• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Is Unionism a Culture of Fear?

Mickeymac

Almost 20 years since the signing of the GFA people today are asking all sorts of questions mainly addressed to political parties and organisations within NI, my question is what is the problem, exactly the same question as asked by the author of the link provided.

‘Unionism a Culture of Fear’ by Jessica McGrann

Building on peace and a shared future together through reconciliation requires mutual respect, for without it how can there be compromise, an essential ingredient in any recipe for prosperity where there is religious, cultural or social diversity let alone a community that has been polarised through a prolonged period of conflict following decades of discrimination.

So why is this seemingly so impossibly difficult?

Throughout the year, we work together, live together and share the place without any issues, in general we all get along regardless of religion or identity. I assume we all want what is best for us economically, better standards of living, better health care, better public services, better prospects for our children. When we travel, people from all over Ireland often unite over our common roots, all being Irish abroad in a foreign land.

A single economy on one small island makes total sense.

So how come every year when summer approaches and the marching season begins, the 12th of July once again focusses our attention on what divides us, both traditionally, culturally and religiously. Yet even with more orange marches today than ever before, only a small number cause any offence, and this is where the orange order shows its true colours. How hard would it be you would think it sit down face to face and show common courtesy and respect to the people in those communities where you wished to march with orange regalia to show no disrespect or desire to cause offence is intended?

So what is the problem......................read on..'Unionism a Culture of Fear' by Jessica McGrann - Jude Collins

Levellers

Unionism is a valid political position to hold and is not without some merit.

Unfortunately for some inexplicable reason it has injected sectarianism into its body politic and firmly rejects any call for its removal. It has no need for this sectarianism but clings to it like a limpet.

And it present in every strand of unionism from ignorant gougers like BtB to more sophisticated unionists like Castleray. They won't criticise the OO or the NAMA corruption or sectarian murder - anything that has dragged unionism into the gutter they will all defend or at best keep silent.

between the bridges

hollandia

Parts of Unionism are founded on fear, but that is largely a minority view within Unionism, and growing smaller as the years advance. No, it's more a cultural, national and/or economic attachment to the UK, these days. The north is largely secular, so the "Home Rule is Rome Rule" nonsense has been confined to the past (largely.

Levellers

Only a fool would repeatedly use a photoshopped picture to attempt to prove his point.

between the bridges

Roll up Roll up, ladies and ladies for your purveyance p.ie presents it's latest performance of ''whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa themuns whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa''...

A Voice

I'd say they're fearing the butt raping they're going to get in Parkhead on September 10th.

There'll be a brief romance with Linfield before that, while Warburton tries to find "his best team".

Har har har! :lol:

between the bridges

Only a fool would repeatedly use a photoshopped picture to attempt to prove his point.

The fact that yer so thick ye bite every-time and make a complete tit of yerself, is divine...

Levellers

The fact that yer so thick ye bite every-time and make a complete tit of yerself, is divine...
I'm not posting that picture for your benefit you cretin. I'm posting it so other posters can see that your whole outlook is built on lies and self delusion and you haven't posted one original thought or view on this site despite having 30,000 posts.

former wesleyan

Yet even with more orange marches today than ever before, only a small number cause any offence, and this is where the orange order shows its true colours.
Strange that the minority of events demonstrates " true colours " while the admitted majority of marches don't. Anywhere else ……...

between the bridges

I'm not posting that picture for your benefit you cretin. I'm posting it so other posters can see that your whole outlook is built on lies and self delusion and you haven't posted one original thought or view on this site despite having 30,000 posts.
Mate please keep posting it and claiming its Photoshopped, it's sooo much fun, but if ye can find an adult get them to explain the blatantly obvious reasons why it's not...

GDPR

Lets face the facts Political Unionism hasnt exactly been in the business of making friends and influencing people now has it? A proportion of "Nationalist Ireland" of course want revenge, that is fallen human nature, so yes there is an element of rational fear in the psyche of the PUL community. This is why for the good of all Northern Irish people but in particular the PUL community the Orange Order needs to be annihalated.

Novos

Almost 20 years since the signing of the GFA people today are asking all sorts of questions mainly addressed to political parties and organisations within NI, my question is what is the problem, exactly the same question as asked by the author of the link provided.

