• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Israel Airport Security 'Allowed to Read Tourists' Email'

eyelight

A holiday is Israel seems to be the massage this mysterious "Irish4Israel" group is currently trying to push on bus shelters.
Funny how they don't mention this sort of thing.
Brings to mind the Romanians having to register their typewriters back in the Ceaușescu days.

Israeli security officials at Ben Gurion airport are legally allowed to demand access to tourists’ email accounts and deny them entry if they refuse, the country’s top legal official said on Wednesday.

Details of the policy were laid out by Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein in a written response to the Association for Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI), the group said in a statement.

In June 2012, ACRI’s Lila Margalit wrote to the attorney general demanding clarification following media reports about security officials demanding access to tourists’ email accounts before allowing them into the country.

“In a response dated April 24, 2013, the attorney general’s office confirmed this practice,” ACRI said, quoting sections of the document which said it was only done in exceptional cases where “relevant suspicious signs” were evident and only done with the tourist’s “consent”.

"However, the attorney general's office also noted that while a tourist may refuse such a search, 'it will be made clear to him that his refusal will be taken into consideration along with other relevant factors, in deciding whether to allow him entry to Israel'," it continued.
Is someone going to refuse this after hours of travel and hundreds, or maybe thousands spent on flights and accommodation?

I guess it could be worse though. They could clone your passport to use when killing people.

It is not at all uncommon for the mostly youthful immigration officers to wander off, passports and tickets in hand, ostensibly to consult with their seniors. Surrendering documents at check-in or at immigration has hitherto been considered a necessary evil for all those travelling in and out of Ben Gurion.

But the evidence that the Israeli state has been taking the information gleaned from these inspections to create cloned identities for its spies introduces a new level of risk to the experience.

The report by the UK’s Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca) into the use of cloned British passports in the Dubai assassination makes clear their view that this is what happened as Britons travelled through the airport in the months and years before the plot was hatched to kill the Hamas commander Mahmoud al-Mabhouh.

The Soca report concluded that the passports must have been cloned at the airport or at other interfaces with Israeli officialdom, such as airline offices in other countries.

Dame_Enda

Unworkable. If someone is a terrorist they can just set up a new account beforehand with no terrorist material in their inbox.

P Ryan

A holiday is Israel seems to be the massage this mysterious "Irish4Israel" group is currently trying to push on bus shelters.
Funny how they don't mention this sort of thing.
Brings to mind the Romanians having to register their typewriters back in the Ceaușescu days.

Is someone going to refuse this after hours of travel and hundreds, or maybe thousands spent on flights and accommodation?

I guess it could be worse though. They could clone your passport to use when killing people.
yawn.... another eyelight jew-hating thead.

Zoo please mods.

P Ryan

How is it "jew hating"? There are legitimate privacy concerns.
maybe, but all of Eyelight's threads are inspired by his virulent anti-semetism. Next time Netanyahu farts, he'll probably be on here with a thread claiming it was a mossad poison gas attack against their political opponents :D

Dame_Enda

Eyelight is a critic of Israel not an anti-semite. ADL-type blacklisting will not work in this country.

Iphonista

Eyelight is a critic of Israel not an anti-semite. ADL-type blacklisting will not work in this country.
You'll find the occasional snide remark about Jews coming from Eyelight. Not all of Israel's critics here are anti-Jewish but I think Eyelight is.

eyelight

bebeno

This has been going on for years.
The security guard found this especially hilarious. With a laugh, she called her blonde colleague over and reread the sentence mockingly. “You can tell your friend, not only do we google you, we read your emails, too!”
After reading several more emails, they wrote down every contact name, email, and phone number they could find. Finally, the interrogator said, “Okay you can go.” But before I could even feel the slightest sense of relief she added, “Good luck getting into Israel.”
Detained at Ben Gurion: 'Not only do we google you, we read your emails, too!'

eyelight

You'll find the occasional snide remark about Jews coming from Eyelight. Not all of Israel's critics here are anti-Jewish but I think Eyelight is.
Thanks for your support :roll:
If I ever have an identity crisis, it's good to know complete strangers on the internet can set me straight.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Will we get a third thread out of it? Maybe shelve it for a few months and dust it down again?

flavirostris

It's the only place where I've had my suitcase opened and had to stand holding underwear and stuff while they swabbed the insides of case.

Bonsai Experiment

Unworkable. If someone is a terrorist they can just set up a new account beforehand with no terrorist material in their inbox.
There not even looking for terrorist stuf, ffs , what type of terrorist has his bomb making plans on his emails.?

They're looking for inane stuff like emails from IPSC or subscriptions to Electronic Intafada, if they find something like that they'll humiliate you for a few hours take all your stuff out and when you holiday is proper fncked, they'll send you home.
That's the chance you take going somewhere like that.