Issues with Formatting / BBCodes in Editor

Baron von Biffo

Recently I've noticed a glitch in the editor. If I select a block of text and apply one of the formatting options the effect is not confined to the selected text but is applied to all subsequent text in the editor.

Editor_glitch_1.png

Editor_glitch_2.png

If I then click the formatting button again to reverse the action, the effect is limited to the selected text.

Editor_glitch_3.png

I've only noticed this behaviour since the recent update, which is not to say that it didn't exist prior to that.

Attachments

Tech Support

Administrator
Recently I've noticed a glitch in the editor. If I select a block of text and apply one of the formatting options the effect is not confined to the selected text but is applied to all subsequent text in the editor.
Yes, this is a known bug in Xenforo version 2.1.3 and it has already been fixed in the next release, 2.1.4.

However, we don't have a date for that release yet.

In the meantime, the workaround is to click the little green "gears" icon in the editor toolbar to go into "source mode" and then fix the formatting manually.

I will double check to see if a patch has been released in the meantime but I'm not aware of one at this time.

Tech Support

Administrator
On further researching the issue, I found two things:

1. the issue is actually caused by the Froala editor used in Xenforo rather than by Xenforo itself (the reporter there is one of the main Xenforo coders):

2. The issue seems specific to Firefox and can be resolved by switching to Chrome, Safari, or the new Chrome-based Edge. I suspect that is not a real option for most Firefox users.

3. The next release of Xenforo is expected in August and is expected to include a workaround for the Froala problem until Froala fixes their editor.

StarryPlough01

Chrome is owned by Google (say no more).

For Baron Von Biffo - here's a simple fix:

I did find a way around the bug where I underscore everything (or bold). I then highlight the text that doesn't need any emphasis and click the U button to delete the redundant underlining.
Edited to quote the workaround in this post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tech Support

Administrator
The next release of Xenforo is expected in August and is expected to include a workaround for the Froala problem until Froala fixes their editor.
The new release finally became available last week and has now been installed here at P.ie. This should fix the BBCode issues and several other bugs.

CatullusV

The new release finally became available last week and has now been installed here at P.ie. This should fix the BBCode issues and several other bugs.
The worst possible response from product support is "that will be fixed in the next release". The next release will inevitably introduce new bugs. Fixes should always be provided on demand as problems arise. 30 years of experience in the business.

Tech Support

Administrator
Personally, I agree with Xenforo's policy on this.

First, the error was caused by the open source Froala editor, not by Xenforo, and Froala delayed releasing the fix for their editor for a month or more.

Second, Xenforo tries to make sure any fix or patch doesn't introduce new cascading errors and to this end they test as much as they can before rolling out a new release.

Third, this was not a security issue but a functional issue which, while inconvenient, did have a workaround. Had it been a security issue, it would have been patched ASAP.

I'm not a Microsoft basher but they could learn a thing or two from Xenforo. How many times this year alone has Windows released a fix for one issue that broke things not broken before the fix?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies