Do not kid yourself. It makes them feel like Paddies.

AhNowStop

Much of the peace process involved swallowing hard and counting to ten to find inner peace. Parity of esteem is one thing, but this attempt at language equivalency is elevating Draughts to the level of Chess.
Snakes & ladders to the world cup would be closer :shock: ....

but its what the crackpots do .. attempted equivocation at each & every opportunity !

AhNowStop

Not really my point.

I have posted on here frequently about a memory from my childhood, when some Loyalists had set up a totally illegal road check at the Ballymena Bypass. The RUC did nothing, and finally a BA patrol rolled through and simply knocked the barrier down.

The Loyalists screeched "F*uck off you British bastards". :)

They hate the English and they hate English accents. Do not kid yourself. It makes them feel like Paddies.
:unsure:

GDPR

Well stop and think. Many people on here are playing the Loyalist game when they rant from their Southern barstools that Ulster Unionists are "squatters", "Planters" or "Brits".

They are Irish as you and me. However they had a real number done on their poor little heads. I grew up in the North, I grew up in the most Unionist county of all.

I understand this very well.

AhNowStop

Well stop and think. Many people on here are playing the Loyalist game when they rant from their Southern barstools that Ulster Unionists are "squatters", "Planters" or "Brits".

They are Irish as you and me. However they had a real number done on their poor little heads. I grew up in the North, I grew up in the most Unionist county of all.

The vast majority would beg to differ though .. it matters not what "we" think/know they are !

Mickeymac

Indeed Lady, the Jim Jones debacle springs to mind.

GDPR

The vast majority would beg to differ though .. it matters not what "we" think/know they are !
What do you know about what the vast majority of Ulster Unionists actually think?

Nothing.

They are an isolated group of people. They are afraid of making any move forward.

Your "Paddy Victorious Nationalist" line is totally counter-productive. You reinforce their terrors.

Spirit Of Newgrange

Ulster Scots is about as much a language as Kerryman-speak, knacker northsider, or traveller-language. And the prods up north have a 'sense of entitlement and a compensations culture' to match any of the above.

Talk Back

They are not Irish if they do not have Irish Citizenship, or obey the democratic will of the people of Ireland.

Until that happens, Unionists are still foreigners here who have never assimilated into Irish society - squatters on Irish land that they stole when they were first planted here, and still holding Ireland back to this day.

Unionists and their artificial veto on democracy in Ireland are the cause of all the trouble here. Ireland would be at one and at peace but for Unionists.

GDPR

They are not Irish if they do not have Irish Citizenship, or obey the democratic will of the people of Ireland.

Until that happens, Unionists are foreigners who have never assimilated into Irish society - squatters on Irish land that they stole when they were first planted here, and still holding Ireland back to this day.

Unionists and their artificial veto on democracy in Ireland are the cause of all the trouble here. Ireland would be at one and at peace but for Unionists.
Oh don't be ridiculous. What do you want to tell them? If there is a Border Poll in favour of a UI, we will kick you all out?

Does that make your dick rise?

Talk Back

Oh don't be ridiculous. What do you want to tell them? If there is a Border Poll in favour of a UI, we will kick you all out?

Does that make your dick rise?
Control yourself.

The fact remains - they are not Irish if they do not have Irish Citizenship, or obey the democratic will of the people of Ireland.

Until that happens, Unionists are still foreigners here who have never assimilated into Irish society - squatters on Irish land that they stole when they were first planted here, and still holding Ireland back to this day.

GDPR

Control yourself.

The fact remains - they are not Irish if they do not have Irish Citizenship, or obey the democratic will of the people of Ireland.

Oh give over. Everyone in the North is entitled to both citizenships and believe me, anyone who travels juggles both passports.

You are just a loon who fantasises about the Valley of Knocknamure.

Spirit Of Newgrange

the irish were kicking the bejaysus out of each other long before the drum banging tidy-towns champions arrived to rob the land.

Spirit Of Newgrange

Oh give over. Everyone in the North is entitled to both citizenships and believe me, anyone who travels juggles both passports.

i think every southerner should be entitled to live in Ulster and call themselves British. Just to annoy the FG/FF/Lab/SF closed-shop. Cheaper car tax and insurance. Better health care, schooling, housing costs.

if southerners can work in Manchester , we can surely work in Derry ?

Talk Back

I didn't take you as such an idiot.

There is a difference between being "entitled" to, and being.

Keep digging.

GDPR

i think every southerner should be entitled to live in Ulster and call themselves British. Just to annoy the FG/FF/Lab/SF closed-shop. Cheaper car tax and insurance. Better health care, schooling, housing costs.

if southerners can work in Manchester , we can surely work in Derry ?
Of course you can work in Derry, within the EU, no problem, let is see what happens afterwards.

Now as regards British/Irish citizenship, you could have both if one of your parents held that nationality. Irrespective.

Long before the GFA, dear boy, long, long before, I took out an Irish passport based on a grandparent's nationality.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies