• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

It seems we are destined never to learn - Head shop ban ineffective

EoinMag

So how's that ban on head shop drugs going then?

I wonder if "children" are still getting their hands on it in the same numbers as when it was available in shops with somewhat acccountable shop keepers?

Trade in banned head shop drugs grows via postal system - The Irish Times - Mon, Oct 22, 2012

Ah no, it appears that prices have increased and now there's no semblance on the control and distribution of the drugs, to the extent that a new one has emerged which has been killing people for a while now, in the form of PMMA.

It killed a few at the Swedish House Mafia gig and then those two lads in Waterford, I can't see this having been sold through the head shops as they were.

Another facet of failed drug policies exposed...we will never learn.

goosebump

Why not choose a thread title that actually describes what the thread is about?

Bonkers, I know, but you should try it some time.

B

Boggle

So how's that ban on head shop drugs going then?

I wonder if "children" are still getting their hands on it in the same numbers as when it was available in shops with somewhat acccountable shop keepers?

Trade in banned head shop drugs grows via postal system - The Irish Times - Mon, Oct 22, 2012

Ah no, it appears that prices have increased and now there's no semblance on the control and distribution of the drugs, to the extent that a new one has emerged which has been killing people for a while now, in the form of PMMA.

It killed a few at the Swedish House Mafia gig and then those two lads in Waterford, I can't see this having been sold through the head shops as they were.

Another facet of failed drug policies exposed...we will never learn.
It's basically what people said would happen though to be honest, the old system where they were sold as bath salts was dodgy as hell and it is just as possible that this ?PMMA? drug would have been sold through the headshops.

We need a system where these things are sold through offlicences or some other fit-for-purpose system and which ensures that these things are at least reasonably safe and consistent. Either that or get people to finally stop taking drugs and we'd have to include alcohol in that as it's one of the worst going.

EoinMag

It's basically what people said would happen though to be honest, the old system where they were sold as bath salts was dodgy as hell and it is just as possible that this ?PMMA? drug would have been sold through the headshops.

We need a system where these things are sold through offlicences or some other fit-for-purpose system and which ensures that these things are at least reasonably safe and consistent. Either that or get people to finally stop taking drugs and we'd have to include alcohol in that as it's one of the worst going.

Well you're preaching to the converted here, I knew what would happen and thought the ban was a massively retrograde step.

I don't think PMMA would have made it through the shops, or at least it wouldn't have killed so many, I think it's telling that it's a drug that is sold post shop ban.

Control rather than an outright ban was the way to go.

B

Boggle

Ever think of a move to Saudi Arabia?
We live in an information age. Do you really expect people to obey drug laws when alcohol, undeniably one of the worst of them all, is legal?
They'll just turn around and say if it's alright for you to get your drug of choice then why can't they have their's?

We need to be adults about it and treat drugs based on their merits, not on legacy issues, and either ban them all or allow the sale of those which are deemed reasonably safe. Either way we cannot be hypocrites as it will just undermine whatever we are trying to do.

Ribeye

B

Boggle

Well you're preaching to the converted here, I knew what would happen and thought the ban was a massively retrograde step.

I don't think PMMA would have made it through the shops, or at least it wouldn't have killed so many, I think it's telling that it's a drug that is sold post shop ban.

Control rather than an outright ban was the way to go.
That I certainly agree with but that control would have had to include rigorous testing and liability and they would have had to be sold as what they were rather than bath salts.

The whole bath salts thing creeps me out tbh and I feel old when it comes to them as I was out of that stage when they came on the scene. It's worrying in a way... I always thought when it came to drugs and my kids that I'd be able to talk with authority but these designer drugs are something I haven't a clue about.

TheMushyStuff

Well you could change the title of the thread. We have never learned on a number of things so this isn't anything new.

Put a ban on drugs or not they still will flow.

borntorum

From the latest article:

“Drug dealers can buy this stuff online and if they get it into the country they can sell it for a multiple of what they paid for it,” said one source. “Because it’s now illegal people who are buying it seem to have accepted that it’s going to be more expensive. And for the drug dealers it is much easier to source than something like heroin or cocaine, which obviously you can’t buy on a website.”
This is not a surprise to anyone who has any basic level of common sense. When head shops were still legal, the Nirvana shop on Capel St was firebombed by criminals who were presumably upset at how the legal trade was cutting into its business. Of course no politician or media talking head drew attention to this, instead pretending that by banning the shops nobody would take drugs

eoghanacht

EoinMag

Sure you are not, bit upset that the Headdies were shut down and the schoolkids couldn't be exploited eh?

Don't use my taxes to re-habilitate yourself after popping your tabs buddy.

that's my message

M'kay

Don't put words in my mouth clownboy, if you had any sense you'd see that the situation has deteriorated and the chances of a schoolkid getting their hands on the stuff is higher than previously.

I was in Nirvana a few times and each time I saw young people being challenged and turned away when they attempted to buy stuff. I'm sure the dealers are not so scrupulous.

EUrJokingMeRight

Some of us learn pal, don't take hallucinatory drugs.

Simple as that.
Voting is the same as taking hallucinatory drugs.

It is in Ireland anyway.

People who voted for 'Labours way' or 'Yes to Jobs' must think they are hallucinating by now surely!!

shiel

Voting is the same as taking hallucinatory drugs.

It is in Ireland anyway.

People who voted for 'Labours way' or 'Yes to Jobs' must think they are hallucinating by now surely!!
Voting is what you do in a democracy. You do not have a vote in a totalitarian state.

Taking hallucinatory drugs is what you do when you want to become addicted. Not exactly the same.

B

Boggle

Voting is what you do in a democracy. You do not have a vote in a totalitarian state.

Taking hallucinatory drugs is what you do when you want to become addicted. Not exactly the same.
I know your not exactly being serious but that statement is just silly. Even I know that you take hallucinatory drugs to have fun, not to get addicted.

Nobody wants to get addicted to anything, I didn't even want to get addicted to fags when I started smoking - even though I knew it would happen, I thought that I'd stop before that happened. I only enjoyed a fag with a drink... Oops.

EoinMag

It's a shame that there is a puritanical idea about that states can't be seen to countenance substances that can potentially cause addiction. They already take taxes on nicotine and alcohol, and having extensive experience I can say that nicotine is one of THE most addictive drugs out there, it's hypocritical and not in any way evidence based.

B

Boggle

No puritanical idea, my friend.

Personally I couldn't give jack Schiddte if you pop every tab and substance known to mankind.

Just don't be wasting my taxes in the A&E dude.
On the bright side, the unhealthier you are, it appears, the cheaper you are as you die before becoming old enough to cost the state loads of money.