It's not cuts the markets want to see - it's a sound basis for being productive.

roc_

It's not cuts the markets want to see - it's a sound basis for doing business and being productive.

That includes an 'establishment' that is not going to hurl a good deal of any money we borrow into trying to prop up our property market and the 'bets' made on it.

Or use it to continue paying exorbitant salaries to the quango classes and other sectors with delusions of entitlement.

Or use it to continue distorting the market by frittering it away on lucrative contracts, tax breaks, and subsidies for the exact same people who have proved that they are incapable of generating sustainable profits and businesses! (and not forgetting the same muppets are now popping up parroting new political-business mantras)

Or who will use the borrowings to continue perpetrating gombeenism of all hues...

... No - they want to see an establishment that is prepared to throw their gombeens and their erstwhile cronies to the wolves, rather than throw their real productive citizens to the wolves.

Is this not obvious to one and all - why are the opposition parties not mentioning this aspect of things in the dail at all?

Kevin Doyle

It's not cuts the markets want to see - it's a sound basis for doing business and being productive.

That includes an 'establishment' that is not going to hurl a good deal of any money we borrow into trying to prop up our property market and the 'bets' made on it.

Or use it to continue paying exorbitant salaries to the quango classes and other sectors with delusions of entitlement.

Or use it to continue distorting the market by frittering it away on lucrative contracts, tax breaks, and subsidies for the exact same people who have proved that they are incapable of generating sustainable profits and businesses! (and not forgetting the same muppets are now popping up parroting new political-business mantras)

Or who will use the borrowings to continue perpetrating gombeenism of all hues...

... No - they want to see an establishment that is prepared to throw their gombeens and their erstwhile cronies to the wolves, rather than throw their real productive citizens to the wolves.

Is this not obvious to one and all - why are the opposition parties not mentioning this aspect of things in the dail at all?
One would suspect its because Fine Geal are really Fianna Fail seperated only by an argument over a treaty 90 yrs ago.

It is but those who receive pay / salary / subsidy from the state want someone else to pay.

Kevin Doyle

It is but those who receive pay / salary / subsidy from the state want someone else to pay.
What ever about the portion of the private sector thats heavily subsidised by the State, who else is supposed pay PS salaries?

roc_

There's nothing wrong with paying PS salaries as long as such salaries are commensurate with the work and the security of the position, and as long as the PS worker holds appropriate aspirations of public service, and works to the best of his or her ability to live up to those aspirations. For sure, large parts of our PS are like this - I'm thinking in particular of nurses and most teachers. But large swathes are otherwise - in particular, it would seem among politicians of all hues and the various ministries and departments and authorities they hold sway over.

Speedfreak

One would suspect its because Fine Geal are really Fianna Fail seperated only by an argument over a treaty 90 yrs ago.
Yep. Two sides of the same coin. :roll:

Speedfreak

Agreed. But we've seen what this side does (and personally I'd seen it before anyway). Let's see how the other side performs.
That's taking quite a risk. It would seem that the problem is the system or as Cael puts it, the oligarchy. If this is so, I don't see how "the other side" could subvert things.

leroy42

I think the OP has made a very good point. We don't need an election, we all know that whatever the outcome of the election the basic points will remain the same, 15bn in cuts/taxes, reduce to 3% by 2014 etc.

Like in most , if not all, democracies across the world, the problem lies in the fact that while we are allowed to vote for the TD's/Mp's/Presidents we want, the real power lies in the system behind these people, system that nobody seems to want, or is able to, change.

If an election was run tomorrow, apart for getting rid of the awful government, littel else would change. Not because the other parties wouldn't want to but rather because they can't. They are hamstrung by the state itself.

And we as the elctorate have very little power to change this. However, the upcoming by-election does give people a chance to at least make a protest. I don't have a vote there, but if I did, I would not vote for FF or Greens purely on the basis that they denied me my right to vote for so long, and even now continue to show nothing but contempt for the election. How can any FF candidate come looking for a vote, when his own party doesn't even believe that there should be a vote.

We all know, that many people will still vote for FF, and until we step outside our comfort zone, be prepared to take risks, then we the people will continue to get the system that is currently in place. Voting automatically for someones son becuase their daddy was the TD is indicative of how lazy and inept we are as a democracy.

The markets are looking for a fundamental change in the way Ireland Inc does it's business, but I still hear people more concerned about Endas lack of carisma rather than Cowens lack or any discerable ability. As long as we continue to focus on such trivial matters, while at the same time applauding ourselves at how mature we are as voters, we will continue to suffer the same fate.

The Celtic tigers years were a once off chance for Ireland to step away from our proverty and become a strong nation in our own right. We have thrown away that oppurtunity, and until people realise that we need to funtamentally change the system we have little hope for the future.

We need to rip it all up and start again. So much of our country does not work as it should.

Last edited:

New Threads

Most Replies