Israel: flotilla raid justified, is Israel now a rogue, terrorist state ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
The Israelis have found the flotilla raid justified, albeit with minor quibbles over operational details
Israeli inquiry finds raid justified - The Irish Times - Mon, Jul 12, 2010

Let's remember, in international waters, Israel launched a sudden strike against humanitarian ships. Israel's soldiers shot dead 9 people, some of whom were shot in the back.

I don't think we can consider Israel a normal or civilised state any longer, they have long since lowered themselves to the level of the terrorists they oppose. I think they should be treated accordingly, and privileges of civilised statehood denied them.

cYp

former wesleyan

The Israelis have found the flotilla raid justified, albeit with minor quibbles over operational details
Israeli inquiry finds raid justified - The Irish Times - Mon, Jul 12, 2010

Let's remember, in international waters, Israel launched a sudden strike against humanitarian ships. Israel's soldiers shot dead 9 people, some of whom were shot in the back.

I don't think we can consider Israel a normal or civilised state any longer, they have long since lowered themselves to the level of the terrorists they oppose. I think they should be treated accordingly, and privileges of civilised statehood denied them.

cYp
Is that in your gift ?

zerodayronin

Can anyone honestly say they expected anything resembling accountability from Israel? They admit no wrongdoing and are deaf to sustained international criticism.

SideysGhost

What do you mean now? They've been a rogue terrorist state as long as I can remember (late 30s).

Just like their big brothers in the US and UK. Rogue terrorists all.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Is that in your gift ?
Well there's a number of actions Ireland can undertake, including getting them back on the list of un-cooperative states regards money laundering (they've been on/off it a long time)

Reducing their diplomatic mission here to the bare minimum

Freezing bank accounts related to their state operations

etc

There's no sense any longer in pretending we are dealing with a legitimate state - they've fully gone to the dark side.

cYp

Jaymac

A terrorist state views its terrorist actions as legitimate. Are you surprised?

The Irish government need to organise a proper Israeli boycott. I can't see them doing it though.

kerdasi amaq

They don't really believe that they've done anything wrong, and probably are very puzzled as to why the rest of the world does not agree with them!:p

IPRIreland

Website
www.facebook.com
Can anybody show me anything in this article which is 'wrong'? Putting aside your love him/hate him feelings of course and looking at it objectively.

Ian O'Doherty: So-called 'do-gooders' provoked the Israelis - Ian O'Doherty, Columnists - Independent.ie

Particularly this statement:

"And for all the crocodile tears that are shed for the Palestinians, where was the person on that boat who said: "Hang on -- we can make a political point another day, today let's just concentrate on getting baby formula to starving Palestinian children?"

Where was the person who reckoned that the time for posturing could come another day, because they were more concerned with being pro-Palestinian than they were with being anti-Israeli?"

seabhcan

Can anybody show me anything in this article which is 'wrong'? Putting aside your love him/hate him feelings of course and looking at it objectively.

Ian O'Doherty: So-called 'do-gooders' provoked the Israelis - Ian O'Doherty, Columnists - Independent.ie

Particularly this statement:
This part is wrong:

After all, every boat in the flotilla had been given the option of docking in the nearby Israeli port of the historic town -- well, they're all pretty historic in that part of the world, in fairness -- of Ashdod.

When docked, their cargo would be searched by Israeli military customs to make sure they weren't bringing weapons or war material into Gaza and then they would be allowed to go in and distribute the aid to the needy civilians.
Far more than just 'war material' was banned by Isreal. The banned list (which is a secret list and subject to change without notice) included things like childrens toys, corriander, tinned fish and concrete:

BBC News - Details of Gaza blockade revealed in court case

Ó Donnchadha

A good piece in the WSJ gives a good take on the "so called" peace flotilla.

"The flotilla carried peaceful activists." Some of the people on the flotilla could be described that way—the kind of people who circulate petitions, write blog posts, and attend demonstrations. Lost in much of the reporting of the incident, though, was the fact that the violence occurred on only one of the six boats—the one filled with Turkish Muslim fundamentalists who aren't enamored of passive resistance or letters to the editor.
Unfortunately for the media, their presence complicated the narrative. A flotilla manned by both non-violent activists and Islamic fundamentalists raises too many difficulties. What are these two types doing together? Was this a humanitarian mission or not? Aren't they, after all, civilians no matter where they're from? Thus it became a clash between civilian activists and armed commandos.
To make that narrative more convincing, the Islamists were described as a "Turkish human rights organization." The Foundation for Human Rights and Freedom and Humanitarian Relief, or IHH, does have its charitable side. Much was made of the fact that it provided assistance in Haiti and to the victims of Hurricane Katrina, not to mention Muslims in distress. However, it is an Islamic fundamentalist organization, so it is doubtful that it promotes equality for women or homosexuals or many other parts of the conventional human rights agenda. IHH has been accused of links to al-Qaida and openly supports Hamas, two groups with zero interest in human rights. If IHH had human needs in mind, it could have worked with Fatah or aid agencies. But its real interest is Islamic struggle.

The media have always had a problem explaining groups that support terror and also seem to do good work. Al-Qaida is simple because it doesn't run hospitals or provide grants to widows and orphans. Groups like Hezbollah and Hamas, which do both, complicate the narrative and usually end up losing their terrorist character in the reporting.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it," Winston Churchill is supposed to have said. Here is the link to the story: David Rosenberg: The Media's War Against Israel - WSJ.com

NYCKY

Oh yawn!

Yet another Israeli bashing thread.

There was a terrorist attack in Kampala Uganda on Sunday in which 74 people were killed and unconfirmed reports that the casualties included an Irish woman. People watching the World cup Final, a football game! Where is the outrage??

Somehow I suspect that this outrage won't generate but a fraction of the condemnation that Israel will get for something that happened weeks ago and resulted in far less casualties.

Ó Donnchadha

Oh yawn!

There was a terrorist attack in Kampala Uganda on Sunday in which 74 people were killed and unconfirmed reports that the casualties included an Irish woman. People watching the World cup Final, a football game! Where is the outrage??

Somehow I suspect that this outrage won't generate but a fraction of the condemnation that Israel will get for something that happened weeks ago and resulted in far less casualties.
Of course it won't, because as the story I posted presented, the facts are meaningless to the narrative that is being presented.

So what Islamist terrorist blow people to tiny bits. The secular left could care less, they will stay on point Jew = Bad.

Ó Donnchadha

Oh yawn!

Oh PS Yankees suck, go Red Sox. :D

NYCKY

Oh PS Yankees suck, go Red Sox. :D
Thanks O Donnchadha - You talk a lot of sense except when it comes to baseball. You need to come South and visit the New Yankee stadium where we can show you New Englanders how baseball is played. Come visit the World Champions at their new home and you will never again go to that dump that is aka Fenway Park.:D:D

Ó Donnchadha

Thanks O Donnchadha - You talk a lot of sense except when it comes to baseball. You need to come South and visit the New Yankee stadium where we can show you New Englanders how baseball is played. Come visit the World Champions at their new home and you will never again go to that dump that is aka Fenway Park.:D:D

Fenway is a Holy Shrine, and you know it. I still remember when the yankeess *cough* Cough* choked against the Red Sox in the MLB AL championships, then the Sox went on to glory that year. :cool:

Banshee

Well there's a number of actions Ireland can undertake, including getting them back on the list of un-cooperative states regards money laundering (they've been on/off it a long time)

Reducing their diplomatic mission here to the bare minimum

Freezing bank accounts related to their state operations

etc

There's no sense any longer in pretending we are dealing with a legitimate state - they've fully gone to the dark side.

cYp
Or, as is likely with the spineless Irish government and EU...DO NOTHING.

I'm sure that if the Third Reich conducted an enquiry into the invasion of Poland, they too would find that justified.

Despicable that FF jump on the bandwagon with populist soundbites and then do absolutely nothing to follow up.

Clanrickard

Oh yawn!

Look mate. Israel is the new "right on" cause for the Irish middle classes and students. Bashing Israel with out any understanding of the issues is socially acceptable and even encouraged. Don't bother arguing with some people here because so visceral is their hatred that they are beyond all reason. 74 dead in Kampala? *piff* No kudos to be had with eh biens pensents there. Muslims, especailly third world ones, are one of these groups who get a free pass because they are poor/oppressed/uneducated/forced into it by the evil West (delete as appropriate).

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
We? You can do nothing. The great state of Israel will exist long after Ireland has been transformed into a third world debt-enslaved ghetto. Bunch of thugs tries to run blockade, 9 get killed, boo-hoo for them. The world turns.

A terrorist state views its terrorist actions as legitimate. Are you surprised?

The Irish government need to organise a proper Israeli boycott. I can't see them doing it though.
Feel free to organise your own personal boycott. Of if you really give a damn, head off to gaza to work for some NGO. I myself will continue to buy Israeli given the choice.

A_man_about_a_dog

The attack upon the flotilla has simply served to highlight the fact that Israel feels it can act in whatever manner it sees fit without having to fear any form of repercussion, due to Washington's unwavering support. Israel is a rogue state which ignore international laws & norms on a daily basis, and it has been doing so for well over half a century.

The fact that this behavior has been tolerated by the rest of the supposedly "democratic" and"developed" world is a sad reflection on the governments of those countries.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies