It is decided - Merkel, Macron agree on eurozone budget -

Catalpast

France and Germany have agreed to set up a common budget for the eurozone, Chancellor Angela Merkel said Tuesday, announcing a key reform proposal to bolster the bloc.

How it would be funded was also up for discussion with other eurozone members, said Merkel, suggesting that it could involve regular transfers made by individual countries or a tax on financial transactions.
Merkel, Macron agree on eurozone budget - France 24

Discussion my eye!:roll:

They don't even go through the pretence of a disguise anymore

A Diktat will be issued

- and we will obey...:|

The tax on financial transactions poses clear dangers for Ireland

- how seriously can the Government pretend that we have any say or influence in the corridors of Power in the EU

- when we see such arrogant and dismissive behaviour by the two most powerful States in it?

Last edited:

GDPR

What s the problem with this?

What Budget do you want Ireland to set that it cant because of Brussels? In your own time, Failer.

Watcher2

France and Germany have agreed to set up a common budget for the eurozone, Chancellor Angela Merkel said Tuesday, announcing a key reform proposal to bolster the bloc.

How it would be funded was also up for discussion with other eurozone members, said Merkel, suggesting that it could involve regular transfers made by individual countries or a tax on financial transactions.

A Diktat will be issued

- how seriously can the Government pretend that we have any say or influence in the corridors of Power in the EU

- when we see such arrogant and dismissive behaviour by the two most powerful States in it?
Was it not always like this? Now that Britain is out of the way, the financial tax will sail through. Germany is the only other real financial centre in Europe, isn't it? Do many financial transactions happen in Ireland? I thought the IFSC was mainly back office stuff with the actual transactions they support in those back offices taking place in either London or Frankfurt. Brexit did not bring the windfall many predicted in this regard.

Catalpast

What s the problem with this?

What Budget do you want Ireland to set that it cant because of Brussels? In your own time, Failer.
Ireland does not set the EU budget - nor in Principle or theory does any one State or even two States

The European Union is supposedly based on co operation and consultation before any major decisions are reached

But increasingly the Central Powers decide the agenda

- and the others are expected to get in line...

This time though the Irish Government better wake up

- and not sleepwalk us into an economic disaster....

Come on Eagles - your not stupid - you know exactly what is going on here...

GDPR

Was it not always like this? Now that Britain is out of the way, the financial tax will sail through. Germany is the only other real financial centre in Europe, isn't it? Do many financial transactions happen in Ireland? I thought the IFSC was mainly back office stuff with the actual transactions they support in those back offices taking place in either London or Frankfurt. Brexit did not bring the windfall many predicted in this regard.
Depends on how you define them. And Ireland has dragged itself out of a bog by knowing exactly how to do so.

Whats your solution?

GDPR

Ireland does not set the EU budget - nor in Principle or theory does any one State or even two States

The European Union is supposedly based on co operation and consultation before any major decisions are reached

But increasingly the Central Powers decide the agenda

- and the others are expected to get in line...

This time though the Irish Government better wake up

- and not sleepwalk us into an economic disaster....

Come on Eagles - your not stupid - you know exactly what is going on here...
You are right, I am not stupid. I know what stupidity looks like though. You, for example.

olli rehn

A Diktat will be issued

That was on Tuesday.
Today is Sunday.
A week in politics....
Summit at the moment not going great. Things change by the minute...

Watcher2

Well if you cant even frame the question.
You're a bit mad. I made a comment. I don't know what question you think is required or that I should have framed.

Maybe if you actually thought about what is jumbled up in your head for a second and organise it, you might be able to engage properly with other people in the world.

Take a breath. Its usually the best pace to start anyway.

Catalpast

With Britain - wisely IMO getting out - we will be more exposed than ever

However our politicians are pussies

And with Mr Pussy in the hot seat

- he will doing everything to avoid upsetting the Masters of the Household,.....

PBP voter

The Euro can't work long term without greater economic intergration.
It will have to become a United States of Europe for it to work.
The long term choice for the smaller countries is the Euro or economic sovereignty.

Catalpast

You are right, I am not stupid. I know what stupidity looks like though. You, for example.
Its still bright outside - I suggest you go for a good long walk in the hills and clear your head

- and go easy on the Gin for the rest of night....

Watcher2

With Britain - wisely IMO getting out - we will be more exposed than ever

However our politicians are pussies

And with Mr Pussy in the hot seat

- he will doing everything to avoid upsetting the Masters of the Household,.....

Exposed to what though? As mentioned already, the transactions tend not to take place here so I'm not sure what exposure you think we have. Or perhaps I misunderstand what goes on down in the IFSC. What percentage of the (to be) subjected financial transactions occur in Ireland, or affects what goes on in Ireland, when this tax is imposed?

olli rehn

The Euro can't work long term without greater economic intergration.
It will have to become a United States of Europe for it to work.
The long term choice for the smaller countries is the Euro or economic sovereignty.
There is no economic sovereignity anymore.
So it is the Euro.

GDPR

Its still bright outside - I suggest you go for a good long walk in the hills and clear your head

- and go easy on the Gin for the rest of night....
Nah think I will hang around to see you post pix of cats while arguing that Merkel and Macron are depriving Ireland of its fundamental rights.

Its wrong of me, but I cant help rubber-necking. :D

Catalpast

Exposed to what though? As mentioned already, the transactions tend not to take place here so I'm not sure what exposure you think we have. Or perhaps I misunderstand what goes on down in the IFSC. What percentage of the (to be) subjected financial transactions occur in Ireland, or affects what goes on in Ireland, when this tax is imposed?
Hundreds of thousands of financial transactions here every day

If you bought a Pizza or an ice cream today that is a financial transaction

I don't know how this will be done

- but the point is it has already been decided to do it

- whether we like it or not....

This is totally Undemocratic

At least the Brits will now be much less likely to settle for anything less than the Full British Brexit

- while we take the Soup....

gijoe

Eirexit is getting less fanciful by the month. Although no matter as the usual talking heads on RTE will not see it until it clobbers them over the head.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies