• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Israel and Palestine- Does anyone just not care either way?

stopdoingstuff

At any given time on this board, there will be usually some bitterly contentious thread on the Israel V Palestine question. It will feature all the usual partisan viewpoints about each side, the same litany of crimes and abuses, justifications for those very same crimes and abuses, and it never really leads anywhere beyond more hostility and strife.

So I was wondering- is there anyone out there who just doesn't give a toss either way? Is there anyone out there who just switches off as soon as the conflict is brought up and who just wishes that both sides would come to some sort of peaceful arrangement? I would love to care but I just can't- I just want them to go back to being civilized human beings who live peaceful lives, and I would love to be able to turn on the news without having to see the same sad scenes again and again. But that is not going to happen- it is just going to drag on and on, so I am done giving a toss about it. There are a hundred more important political issues for me to care about. Does any one else have the same feeling of apathy and utter disengagement when it comes to this tedious issue that has virtually no material impact on most peoples lives? Does anyone else just tune out whenever it comes up?

IrishWelshCelt

If you dont care about the genocide of the Palestinian people, you've got serious issues.

Tea Party Patriot

At any given time on this board, there will be usually some bitterly contentious thread on the Israel V Palestine question.
You most likely have just started one.

drummed

Me! Could'nt care less.

neiphin

thats what they want

greenbacks

Ireland is the leading light in Europe when it comes to exposing Israel's apartheid.

That makes me, as an Irish citizen, immensely proud.

USER1234

I don't think its possible to talk to anybody who knows anything about the subject who doesn't have a view one way or the other!!!

Last edited:
R

Ramps

Does anyone else just tune out whenever it comes up?
Yes and no. I think it's as important (but not any more important) an issue as any other, but it's almost impossible to come across balanced comments on this site.

The supporters of the Palestinians are usually, but not always: (a) SF/IRA types, who feel they must support the "downtrodden"; (b)the largest group, those whose condemnation of Israel is really a way for them to express their hatred of the US; and (c) the smallest group, those in whom resides a latent antisemitism.

The supporters of Israel are usually more reasonable, but are inclined to be blinded to the undoubted wrongs that Israel has committed.

As soon as I see a comment about the "genocide of the Palestinians", I just move on to something else.

Last edited:

Protestant/Catholic=Irish

I care, but my mind isn't made up on who's right or wrong. If Israel stopped the bombing, building settlements etc., I'd probably call myself a neutral.

GDPR

Ireland is the leading light in Europe when it comes to exposing Israel's apartheid.
Apartheid in Saudi Arabia and Egypt against non Muslims making them less than equal before the law doesn't exactly help the cause of the Palestinians at all in my opinion. Look at the treatment of Copts in Egypt. Just try building a Christian church in Saudi Arabia or in Egypt. It just makes apartheid and extremism look like a normal regional behaviour and probably makes people lump all the nutjobs in together and think well why should Israel be any different.

Lando Calrissian

I kind of dont care Im ashamed to say. Neither sides apologists do their cause any favours.Its a veritable verbal mine field for reasonable folks to wander through. You have to be uber careful what you say. Labels such as Zionist or anti semite are so lazily thrown about. Its just not worth it.

ManUnited

At any given time on this board, there will be usually some bitterly contentious thread on the Israel V Palestine question. It will feature all the usual partisan viewpoints about each side, the same litany of crimes and abuses, justifications for those very same crimes and abuses, and it never really leads anywhere beyond more hostility and strife.

So I was wondering- is there anyone out there who just doesn't give a toss either way? Is there anyone out there who just switches off as soon as the conflict is brought up and who just wishes that both sides would come to some sort of peaceful arrangement? I would love to care but I just can't- I just want them to go back to being civilized human beings who live peaceful lives, and I would love to be able to turn on the news without having to see the same sad scenes again and again. But that is not going to happen- it is just going to drag on and on, so I am done giving a toss about it. There are a hundred more important political issues for me to care about. Does any one else have the same feeling of apathy and utter disengagement when it comes to this tedious issue that has virtually no material impact on most peoples lives? Does anyone else just tune out whenever it comes up?
I'm with you on this one stopdoingstuff. I've been reading about them and seeing them on the news for so long now I don't care either.

