It is when Paddy Hill reenacts the violence of the police that he is most alarming.

arcadeparade

Can the Irish state do something to help this man? Obviously the British state doesnt care.

Paddy Hill: 'All I think about is shooting police. I am traumatised' | Law | The Guardian

Paddy Hill: 'All I think about is shooting police. I am traumatised'

It has been 18 years since Paddy Hill's conviction for the Birmingham bombing was overturned and he has yet to receive any proper counselling. And the trauma is just getting worse and worse
It is when Paddy Hill reenacts the violence of the police – who tried to force him to confess to one of the most deadly terrorist bombings in Britain – that he is most alarming.

Looming over me in his cluttered, pet-filled Scottish farmhouse, Hill thrusts his face into mine and grips my knees in a vice-like grip. Contorting his face in simulated fury, he shrieks the obscenities that were hurled at him during the police interrogation, the day after 21 people were killed and 162 others injured in the 1974 Birmingham bombings.

"They jammed a pistol in my mouth and smashed it around, breaking my teeth so badly it was agony to even have a sip of water until I finally saw a dentist, two weeks later. They told me they knew I was innocent but that they didn't care: they had been told to get a conviction and that if I didn't admit to the bombing, they would shoot me in the mouth. They slowly counted to three, then pulled the trigger. They did that three times. Each time, I thought I was going to die," says Hill, pulling up his lip to show his toothless upper gum before rolling down his trouser leg to reveal scars and cigarette burns he says were meted out to him later by the same policemen.

It is tempting to assume that, since his release almost 20 years ago, Hill, now aged 64, must have slowly recovered not only from the inquisition – which left him so battered that his two-year-old son needed medication to recover from the shock of seeing him afterwards – but also from the hell of the 16 years of wrongful imprisonment that followed.

The six innocent men were, after all, later awarded compensation ranging from £840,000 to £1.2m. Surely they were also given counselling? Surely they were not just left to cope with their fury, trauma and wasted decades?

But they were. In the 20 years that followed his release on 14 March 1991, Hill has had to fight for help; a battle he has, until now, failed to win.
The article continues here:

Paddy Hill: 'All I think about is shooting police. I am traumatised' | Law | The Guardian

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies