Isn't it time that we had a National ID Card

padraig

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
madboggar said:
I do not no about you but i have never been harrassed by a gard a no a lot of scum-bags who have been pulled off the street for joy riding and robbery are these the scum bags who we should be protecting. I think this country have to tell these scum bags that we are not standing for it anymore. A National ID Card would keep this type of people off the streets.

I think that we should support the Gardaí not constantly putting them down.
So do you think having to carry a ID card is suddenly going to stop joy-riding and robbery, and ths idea is not helping the Gardai or intended to do so.

MacCoise

madboggar said:
Now that the US and UK are bringing in ID Cards, Should we not follow, imagine going up to a bar door the bouncer says some id please, you swipe your card on a machine and off you go. Drivers licence could be just enabled on the card, no more paperwork.

I really feel it is time for a National ID Card System in Ireland. Where it is against the law for a Citizen not to carry one, no more scum bags on street corners giving false Names to the Gardai ( if they do not have there card well i am sorry jail time or Fine )

The TIME HAS COME - What do you think

you would think if you were making up a name you would make up a reasonable name like smith, or something not this guy's name

Conor

MacCoise said:
you would think if you were making up a name you would make up a reasonable name like smith, or something not this guy's name
It's not a makey-uppy name. Check here.

horseface

Website
www.tomgriffin.org
I could be wrong but I seem to remember somewhere the Dept of Justice admitting this was more or less about falling into line with the UK.
If that's true, then we might not here much about it, because its not clear that the new Labour Government in Britain will have a strong enough majority to bring in the legislation.

hivemind

The US does not have compulsory ID cards and is never likely to. The UK is talking about it but it doesn't seem to have enough support to get it in. So, we wouldn't be emulating the US or the UK if we adopted this. France does, perhaps you could do some research and find out about the positive and negative effects of the compulsory ID card there.

Surely joyriders are taken down to the station when caught anyway? I doubt the gardai just take their names and let them go. What exact benefit do you expect a compulsory ID card would have with regard to 'scumbags on streetcorners' anyway? You seem to think that ID cards would stop people from congregating in the streets. Why?

I have no problem with voluntary ID cards. If the police have enough reason to believe you have committed a crime then, if you can't prove your identity, they can arrest you and take you to the station while they prove your identity for themselves. If they just don't like the look of you or are on a fishing expedition they can't arrest you (or at least they shouldn't) and I have no problem with that either.

If you've got nothing to hide then why not go the whole hog and have radio frequency ID chips implanted in everyone. It would be handy if all that CCTV camera footage could have little ID numbers floating above the peoples heads. If the tribunals could inform the witnesses that the gardai recorded their chip being in the same meeting as the accused at the time in question. If everyone within 100 metres of a murder could be called upon to eliminate them as suspects. Probably sounds great to you, but that much power in the hands of a fallible authority is very dangerous.

If the gardai were above reproach I would be perfectly happy for them to have all the surveillance and data they wished, however they have proven time and again they they can be as corrupt as any human organisation.

madboggar

So not one person agrees with a National ID Card System. The whole idea is completely negative. There is not one good thing about it.

hivemind

It's your job to show the benefits of this and then defend them against challenges. You haven't really done either.

ryano

idefix said:
madboggar said:
think this country have to tell these scum bags that we are not standing for it anymore. A National ID Card would keep this type of people off the streets.
How exactly?
Blunkett and Blair didn't feel it necessary to address that question, why should be expect our friend madboggar to do so?

GusherING

If I recall, a few months back McDowell said he was against the idea, something I actually agree with him on. ID cards compromise my liberty by being obliged to carry one at all times, maybe in wartime, would I see the merits, but thats it. They serve little purpose other than the state imposing its big brother like reigeme. And besides, in the UK, Labour dropped the idea for the election (although I suspect its coming back) and in the US 80% of people don't have passports. Its clearly not a cool idea with the public anywhere you suggest they think its a good idea.

Conor

Would anyone be interested in a National Birthday card? The State could send a card to everyone on their birthday on behalf of everyone else in the country, signed by the President or something. It'd cost a fortune and have no appreciable effect, but it'd be nice. Especially for the poor and marginalised in our community who have no family or friends to remember their birthday.

GusherING

Conor said:
Would anyone be interested in a National Birthday card? The State could send a card to everyone on their birthday on behalf of everyone else in the country, signed by the President or something. It'd cost a fortune and have no appreciable effect, but it'd be nice. Especially for the poor and marginalised in our community who have no family or friends to remember their birthday.
Now that I'd like. It could be called "Compassionate Government" or something like that. The old ladies would love it, although the opposition would call it 'blatant electioneering', which of course is what it would be. Maybe Tom Parlon would take it up?

ryano

The State could send a card to everyone on their birthday on behalf of everyone else in the country, signed by the President or something. It'd cost a fortune and have no appreciable effect, but it'd be nice.
Tell me it will keep the scumbags off the streets and I'll vote for it.

padraig

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Conor said:
Ah Conor, did everyone forget your birthday again... :lol:

padraig

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
ryano said:
The State could send a card to everyone on their birthday on behalf of everyone else in the country, signed by the President or something. It'd cost a fortune and have no appreciable effect, but it'd be nice.
Tell me it will keep the scumbags off the streets and I'll vote for it.
It won't.

geraghd

Would anyone be interested in a National Birthday card? The State could send a card to everyone on their birthday on behalf of everyone else in the country, signed by the President or something. It'd cost a fortune and have no appreciable effect, but it'd be nice.
Or one at your 18th saying happy birthday and showing all their entitlements, responsibilties, all info on elections the democratic process, govt departments etc and form stating they are on the electoral register.
That would be nice. Also saying that the state loves you and you must obey it etc etc... Might be good for those that are marginalised and are in the risk category for suicide, showing there is more to life that unfortunate issues that lead to such tragic consequences.

borderlinegenius

geraghd said:
Also saying that the state loves you and you must obey it etc etc... Might be good for those that are marginalised and are in the risk category for suicide, showing there is more to life that unfortunate issues that lead to such tragic consequences.
FG could send them a big box of hope, perhaps?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies