• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Isn't it time to scrap cash?

Shqiptar

Perhaps it's purely anecdotal but I have heard it stated that one potential reason why the euro has maintained its value so well (and continues to) is because international criminals love it. In particular, they love the 500 euro note because it has such a high value denomination. It permits huge amounts of cash to moved around quite easily and untraceably.

If a drugs gang collects up to £1m [sterling] in twenties from its clients on street corners, those notes will weigh more than 50kg - about 50 bags of sugar. The equivalent in 500 euro banknotes weighs just over 2kg.
Be that as it may, the use of cash is a Godsend for terrorists, criminals and tax evaders all around the world. Just think how much extra a country like Greece could garner in tax revenue if all payments were done by traceable electronic means. Just think how devastating it would be for the criminal underworld if banknotes were no longer legal tender.

Far-fetched, you say? Come on, practically everyone has a mobile phone. In Sweden, only 3% of transactions are done with cash since cards and mobile phones can be used so readily to pay for items. The second article below describes the latest advances in recognition technology which would make transactions super-secure.

No doubt there will be those who would see this as an extension of governmental power, a lot more Big Brother. It depends on whether you feel more threatened by your own government or terrorists and criminals, I suppose.

Sources:
1.BBC News - 500 euro note - why criminals love it so
2.A Cashless Society May Be Closer Than Most People Would Ever Dare To Imagine

Mackers

I totally agree with scrapping cash. Please send you old stuff to Mackers c/o Bank of Ireland account no. 555666777. Thank you for your custom. It will go to a good home.

Neutron

NO.

Of course the elites would love us to scrap cash and rely on plastic.

darkhorse

Not going to happen - people are entitled to take posession of their money rather than leave it in a financial institution - ie cash

Shqiptar

NO.

Of course the elites would love us to scrap cash and rely on plastic.
Not elite criminals and terrorists.

By the way, how do you think some of our own elites managed to diddle the system?

Shqiptar

Not going to happen - people are entitled to take posession of their money rather than leave it in a financial institution - ie cash
I don't see why but I'm sure that could be facilitated electronically.

Shqiptar

I totally agree with scrapping cash. Please send you old stuff to Mackers c/o Bank of Ireland account no. 555666777. Thank you for your custom. It will go to a good home.
Grand. There are a few big bags of Zimbabwean dollars and Argentinian pesos heading your way. You won't mind paying the postage?

darkhorse

I don't see why but I'm sure that could be facilitated electronically.
It cant
People want their money physically in their pockets
They own it so its theirs - and not dependant on any financial institution

viper999

No bloody way, would equal total control of our lives by elites and banks.

The Lighthouse Keeper

Absolutely not.
Cash is king.
It is one of the few remaining anonymous things we have.
Damned if my bank is going to know about every pint I buy, every bet I put on.......

SPN

What happens the day the ESB goes on strike?

Shqiptar

It cant
People want their money physically in their pockets
They own it so its theirs - and not dependant on any financial institution
How do you know what all people want?

Anyway, think about topping up a pay-as-you-go mobile phone. By the same token, you could take money out of your bank account in The Big Evil Financial Institution and hold it in an account stored in your own phone - to spend as you wish. How would that infringe your rights?

constitutionus

jesus no.

if this whole financial disaster has done anything its convinced people the exact opposite !

to paraphrase heston : they can drag my paper money from my cold dead hands !

im fupped if im gonna line some wideboy in a suits pockets just to transact basic business.

:D :D :D

constitutionus

What happens the day the ESB goes on strike?
that dear SPN is when ya learn who really runs the country !

:D :D :D

nonpartyboy

If you want to pay to put your money into your a/c, pay to keep your money in your a/c and pay to get your money back out then you work away.

Even with cash still readily available, the banks were deemed to important to fail......csn you imagine what they would be like with no cash full stop ?

Ribeye

Perhaps it's purely anecdotal but I have heard it stated that one potential reason why the euro has maintained its value so well (and continues to) is because international criminals love it. In particular, they love the 500 euro note because it has such a high value denomination. It permits huge amounts of cash to moved around quite easily and untraceably.

Be that as it may, the use of cash is a Godsend for terrorists, criminals and tax evaders all around the world. Just think how much extra a country like Greece could garner in tax revenue if all payments were done by traceable electronic means. Just think how devastating it would be for the criminal underworld if banknotes were no longer legal tender.

Far-fetched, you say? Come on, practically everyone has a mobile phone. In Sweden, only 3% of transactions are done with cash since cards and mobile phones can be used so readily to pay for items. The second article below describes the latest advances in recognition technology which would make transactions super-secure.

No doubt there will be those who would see this as an extension of governmental power, a lot more Big Brother. It depends on whether you feel more threatened by your own government or terrorists and criminals, I suppose.

Sources:
1.BBC News - 500 euro note - why criminals love it so
2.A Cashless Society May Be Closer Than Most People Would Ever Dare To Imagine
"maintained its value" - not against money it hasn't,

"terrorists" - depends on your point of view,

"criminals" - drug dealers are just giving people what they want,

"tax evaders" - heroic patriots,

The Euro bank notes will be going all right, don't worry about that,

Just not for the reasons in the OP:)

Shqiptar

If you want to pay to put your money into your a/c, pay to keep your money in your a/c and pay to get your money back out then you work away.

Even with cash still readily available, the banks were deemed to important to fail......csn you imagine what they would be like with no cash full stop ?
Not every bank in the world is as extortionate as the Irish ones.