• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

It was "Blackie" Obama wot done for Whitey Bulger.

timhorgan

The Boston Herald is reporting that Whitey Bulger drew attention to himself by expressing very strong racist anti-Obama views. It would be fair to say that some Irish communities in the US were hardly the most liberal in matters of race. South Boston was no doubt one and Obama alluded to being positioned at the end of the St. Patricks Day parade in Chicago when he spoke in Dublin.

Interesting story-

Book: Whitey

Whitey’s rage at black prez led to his capture

Can Whitey Bulger blame his own raging case of Obama Derangement Syndrome rather than a tabby cat for his 2011 capture?

That’s the suggestion in a bombshell new biography, “Whitey: The Life of America’s Most Notorious Mob Boss,” by veteran Boston reporters Dick Lehr and Gerard O’Neill.

When Whitey and moll Catherine Greig had been living in Santa Monica, Calif., as “Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Gasko,” Greig became close to Icelandic model Anna Bjornsdottir, bonding over the care of a stray cat. Whitey often joined them outside their apartment building.

But, Lehr and O’Neill write, Bjornsdottir and Whitey never spoke again after she “unabashedly” expressed admiration for the first black president.

“He practically exploded … disgusted that she could admire a black man as president ... Nothing was the same after. Whitey gave Anna the cold shoulder, would not even respond when she said hello to him. Anna Bjornsdottir, meanwhile, would not forget the old man’s sudden rage — or his angry, cold glare.”

In June 2011, watching a story on CNN, Bjornsdottir recognized the fugitive as her rabid racist neighbor. He was captured days later.

Aristodemus

Any Irish people I know who have lived and worked in America have views that would make your average klansman blanch.

TheOtherRiverR(h)ine

Any Irish people I know who have lived and worked in America have views that would make your average klansman blanch.
+1

That goes for my mom's aunt in New York. She had it in for the jews as well, which was really odd from my mom's point of view. Only exception are the asians, whom she admires for their supposed hard work ethic.

timhorgan

Blanch - great choice of word. :roll:

Astral Peaks

There are exceptions, but having lived there for many years I can say that by and large the deep seated and virulent racism of the Irish is a sight to behold.

eoghanacht

I would have thought it was all the murders and crime he committed.

L

longshortgrass

There are exceptions, but having lived there for many years I can say that by and large the deep seated and virulent racism of the Irish is a sight to behold.
Probably went back to the days when job signs in Boston stated "Irish and Blacks need not apply", in that order.

Payback time...the Irish always get the wrong man...

stopdoingstuff

I blame the corrupting influence of Jazz. They say he was ok until he heard his first Charlie Parker record and it was all down hill from there. By the time Miles Davis has gone all fusion, there was no turning back.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
I had an American uncle who despised the Kennedys for opening up the American borders to a flood of Asian migrants and diluting the position of the Irish!

It made us laugh anyway!

Little_Korean

When Whitey and moll Catherine Greig had been living in Santa Monica, Calif., as “Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Gasko,” Greig became close to Icelandic model Anna Bjornsdottir, bonding over the care of a stray cat.
Awwwwww...

eoghanacht

Recent book said Joe detested the Irish.
You would have gotten on well with him.

I'd say you nearly wet yerself when you seen the thread.

Astral Peaks

Ooooh, a Black Pope will open their eyes to the evils of racism!
Worse, if Susan McKay has her way, it will be a black, lesbian pope who sings the blues.

Wait a minute, how would that be a bad thing?