• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

It's a Friday....so, a Friday thread! Man on Liveline is having a right rant about Irish people!

ShoutingIsLeadership

Terence is having a right go about the expectations of Irish people. He's a delivery man and says the attitude of customers stinks.

He's very entertaining :)

His lovely English accent makes his complaints about the Irish all the more effective.

Have a listen :)

ShoutingIsLeadership

He says when he moved here 6 years ago, he found the Irish lovely, but things have changed...

ShoutingIsLeadership

He says the country has changed so much in the last 18 months. He says the people are fighting among themselves.

B

Boggle

He says the country has changed so much in the last 18 months. He says the people are fighting among themselves.
Is he not, at least in part, right about this?

I know it's easy to dismiss this as a rant but (and this is simply my observations) does it not seem as though something has changed? There is a nastiness about some people lately. I could guess a few reasons why but you wonder if it's a symptom of a serious breakdown in society.

The kind of breakdown that comes about when people see peopl like INM (worse, businesses) getting massive write-downs while they are left to die under the stress of their debts. The kind that sees the wealthy live off caviar while the rest of us are left to fight amongst ourselves for the scraps under the table.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Is he not, at least in part, right about this?

I know it's easy to dismiss this as a rant but (and this is simply my observations) does it not seem as though something has changed? There is a nastiness about some people lately. I could guess a few reasons why but you wonder if it's a symptom of a serious breakdown in society.

The kind of breakdown that comes about when people see peopl like INM (worse, businesses) getting massive write-downs while they are left to die under the stress of their debts. The kind that sees the wealthy live off caviar while the rest of us are left to fight amongst ourselves for the scraps under the table.
I wasn't saying he was wrong, you stupid f*** :)

He's right, the country is very angry and divided. Public v Private, Renters v Mortgagees, etc.

John Rutledge

I think that there is something of a real problem behind this. With all the cheesparing of the last few years, there has been an understandable decline in standards of service in some areas like domestic deliveries and repair services that will provoke irritation from customers. However - and I really, really hate to say this - there does appear to be a slight difficulty between Irish and at least some English people in interacting in situations of mild conflict. I recently found my blood boiling at an incident in an open car park, where I was directed to a potentially "blockable" space by an attendant. When I explained that I needed to leave the event in question early, the response was (incredibly, in a field of slippery grass) to jump in front of my car and (in a classic "wotcher ****", Dell Boy accent) a repeated statement that "everyone wants to leave early, mate". I must admit to having indulged in an intemperate exchange of views. After that, I went where I was told - and moved to a more suitable (and equally non-obstructive) space when "Wotcher, ****" had moved off. Not proud of myself about my verbal contribution, at least - but I have an uncomfortable feeling that this reflects something visceral between "Us" and "Them". By the way - what in the name of the Gods are Irish events doing, using parking attendants (even supervisors) obviously imported from the "mainland" ? Have we become so reliant on foreign rejects that we cannot even manage "lock hard" any more ? My rant of the day, JR.

Last edited:
B

Boggle

I wasn't saying he was wrong, you stupid f*** :)

He's right, the country is very angry and divided. Public v Private, Renters v Mortgagees, etc.
Thats it numbnuts... You and me.... We're done!
I'll burn your wheelie bin and neuter your cat you son-of-a-probably-very-nice-person!
:)

Heligoland

Just while you're listening to Joe Duffy- can you explain the financial set up of the show?

The ads are for fairly low rent stuff, plays at the Tivoli and so on, or else they are for other shows on RTE.

So how can this pay for the costs of the programme?

That's about seven and a half grand a week, or about 1,500 euro per day.

I can't beleve they are making any where near that on advertising.

Could they be?

Eire1976

Just while you're listening to Joe Duffy- can you explain the financial set up of the show?

The ads are for fairly low rent stuff, plays at the Tivoli and so on, or else they are for other shows on RTE.

Could they be?
They don't care about that, the bill for listening to it will be in your letterbox next Week under new plans.

Heligoland

By the way - what in the name of the Gods are Irish events doing, using parking attendants (even supervisors) obviously imported from the "mainland" ? Have we become so reliant on foreign rejects that we cannot even manage "lock hard" any more ?

What is the lowest status job that you think an English person should be doing?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Could they be?
Speaking of sh1t ads, has anybody heard that radio ad for Barry Gibb's solo gig, in September?

John Rutledge

Even if there was no advertising, the programme - with all its "controversy" and hot air - is publicity gold for RTE. Remember - this was the domain of PBU M. Finucane not all that long ago ... JR.

ManInTheArena

Could they be?
They should make the phone line a premium number, that way, not only would it help to pay for the show, but you'd get only the really dedicated, top-end whingers ringing in, which would be more amusing and therefore help grow the audience.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
We could always try an English Taoiseach, I mean the last few Irish one's were pretty dismal and crooked and drunk and spineless.

B

Boggle

Could they be?
Advertising makes some money. We should put a levy on it.

After all, it is far more damaging than cigarettes/alcohol as it puts mental pressures on people and can be used to subtly influence people into a position where they are at risk. Nobody would have bought a snackbox home for 300k only they were bombarded with all forms of advertising.

Levy it. It's always the state left to carry the can so we might aswell have a bit more of the pie.

John Rutledge

Hardly to the point, Heilgoland. More relevant might be the question as to whether, in our current employment crisis, somebody requiring car park attendants should be able to find willing applicants locally ? Best regards, JR.