Is Ulster Scots a form of text messages or a langugage ?

Talk Back

the irish were kicking the bejaysus out of each other long before the drum banging tidy-towns champions arrived to rob the land.
Bullsh1t - Ireland as a Nation and Kingdom (Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair was the High King of Ireland when England invaded) was recognised as a Country with its own Laws (the very essence of a unitary Country), Gaelic culture, language, alphabet, etc. throughout the world, long before the 10th century upstart England even existed.

Who do you think the king of England, Henry II signed the treaty of Windsor with other than the High King of Ireland, Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair... Fr Murphy???

A treaty that England broke - per usual.

GDPR

Bullsh1t - Ireland as a Nation and Kingdom (Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair was the High King of Ireland when England invaded) was recognised as a Country with its own Laws (the very essence of a unitary Country), Gaelic culture, language, alphabet, etc. throughout the world, long before the 10th century upstart England even existed.

Who do you think the king of England, Henry II signed the treaty of Windsor with other than the High King of Ireland, Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair... Fr Murphy???

How is Boston at this time of year?

Cai

North & South Welsh are more different to each other than Ulster Scots & English as spoken in Northern Ireland.

But it wouldn’t occur to anyone to call them different languages - & that’s because there is no political imperative to do so.

Whether two language systems are different dialects or languages is often a matter of politics, not linguistics.

Barroso

its hilarious watching some of these "proponents" pretending it is a language ... As im sure you have, ive seen umpteen examples of eejits like Nelson (dinosaur fossils are a test of faith :roll:) McCausland's face going even redder than usual when asked to repeat ulster scots words or sentences .... its incredibly cringe worthy and hilarious but it shows how deceitful these loons are ... its actually a fookin disgrace !

edit - btw, had they been serious about ulster scots why the feck didnt they do something about it when they ran the place (into the ground) and could do exactly as they pleased in the old stormont ?

why the sudden interest .. but we all know why dont we :roll:
Have you ever had a look at the website of the body that is meant to promote Ulster Scots?
It's all in English, bar a few bits here and there.
If there are so many speakers in N. Antrim, surely they could find one or two to write up the pages in their own "language".

Talk Back

How is Boston at this time of year?
Maybe if I was in Boston or American, I might know.

Keep digging fool.

The fact remains - Ireland as a Nation and Kingdom (Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair was the High King of Ireland when England invaded) was recognised as a Country with its own Laws (the very essence of a unitary Country), Gaelic culture, language, alphabet, etc. throughout the world, long before the 10th century upstart England even existed.

Talk Back

Unionists are great for an aul laugh though - I'm looking forward to reading their ancient corpus of Ulster Scots literature.

Hahahaha

Cai

Unionists are great for an aul laugh though - I'm looking forward to reading their ancient corpus of Ulster Scots literature.

Hahahaha
Perhaps they could take some advantage of some grant or other to have the Bible translated to Ulster Scots.

Prof Honeydew

The old Gaelic word for Protestant in Ulster Gaelic is "Albannaigh" or "Scotsman"
The old Gaelic word for Protestant in Munster Irish is "Sassanach" or "Englishman"
Bíonn an ainm teanga Gaeilge anseo - Protusunach.
I don't want to belittle your attempt at Irish. At least you've made an effort. But if you're pulling others up on their use of the language, WTF does that last sentence mean? It looks like something from a primitive prototype of Google Translate.

If you mean "The word (used) in Irish here is Protestant", that would be "'Sé an focal Gaeilge (a úáidtear) anseo ná Protastúnach" - well, in Munster Irish anyway.

Barroso

Well there you go again. "Albanach" not "Albannaigh" is the Irish word in all variants of Irish Gaelic for Scotsman.
Obviously Albanach and Sasanach mean Scottish and English.
However, Albanach is traditionally the word used in Donegal for a protestant, and as Red said, in parts of Munster, they used the word Sasanach with the same meaning. For logical reasons.
If you doubt this, just consult Heinrich Wagner's Linguistic Atlas and Survey of Irish Dialects.

GDPR

Obviously Albanach and Sasanach mean Scottish and English.
However, Albanach is traditionally the word used in Donegal for a protestant, and as Red said, in parts of Munster, they used the word Sasanach with the same meaning. For logical reasons.
If you doubt this, just consult Heinrich Wagner's Linguistic Atlas and Survey of Irish Dialects.
What i do doubt is that "Albannaigh" is or ever was Ulster Irish.

I can spot a googler a mile off.

GDPR

Jeee, Brexit might cause Ulster Scots to become extinct? Say it ain't so, Eags.
Education would have got rid of that old rigmarole long ago, but when you work up the tyre factory, why bother?

Except there are no tyre factories now.

Talk Back

Perhaps they could take some advantage of some grant or other to have the Bible translated to Ulster Scots.
Don't encourage the Unionists - the squatters will want "Ulster Scots" as an A-Level subject in schools next.

Hahahaha

AhNowStop

What do you know about what the vast majority of Ulster Unionists actually think?

Nothing.

They are an isolated group of people. They are afraid of making any move forward.

Your "Paddy Victorious Nationalist" line is totally counter-productive. You reinforce their terrors.
Nonsense .... you assume too much but know very little about what I know and what I think !

1/ I want “equality” ,,, not supremacy & not to be victorious... “equality” ... and if that’s continuously blocked, as it is, then I want the end of NI via a “democratic” border poll ..

2/ I know only too well what crackpot unionism want ... domination, supremacy and the continuation of the status quo

3/ What you or I say in jest or in earnest on an anonymous website is of little consequence re unionist fears and/or possible acceptance of a potential shared future for NI .... if you think anything else you are seriously deluded ... as you also are if you think the majority of unionists consider themselves “Paddies”

Prof Honeydew

Snakes & ladders to the world cup would be closer :shock: ....

but its what the crackpots do .. attempted equivocation at each & every opportunity !
Any chance of government support for the Ulster-Scots Athletic Association for promoting Ulster-Scots football? You know, that ancient game originating in Cullybacky that's just like soccer but they raise a fleg on the flegpole before every game.

AhNowStop

Have you ever had a look at the website of the body that is meant to promote Ulster Scots?
It's all in English, bar a few bits here and there.
If there are so many speakers in N. Antrim, surely they could find one or two to write up the pages in their own "language".
I’ll have a looksee... after all, it’s good to laugh :) lol

AhNowStop

“An the laird said te Adam & Eve,,,, an I danae mean Adam & Steve by the way hi” :shock:

Mickeymac

I’ll have a looksee... after all, it’s good to laugh :) lol

Dumb and Dumber who pester Nolan on his phone in show blame SF/IRA for all this ulscer scoots crap......I sh1t you not sir.:laugh::roflmao::laugh:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies