• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Israel Folau

AyaanMyHero

Deep thinking is great. But reality has to intrude. You guys are coming off quite student and in for a shock in the real world.
I am afraid we are not discussing a very simple matter here. There are simple-to-implement "solutions" like you suggest but they won't suffice or last. For instance, the subject of employee social media use is extremely topical right now in legal circles. What makes you think, that you are smart enough to know the solution when trained legal people are struggling with it.

owedtojoy

team
Israel Folau sacked after panel rules in favour of Rugby Australia
  • Social media post proves the end for Wallabies star
  • Player’s four-year, $4m contract terminated

I think everyone who supports the sport of Rugby Union will see this as a sad day, though maybe for different reasons.

Hillmanhunter1

Media reports suggest that Folau will waive the Code of Conduct appeal (which seems wise as the appeals panel cannot weigh the freedom of speech/religion issue) and head straight to the courts.

riven

ding dong, the bigot is gone. I hope the cardinal sinner goes to confession for usurping the judgement of god

Emily Davison

I think everyone who supports the sport of Rugby Union will see this as a sad day, though maybe for different reasons.
I see it quite the opposite. I think it's a great day for Rugby. Homophobes and others will not be tolerated. Rugby is inclusive, tolerant and will not let haters besmirch the reputation of rugby. This is a powerful message now to anyone trying to use religion to justify and spread hate.

Respect for woman and gay people -what's not to like. If they hadn't sacked him I've have been upset.

riven

And the Liar Folau keeps on lying. His statement below and my comments

It has been a privilege and an honour to represent Australia and my home state of New South Wales, playing the game I love. I am deeply saddened by today’s decision to terminate my employment and I am considering my options. As Australians, we are born with certain rights, including the right to freedom of religion and the right to freedom of expression.

The Christian faith has always been a part of my life and I believe it is my duty as a Christian to share God’s word. Upholding my religious beliefs should not prevent my ability to work or play for my club and country.
Folau, by casting judgement on people, you were not upholding religious beliefs. You were making statement in contradiction to your religion and in doing so, committed several cardinal sins. Your bigoted, anti religious hate speech is what prevents you from playing.

Emily Davison

And the Liar Folau keeps on lying. His statement below and my comments

Folau, by casting judgement on people, you were not upholding religious beliefs. You were making statement in contradiction to your religion and in doing so, committed several cardinal sins. Your bigoted, anti religious hate speech is what prevents you from playing.
He's a piece of work is what he is.

owedtojoy

I see it quite the opposite. I think it's a great day for Rugby. Homophobes and others will not be tolerated. Rugby is inclusive, tolerant and will not let haters besmirch the reputation of rugby. This is a powerful message now to anyone trying to use religion to justify and spread hate.

Respect for woman and gay people -what's not to like. If they hadn't sacked him I've have been upset.
Yes, and I agree up to a point. Rugby needs to be a safe house for everyone, it must remain a sport of "The World In Union".

I am sad that Folau broadcast his personal prejudice, and chose to exclude himself from the Rugby Union family.

The game is going to be deprived of a great talent, but that is the price worth paying to keep bigotry out of the game.

Emily Davison

Yes, and I agree up to a point. Rugby needs to be a safe house for everyone, it must remain a sport of "The World In Union".

I am sad that Folau broadcast his personal prejudice, and chose to exclude himself from the Rugby Union family.

The game is going to be deprived of a great talent, but that is the price worth paying to keep bigotry out of the game.
I am glad that we know what type of man Folau is. The price worth paying is less tolerance for religious views being used to justify homophobia. And the main benefit will be a better world where all our children are treated equally and will not feel shunned, banished, frightened or suicidal because of the view of religious bigots who get traction.

AyaanMyHero

No real surprise about the outcome here but it is sad from my perspective also, for same reasons and of course, I have additional reasons to be sad about it.

You show some level of compassion (i do not mean necessarily for Folau but you can see that a
trade-off has been made and it is not win-win). That is a good thing, I think.

Do you feel any compassion for Folau as a matter of interest ?

Hillmanhunter1

Rugby is inclusive, tolerant and will not let haters besmirch the reputation of rugby.
It is a corrupt, perverse and debased kind of inclusivity that is achieved by excluding people and their opinions.

I am glad that we know what type of man Folau is.
We found out nothing about Israel Folau today. His faith has been a matter of public record for decades.

What we found out today is that the appetite of corporations to engage in cynical virtue signalling was given greater weight by a conflicted assessment panel than the fundamental freedoms of an individual.

I have no doubt that the courts, who are less conflicted, and will consider a wider picture, will find in Folau's favour.

Emily Davison

Folau excluded himself. Nobody else. He decided to bring in religion to this, when he was warned that he must project the image Rugby wishes him to, as part of his contract/code of conduct.

He could quite easily have got his lawyers to put a clause in his contract as follows:

As a true believe in the bible, nothing in this agreement will prevent me from spouting my opinion of what the bible means as regards gay people on the internet.

owedtojoy

No real surprise about the outcome here but it is sad from my perspective also, for same reasons and of course, I have additional reasons to be sad about it.

You show some level of compassion (i do not mean necessarily for Folau but you can see that a
trade-off has been made and it is not win-win). That is a good thing, I think.

Do you feel any compassion for Folau as a matter of interest ?
Yes, I do.

A man who might have been counted among the Greatest of Them All has probably wasted a magnificent talent, for nothing. So pointless. In the end, neither religion nor rugby were served.

When Folou is older and realises what might have been, I think he will have bitter regrets.

But at least a line has been drawn in the sand for the future.

riven

As a true believe in the bible, nothing in this agreement will prevent me from spouting my opinion of what the bible means as regards gay people on the internet
But he couldn't because if if that is written in the Bible, it is not his place to judge.

The fact that he is considered his options means this was never about religion but about money, and greed.

Hillmanhunter1

[QUOTE="owedtojoy, post: 12660745, member: 22535"
A man who might have been counted among the Greatest of Them All has probably wasted a magnificent talent, for nothing. So pointless.
[/QUOTE]

They said exactly the same about Muhammad Ali, but he would not bend.

Now considered to be one of the most admired people of the 20th Century.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies