• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Ivan Yates joins Newstalk Breakfast Show for 3 months

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
After all the speculation, it turns out that Ivan is indeed joining Newstalk to replace Ger Gilroy on the Breakfast Show. At the very end of Friday's programme, Ger said a quick goodbye, and this morning Ivan was welcomed on board.

It seems Ger is becoming a 'senior editor' at the station, and he will be returning to the airwaves on Friday night's Off the Ball.

Ivan is joining the show for 3 months.

DeathKnell

Story with Gilroy and the blonde.. Could they not stand each other or wha?

Yates is ok... I have to say that Gilroys style grew on me as I listened.

asset test

About time too, that show was going down the pan very quickly. Although I think Claire Byrne should have been replaced.

Both of that team have a lot to offer. GG very good sports journo, glad to hear he's going back in that direction. CB mmm....

DerekOwens

+1. Chemistry with a colleague is an intangible and unpredictable thing! Hopefully GG will be able to show off his abilities in his new role.

Victor Meldrew

Despite it being on before my morning coffee I've noticed the "lack of chemistry". Hope Ivan is a bit better.

Mission Rock

Newstalk's breakfast show is extremely flawed, but I don't think Ger Gilroy was necessarily the problem. I'm not that fond of him but he was definitely better than Claire Byrne. My main problem with the show is the lack of content. A huge chunk of it is reading out texts from any oul eejit, and the amount of repetition is phenomenal.

I've no idea why anyone thinks this will improve the show. Ivan Yates has sounded like a complete amateur on the many occasions when he has stood in for George Hook. Also, surely it can't be good for someone even more obviously biased than Tubridy in favour of one of the major parties to be anchoring a news show?

kvof

This is great news. Should keep Ivan Yates busy so he won't substituting for George Hook so often. It will ensure that I certainly won't be listening to Newstalk in the morning. A combination of Morning Ireland and BBC's Today Programme is so much better.

Newstalk would have done better to get Brendan O'Brien, as his Saturday morning programme is excellent.

asset test

B o'B's show is great I agree. But it was cut by 30 minutes for Orla Barry and then the Emergency.
It would have been far better to cut Orla's show not B's, he is very good at what he does.
Is he the same fella who doorstepped Martin Cahill in the street yonks ago? That was brilliant.

kvof

B o'B's show is great I agree. But it was cut by 30 minutes for Orla Barry and then the Emergency.
It would have been far better to cut Orla's show not B's, he is very good at what he does.
Is he the same fella who doorstepped Martin Cahill in the street yonks ago? That was brilliant.
Yes it's the same guy who introduced us to Martin Cahill on RTE.

Mel Brown

This is bad news, now there is no chance of Ivan getting his finger out and actually pricing up the June 5th elections himself instead of cogging Paddy Power's odds

Neamhspleach

Yates is extremely affable and articulate, Ger will be missed, his sports journo detail should be lauded...kudos to him in whatever post he lands

badboy2

It certainly nails the story that he is too busy with his business to consider a return to politics.

3 months of profile and he would walk back into the Dail - or maybe the Aras....

McDave

It certainly nails the story that he is too busy with his business to consider a return to politics.

3 months of profile and he would walk back into the Dail - or maybe the Aras....
A bookie as President? I doubt it!

Actually, I heard IY this morning and he sounded to me like he'd been coached to sound like George Hook. This 3 month thing. Are they planning to move GH to the Breakfast Show (he'd be great with Claire Byrne) and grooming Yates to take over in the afternoon? I wonder.

uriah

Listened to part of the Newstalk's Breakfast show this morning.

Their 'political Discussion' (John McGuinness, Alex White, John Drennan) slot was at its usual 'cut the public sector pay, it's all their fault' rant. Those nurses, teachers and gardaí are responsible for the closing of the nursing homes, prescription charges and all the other cuts, you know.

These wonderfully wise men with host Ivan and eager to please Chris, spoke about 'the elephant in the room' (The Croke Park Agreement, of course!) which should be torn up. Cut the pay of all those lazy, overpaid public sector workers! That'll fix everything.

Not one of the brave concerned, public-spirited, guests mentioned the big elephant right in their midst - the €74,000 public service pension being paid to the 52 year old Ivan.

How many public sector workers, at the top of their pay scale and still working full-time, earn anywhere near as much as Ivan Yates gets in pension at age 52 having served for less than 20 years?

Shhhhh! Don't mention those little details when you serious men are having that serious political discussion on morning radio.

McDave

After all the speculation, it turns out that Ivan is indeed joining Newstalk to replace Ger Gilroy on the Breakfast Show. At the very end of Friday's programme, Ger said a quick goodbye, and this morning Ivan was welcomed on board.

It seems Ger is becoming a 'senior editor' at the station, and he will be returning to the airwaves on Friday night's Off the Ball.

Ivan is joining the show for 3 months.
Jeepers. Has it been 30 months already?

I've waxed and waned on Yates, but have ultimately given up on him over the last 6 months for the persistent handbagging of Chris Donoghue and a generally superficial approach to interviews and the lamentable 'review' of the papers.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies