Is your Driving Licence an Identity Card?

clearmurk

I'm getting fed-up with being required to give my name and address at Garda traffic check-points. This seems to be nothing other than profiling.

Would the Gardai be permitted to set up a barricade in the middle of Grafton Street, and require everyone passing to provide their name and address? I don't think so.

Would someone be able to provide the ins and outs of the legalities around refusing to provide your name and address at a traffic checkpoint, where there is no traffic offence?

cunnyfunt

I'm getting fed-up with being required to give my name and address at Garda traffic check-points. This seems to be nothing other than profiling.

Would the Gardai be permitted to set up a barricade in the middle of Grafton Street, and require everyone passing to provide their name and address? I don't think so.

Would someone be able to provide the ins and outs of the legalities around refusing to provide your name and address at a traffic checkpoint, where there is no traffic offence?
There are NO legalities in place when you want to challenge a member of an gorda shia conna...

Prepare to be abused.

gleeful

Yes - they would be legally permitted to do this. Gardai have full powers to request you to tell them your address. They can ask.

statsman

Yes, of course they can.

sic transit

What exactly are you doing at these checkpoints and why are you seeing so many of them? Have never been asked any of this. Must be because it's on my licence, which IIRC you are supposed to have with you.

Bill

what garda check points?

Spanner Island

I rarely encounter any Garda check points... and have only ever been asked to produce id once... a long time ago when I was stopped for speeding...

Other than that just one breathalyser and that's been it... in over 20 years driving... and I don't even think I was asked for id on that occasion...

Any other check points have been the usual tax and insurance checks... which have always involved a wave through...

gleeful

What exactly are you doing at these checkpoints and why are you seeing so many of them? Have never been asked any of this. Must be because it's on my licence, which IIRC you are supposed to have with you.
Most likely they are looking for someone in particular.

Orbit v2

Yes - they would be legally permitted to do this. Gardai have full powers to request you to tell them your address. They can ask.
They don't have a general right to demand it though. Gardai must have a reasonable suspicion that you committed a crime, and stopping people randomly on Grafton Street wouldn't meet that requirement. When driving it's different as they have greater powers then and are entitled to ask to see your license, and if you don't have it, they are then entitled to demand your name and address.

silverharp

you don't need permission to walk on Grafton Street, you do need permission to drive on a road, not seeing the connection, you must look kind of dodgy :D

cunnyfunt

I rarely encounter any Garda check points... and have only ever been asked to produce id once... a long time ago when I was stopped for speeding...

Other than that just one breathalyser and that's been it... in over 20 years driving... and I don't even think I was asked for id on that occasion...

Any other check points have been the usual tax and insurance checks... which have always involved a wave through...
Many younger drivers are regularly stopped...I.D'd...searched...abused... often just as a means of bullying.
Yes.... if you're a little older... it is unusual to be asked for I.D.

clearmurk

And what if you have moved house, but the address on your licence is the one at the time of licence issue?

Man or Mouse

I had great difficulty in dealing with this whole thing after living for a good few years in a jurisdiction where there had to be probable cause for a cop to stop you. It was somewhat of a culture shock to be honest. I was stopped one day and this dude with the cop wants to "dip my tank"!!!. WTF I asked. Oh we're entitled to do this, to check if you are using marked diesel.

I asked the logical question.
Have you reason to suspect I am using marked diesel?
No, came the answer, but we are entitled by law to check anyone's tank.
I replied.
This has to be unconstitutional. My civil rights are being impinged.

At which point, up stepped a large Garda with,

Listen here now, these people are just doing their job according to the law. If you want to make trouble you can, but it will be more hassle than its worth to you.

Seeing the liklihood of the truth in that statement, I acquiesced.

When I got used to the racket I learned to out psyche them. Like one day on the old N7 I was pulled in for the same reason, right behind another SUV.
I said to the customs lad,
Any chance you could check mine before yer man? I'm on my way to the airport to catch a flight.

Yerra, no problem, says the customs lad, off with you this time. :D

Only in Ireland.

PBP voter

When Islam extremists strike in Ireland I bet the OP will be the first ************************ to blame the Gardai.

sic transit

And what if you have moved house, but the address on your licence is the one at the time of licence issue?
Not sure what your beef is. I've rarely been asked for my licence. It is accepted as a form of photographic evidence for some things but not as proof of address. Are you being targeted or something?

blokesbloke

In the UK you'd have technically committed an offence by failing to notify the authorities of your new address and having your licence updated.

I assume the same sort of rule applies in Ireland because they need to have your correct address on your driving licence or there's no point in it being there.

EUrJokingMeRight

Produce your licence. Give it to the garda. If you dont feel like answering their questions you are under no legal obligation to do so afaik.

You can either reply 'I wont be answering any questions' and leave it at that if that is your wish or you can just answer their questions and go on your way.

Your choice.

Personally I've no problem assisting a garda with queries they may have as long as they are bona fide and justified.

clearmurk

They don't have a general right to demand it though. Gardai must have a reasonable suspicion that you committed a crime, and stopping people randomly on Grafton Street wouldn't meet that requirement. When driving it's different as they have greater powers then and are entitled to ask to see your license, and if you don't have it, they are then entitled to demand your name and address.
So you are saying that the driving licence is an identity card, and should be recognised as such by everyone. That is not its purpose.

Its purpose is to certify that you are licensed to drive the vehicle of which you are in charge. Some of the ancillary data it presents is your address, but this is only relevant at the time of issue, and I do not know why it is even there. The person is being licensed, not an address.

There is no requirement that I know of to maintain this address data current. Is there?

blokesbloke

So you are saying that the driving licence is an identity card, and should be recognised as such by everyone. That is not its purpose.

Its purpose is to certify that you are licensed to drive the vehicle of which you are in charge. Some of the ancillary data it presents is your address, but this is only relevant at the time of issue, and I do not know why it is even there. The person is being licensed, not an address.

There is no requirement that I know of to maintain this address data current. Is there?
There should be. If there isn't I don't see the point of having the address on the card.

New Threads

Most Replies