NYCKY

Yes and no. I think it's as important (but not any more important) an issue as any other, but it's almost impossible to come across balanced comments on this site.

The supporters of the Palestinians are usually, but not always: (a) SF/IRA types, who feel they must support the "downtrodden"; (b)the largest group, those whose condemnation of Israel is really a way for them to express their hatred of the US; and (c) the smallest group, those in whom resides a latent antisemitism.

The supporters of Israel are usually more reasonable, but are inclined to be blinded to the undoubted wrongs that Israel has committed.
e
As soon as I see a comment about the "genocide of the Palestinians", I just move on to something else.
I think your paragraph that I bolded has done a really good job of summarizing the issue on this site. There is a lot of anti semitism and not so latent anti Americanism here but there are many SF/IRA types who venerate the Palestinians for their "sufferings".

There are many aspects to the conflict and neither side is blameless but you would never think that from a cursory glance at this site

irish-italian

I personally am pro Palestine, anti Zionist (this is not the same as anti Israel as many Jews are also anti Zionist) but I do not support PSF or the provos. I grew up in the 6 counties and witnessed imperialism first hand therefore I am anti imperialist. I volunteered in Palestine on numerous occasions and saw first hand what happens at the hands of the US funded Israeli imperialists and they are anything but reasonable.

Ian Paisley supports Israel, as does Willy Frazier and most loyalists in the 6. They too are anything but reasonable.

Many treat it like supporting a football team without ever having seen first hand what happens and believing the hype, on both sides. Israel IGNORE the UN and their decisions against them and continue playing the victim claiming they are the downtrodden ones and if you dare speak out you are branded anti Semitic. Yet they with their Zionist ways are the real anti Semitics.

timhorgan

I would love to care but I just can't- I just want them to go back to being civilized human beings who live peaceful lives, and I would love to be able to turn on the news without having to see the same sad scenes again and again. But that is not going to happen- it is just going to drag on and on, so I am done giving a toss about it. There are a hundred more important political issues for me to care about.
I do not know who you are but I can tell you for a fact that the young Palestinian children, especially the tragic little girl at the end of this video with Ross Kemp, have more humanity, civilisation and culture than you can ever even begin to aspire to.Have we in Ireland come to this - an ignorant, smug, self-pitying, selfish yob who now enjoys the privileges of our Republic because other, better generations of Irishmen and Irishwomen knew and wanted better.

Children in Gaza - YouTube

It is you who needs to "go back to being civilised".

Thank God we Irish still have decent, humane people who speak for us. Honest, cultured men such as John Ging (in the video) and Col. Desmond Travers (of the Goldstone Commission).

Last edited:

freewillie

If you dont care about the genocide of the Palestinian people, you've got serious issues.
I dont care one bit about the Palestinians. They have allowed themselves to be used by the Arabs dictators around them as a diversion from their regimes. If they had any cop on they would realise that they could come to a very good compromise with the Israelis which would result in a far better standard of life for both peoples.

R

Ramps

I personally am pro Palestine, anti Zionist (this is not the same as anti Israel as many Jews are also anti Zionist) but I do not support PSF or the provos. I grew up in the 6 counties and witnessed imperialism first hand therefore I am anti imperialist. I volunteered in Palestine on numerous occasions and saw first hand what happens at the hands of the US funded Israeli imperialists and they are anything but reasonable.

Ian Paisley supports Israel, as does Willy Frazier and most loyalists in the 6. They too are anything but reasonable.

Many treat it like supporting a football team without ever having seen first hand what happens and believing the hype, on both sides. Israel IGNORE the UN and their decisions against them and continue playing the victim claiming they are the downtrodden ones and if you dare speak out you are branded anti Semitic. Yet they with their Zionist ways are the real anti Semitics.
The bits in bold are exactly what I'm talking about.