Islamic Attackers Storm HQ of Libya's Election Commission, 12 Dead

NativeWildCat

TRIPOLI (Reuters) - Suicide bombers stormed the head offices of Libya's electoral commission in Tripoli on Wednesday, killing at least 12 people and setting fire to the building in an attack claimed by the Islamic State militant group.

The assailants also opened fire on employees of the High National Election Commission (HNEC) and fought a gun battle with security forces trying to regain control of the site, officials said.

The attack appeared aimed at derailing efforts to organize elections in Libya by the end of this year, part of a U.N.-led attempt to unify and stabilize the country after years of conflict and political division.

"I saw two suicide bombers myself... they were shouting Allahu Akbar (God is greatest)," said commission spokesman Khaled Omar, who fled the offices with other staff as the attack unfolded.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2018-05-02/suicide-attack-targets-libyan-electoral-commission-offices-in-tripoli-spokesman

Scary to think this barbarity is only a 3 hour away flight from Ireland. What kind of animals are these where they can't even let the working class vote for their own leaders? Thoughts and prayers with the family of the dead. Such a waste of life.

Analyzer

More Power to Samantha !!!

And Rodham.

Trust the liberals to wreck anything they come across.

Last edited:

razorblade

Libya has been recklessly destroyed at the request of western leaders like Obama, Cameron and Sarkozy without regard about what was going to replace Gaddafi be careful what you wish for because it could well turn into something much worse.

Clanrickard

Analyzer

Libya has been recklessly destroyed at the request of western leaders like Obama, Cameron and Sarkozy without regard about what was going to replace Gaddafi be careful what you wish for because it could well turn into something much worse.

Mick Mac

Almost like there was a political movement trying to take over Libya. Hmm, anyhow, bi more thought to be given to that I'll just wait for someone to come along and say something bad bout Muslims at which point I can jump in and say screw you.

Cause the alternative is I say I stand with Muslims in opposition to the jihadis and I stand with Muslims in opposition to the far right. That's a bit more nuanced and it would take more time to explain. It's genuinely easier to keep quiet about fascists in t Muslim community and wait for some tit screaming bout the *******.

But that isn't the way it should be is it?

former wesleyan

The revolt against Ghadaffi was well under way before there was any intervention.

storybud1

With no thought of who would replace him, just like in Iraq. The US foreign policy establishment is simultaneously stupid and evil.
well Merkel is just as fooking nuts, it really shows how utterly rubbish world leaders really are when it comes to this kind of mayhem and spinning,,

maybe an AI programme can run these places, put it on the ballot paper ? an economy, a health systems , peace and moderate prosperity ? sure it could not be worse,,

Perhaps that is what the future of politics is , a choice of A1 programmes,, hard right to hard left ??

johnnypockets

Scary to think this barbarity is only a 3 hour away flight from Ireland. What kind of animals are these where they can't even let the working class vote for their own leaders? Thoughts and prayers with the family of the dead. Such a waste of life.
3 hours...what kind of plane would that be in :lol:

Mick Mac

Indeed, or one trying to take over P.ie.
And you oppose both of them equally?

Can you give both of them names?

Presumably you have a stages theory whereby the political movement in Libya doing the shooting is regarded as a more advanced version of the type you see on P.ie?

Presumably you are able to distinguish ordinary Irish people from the reprobates trying to take over P.ie? You stand with irish people against that political movement?

Presumably you are able to distinguish ordinary Libyans from the reprobates trying to take over Libya? You stand with Libyan people against that political movement?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
The problem with that cartoon is that it was drawn by someone with no understanding of what is/was going on. Under the Lizard King, Libya was a compliant state open to foreign oil. Post Lizard King it is a state close to a full reversion to pre-civilizational savagery. Cameron/Sarkozy/Obama knew removing the Lizard King would destabilise the country. They supported his removal because to not do so would be to tacitly deny Libyans the freedoms we enjoy in the west.

Same thing in Iraq and Afghanistan. Some people are given the opportunity to start anew and build a society that works, but they choose tribalism and barbarism instead. It never ceases to amaze me the way so many people blame the failure of backward, tribal sh1thole cultures on the West.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am saying the cultures prevalent in places like Libya, Egypt, Afghanistan and Iraq are not just inferior to the cultures of China/Japan/Korea/Taiwan/Thailand and the Western world in general. They're backward, savage, underdeveloped and warped and will reliably create outcomes like Libya.

To blame the west for this is both stupid and counterproductive.

Mick Mac

The problem with that cartoon is that it was drawn by someone with no understanding of what is/was going on. Under the Lizard King, Libya was a compliant state open to foreign oil. Post Lizard King it is a state close to a full reversion to pre-civilizational savagery. Cameron/Sarkozy/Obama knew removing the Lizard King would destabilise the country. They supported his removal because to not do so would be to tacitly deny Libyans the freedoms we enjoy in the west.

Same thing in Iraq and Afghanistan. Some people are given the opportunity to start anew and build a society that works, but they choose tribalism and barbarism instead. It never ceases to amaze me the way so many people blame the failure of backward, tribal sh1thole cultures on the West.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am saying the cultures prevalent in places like Libya, Egypt, Afghanistan and Iraq are not just inferior to the cultures of China/Japan/Korea/Taiwan/Thailand and the Western world in general. They're backward, savage, underdeveloped and warped and will reliably create outcomes like Libya.

To blame the west for this is both stupid and counterproductive.
I am sure that the word prevalent will be missed by many.

It's the key word.

redhead

And you oppose both of them equally?
I oppose both.

Can you give both of them names?
No.

Presumably you have a stages theory whereby the political movement in Libya doing the shooting is regarded as a more advanced version of the type you see on P.ie?
No.

Presumably you are able to distinguish ordinary Irish people from the reprobates trying to take over P.ie?
Yes.

You stand with irish people against that political movement?
I don't support the ideology of Nationalism.

Presumably you are able to distinguish ordinary Libyans from the reprobates trying to take over Libya?
Yes.

You stand with Libyan people against that political movement?
I sympathise, which isn't quite the same thing.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
3 hours...what kind of plane would that be in :lol:
I travelled an equivalent distance today and it took 4 hours. The answer to you question then is "An everyday commercial jet with a decent tailwind"

New Threads

Most Replies