‘Unionism a Culture of Fear’ by Jessica McGrann

Building on peace and a shared future together through reconciliation requires mutual respect, for without it how can there be compromise, an essential ingredient in any recipe for prosperity where there is religious, cultural or social diversity let alone a community that has been polarised through a prolonged period of conflict following decades of discrimination.

So why is this seemingly so impossibly difficult?

Throughout the year, we work together, live together and share the place without any issues, in general we all get along regardless of religion or identity. I assume we all want what is best for us economically, better standards of living, better health care, better public services, better prospects for our children. When we travel, people from all over Ireland often unite over our common roots, all being Irish abroad in a foreign land.

A single economy on one small island makes total sense.

So how come every year when summer approaches and the marching season begins, the 12th of July once again focusses our attention on what divides us, both traditionally, culturally and religiously. Yet even with more orange marches today than ever before, only a small number cause any offence, and this is where the orange order shows its true colours. How hard would it be you would think it sit down face to face and show common courtesy and respect to the people in those communities where you wished to march with orange regalia to show no disrespect or desire to cause offence is intended?

So what is the problem......................read on..'Unionism a Culture of Fear' by Jessica McGrann - Jude Collins
Oh dear Jessica has relapsed. Just when it looked like she had figured out that unionists don't want a United Ireland. Poor Jess.

between the bridges

Aye, Unionism is so bad every CNR wants a UI, oh wait...

between the bridges

Lets face the facts Political Unionism hasnt exactly been in the business of making friends and influencing people now has it? A proportion of "Nationalist Ireland" of course want revenge, that is fallen human nature, so yes there is an element of rational fear in the psyche of the PUL community. This is why for the good of all Northern Irish people but in particular the PUL community the Orange Order needs to be annihalated.
Ye'll be please to know numbers are up again this year...

CastleRay

Unionism is a valid political position to hold and is not without some merit.

Unfortunately for some inexplicable reason it has injected sectarianism into its body politic and firmly rejects any call for its removal. It has no need for this sectarianism but clings to it like a limpet.

And it present in every strand of unionism from ignorant gougers like BtB to more sophisticated unionists like Castleray. They won't criticise the OO or the NAMA corruption or sectarian murder - anything that has dragged unionism into the gutter they will all defend or at best keep silent.
Hang on a wee minute there. I'll criticise the OO if it's warranted and dispute the lies about them too. I certainly don't support the vilification and dehumanizing of them as seen on here. As for NAMA, it's not something I'm aux fait with but if there's wrongdoing involved then whoever was involved should be prosecuted accordingly. It would not bother me if the DUP were implicated and members were convicted for wrong doing at all; quite the opposite in fact. I don't even vote for so-called Unionist parties. How is there sectarianism in my position? I've never been a member of any religious organisation and I don't care what any other person's religion is. I might ask someone about their faith and beliefs but I'd never criticise them for it and believe that all should be treated equally whether someone has a faith or none.

Irish-Rationalist

Hang on a wee minute there. I'll criticise the OO if it's warranted and dispute the lies about them too. I certainly don't support the vilification and dehumanizing of them as seen on here. As for NAMA, it's not something I'm aux fait with but if there's wrongdoing involved then whoever was involved should be prosecuted accordingly. It would not bother me if the DUP were implicated and members were convicted for wrong doing at all; quite the opposite in fact. I don't even vote for so-called Unionist parties. How is there sectarianism in my position? I've never been a member of any religious organisation and I don't care what any other person's religion is. I might ask someone about their faith and beliefs but I'd never criticise them for it and believe that all should be treated equally whether someone has a faith or none.
Far-right-wing Unionist in risible denial mode.

Mickeymac

Strange that the minority of events demonstrates " true colours " while the admitted majority of marches don't. Anywhere else ……...

Not 'strange' at all pal but entirely factual, what is strange however is why it is taking unionism so long to adapt to the peace accord that was signed almost 20 years ago and their satellite organisations like the OO really need to wise up, March where they are most welcome and let the rest of the people move on to a better future for all.

GDPR

I have seen you be extremely blinkered but I have never seen you be tribalist or sectarian at all.

Mickeymac

Oh dear Jessica has relapsed. Just when it looked like she had figured out that unionists don't want a United Ireland. Poor Jess.

How very positive of you to copy the OP...........yet conveniently left out your thoughts for fear of sense and sensibility upsetting that wee small world you live in.......sad really.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies