Italys upcoming vote on leaving the EU. Brexit was one thing but Quitaly could spell disaster......

EUrJokingMeRight

I'm not writing an OP. I could.....but surely RTE and the Irish Times etc have kept you all in the loop. But, as we all know the IMF were never in town until RTE said so. :p

You should consult the 'paper of record' and the State funded TV channel RTE for further advice. After all you're probably paying for that service anyway.

Potentially big moves afoot. Upcoming vote in Italy. What way will it go?

According to RTE etc the UK would never vote to leave the EU, Hillary was DEFINITELY going to be president of the USA and.......well there hasn't been much noise about the upcoming 'Italian job' in Ireland and it's potentially bad economic outcome for the EU and its favourite little prize beeyatch, that's Ireland btw, either.

If Italy votes to leave the EU will Ireland be the last one standing if the financial musical chairs game comes to a grinding halt?

Disclaimer: This is not financial advice. Do your own research and act accordingly!

silverharp

Italy isn't voting to leave the EU?

EUrJokingMeRight

Italy isn't voting to leave the EU?
Shifting power from central government to regional governments will only end one way. Italy leaving the EU.

That's because most Italians have suffered huge loss of wealth, we wont even mention the migrant issue there, due to EU membership and central governance.

It's not a Brexit vote but ultimately it's Quitaly.

Strawberry

Italy isn't voting to leave the EU. The problem with Italy is if the government falls after this referendum, (the PM has threatened to resign if the result doesn't go his way), it could precipitate a banking crisis. If the government doesn't fall, the banking crisis will be delayed, but either way there are about eight Italian banks teetering on the edge of collapse which could precipitate a crisis in the Eurozone.

The most serious consequence which could follow is the fall of the euro, more likely Italy will crash out of it and go back to the lira. However, contrary to the fantasies of UKIP fans, the EU itself is not in danger, at most the single currency is.

Truth.ie

I visited Italy in 1980.
Homogenous community, low crime, a sense of national identity, own currency. A really nice vibe to the place.
I probably wouldn't recognise the place now.

Notachipanoaktree

I visited Italy in 1980.
Homogenous community, low crime, a sense of national identity, own currency. A really nice vibe to the place.
Ye wouldn't even notice the Mafia or the corruption. Either then or now!

EUrJokingMeRight

Italy isn't voting to leave the EU. The problem with Italy is if the government falls after this referendum, (the PM has threatened to resign if the result doesn't go his way), it could precipitate a banking crisis. If the government doesn't fall, the banking crisis will be delayed, but either way there are about eight Italian banks teetering on the edge of collapse which could precipitate a crisis in the Eurozone.

The most serious consequence which could follow is the fall of the euro, more likely Italy will crash out of it and go back to the lira. However, contrary to the fantasies of UKIP fans, the EU itself is not in danger, at most the single currency is.
The Euro is the manifestation of the EU in every practical sense.

I'm very much in favour of a shared economic area where sovereign states set their own interest rates and have their own currency.

Strawberry

I'm very much in favour of a shared economic area where sovereign states set their own interest rates and have their own currency.
Maybe you should consider moving to Italy then because I think they might well be about to crash out of the Eurozone, although there's no popular wish there to leave the entire EU. The only party which wants to leave the EU is Forza Italia and they don't get many votes.

silverharp

the last arrow the ECB has is to create Euro bonds that will put Germany on the hook and of course the Germans don't want this yet

Truth.ie

Ye wouldn't even notice the Mafia or the corruption. Either then or now!
No, I didnt notice the mafia or the corruption.
I was referring to the quality of life. Security, sense of community, national identity.
The important things in life.
The world ain't perfect.

I visited Italy in 1980.
You would.

Truth.ie

Maybe you should consider moving to Italy then because I think they might well be about to crash out of the Eurozone, although there's no popular wish there to leave the entire EU. The only party which wants to leave the EU is Forza Italia and they don't get many votes.
A party's stated position on the EU is not a barometer of public opinion.
The official line from both the British Labour and Tory party was to vote Remain, but huges swathes of Tory and Labour heartlands voted for Brexit.
Likewise in Spain, only 30% of Podemos members want to remain in the EU, contradicting the part line.

EUrJokingMeRight

I'm not moving anywhere sunshine but I'll gladly drive you to your departure point so and you'll be in Berlin before you know it. There is a huge wish to leave the EU in Italy btw.

Truth.ie

I'm not moving anywhere sunshine but I'll gladly drive you to your departure point so and you'll be in Berlin before you know it. There is a huge wish to leave the EU in Italy btw.
Agreed. I would say they are at the "sleeping on the sofa" stage to use a marital analogy..

Strawberry

Is there? Have you any links to opinion polls showing that?

Windowshopper

Zoo. The OP has no basis in reality.

We have had too monumentally stupid threads over the past two days this, and 'are homeless people the gensis of a new ethic[sic.] group'. Not sure which is worse.

Windowshopper

I visited Italy in 1980.
I visited a country for a week once so I have a good grasp on the political situation there furthermore I think its changed for the worse even though I haven't being there since.

Unbelievable.

New Threads

Most Replies