• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Ivan Yates on Saturday Show

LeDroit

He fudged whether he'd return to politics but he made about the best stab at describing what we actually need to do to get out of this hole and was brave in saying the medicine is unpalatable but needed. He even said he'd prefer the IMF to our current crop of politicians. The more I saw of him the more I lamented his loss to the system. The greatest Taoiseach we never had. And just the Taoiseach we need now. :(

Tomas Mor

This guy left the ship but now has all the answers. Audience gave him a hard time about drawing big state pensions while having a string of bookie shops some of which have closed, and also a good salary from NT and Examiner. I am suspicious of likes of him who leaves the wheelhouse and then complains.

Radix

He fudged whether he'd return to politics but he made about the best stab at describing what we actually need to do to get out of this hole and was brave in saying the medicine is unpalatable but needed. He even said he'd prefer the IMF to our current crop of politicians. The more I saw of him the more I lamented his loss to the system. The greatest Taoiseach we never had. And just the Taoiseach we need now. :(
But sure he's just like the greatest Taoiseach we ever had.

Makes his money from the gambling of other people!

firefly123

Did not like the way fathead tried to score points over his pension. In fairness yeats has always said it was wrong he gets a pension before pension age. I am not surprised but i think it is wrong for the host of a show to just dismiss labour like fathead did. Surely he should remain somewhat neutral even if we all know where he stands(in ff's pocket).

LeDroit

But sure he's just like the greatest Taoiseach we ever had.

Makes his money from the gambling of other people!
True. What we need now is another school teacher.

LeDroit

Did not like the way fathead tried to score points over his pension. In fairness yeats has always said it was wrong he gets a pension before pension age. I am not surprised but i think it is wrong for the host of a show to just dismiss labour like fathead did. Surely he should remain somewhat neutral even if we all know where he stands(in ff's pocket).
We're not all in a union firebug. Only you have something to gain from electing a union leader to the Taoiseach's office. The rest of us just get to pay for it.

punchdrunk

O'Connor instigated another Enda Kenny bashing. From tonights show it is obvious how the Sindo will cover the next general election. O'Connor more or less said that Labour had no policies and that FG with Kenny as leader could not solve our problems. So O'Connor with others in Fianna Fail on Sunday will argue that there is no alternative to FF.
Interestingly O'Connor failed to ask Yates for his opinions on individual FF Ministers or Cowen.
No discussion from O'Connor on the fact that the party which he has strongly defended in the Sindo has wrecked the economy.
Why doesn't O Connor stand for election for Fianna Failure if he is convinced that Fianna Failure has all the answers?
The opposition needs to take on smart alecs like O'Connor.

firefly123

That's right ledroit when the communist revolution comes you will be first to be sent to the Leitrim gulag for reeducation! By the way my phones predictive text says ledroit is actually leering! Very interesting!

LeDroit

That's right ledroit when the communist revolution comes you will be first to be sent to the Leitrim gulag for reeducation! By the way my phones predictive text says ledroit is actually leering! Very interesting!
About the only policy Labour have espoused is higher taxes (currently 53%) on those earning over 100k. Why? So those getting paid from our €20Billion annual borrowings don't have to meet the real world. As I said, we just get to pay for Labour/Trade Union dystopia.

Tomas Mor

O'Connor instigated another Enda Kenny bashing. From tonights show it is obvious how the Sindo will cover the next general election. O'Connor more or less said that Labour had no policies and that FG with Kenny as leader could not solve our problems. So O'Connor with others in Fianna Fail on Sunday will argue that there is no alternative to FF.
Interestingly O'Connor failed to ask Yates for his opinions on individual FF Ministers or Cowen.
No discussion from O'Connor on the fact that the party which he has strongly defended in the Sindo has wrecked the economy.
Why doesn't O Connor stand for election for Fianna Failure if he is convinced that Fianna Failure has all the answers?
He did not ask about Biffo. This is a sign of things to come, Sindo and RTE FF will target opposition,and probably tell us FF are the best to steer us out of the cesspool they landed us in.

Of course O Connor and Sindo were experts on the housing bubble.

hmmm

FF are the party of the me feiners - the party for those who think that by supporting FF, they will do better relative to everyone else and the good of society as a whole is irrelevant. It's a very Irish thing where we are happy to see everyone pulled down, just as long as other people are pulled down further than we are.

So despite everything that has happened, I'm not surprised to see FF retain support and I'd say that support may even come from surprising quarters. It's no different to seeing the PS vote in big numbers for Labour in the hope that they will benefit relative to the other parts of society.

gijoe

I thought Ivan got a very bad rap from the audience. His analysis was spot on - we will have the IMF in by March and they will make the decisions that the government are too cowardly to make.

LeDroit

I met John Bruton on a plane a few years back coming back from Rome. The poor man was trapped next to me for two hours while I rabbitted on about how Yates was a massive loss to FG and had left a hole in the succession that hadn't been filled. He wasn't that happy with me raving about Yates instead of presumably lauding his 'achievements' as Taoiseach but he eventually admitted that he thought Yates had been stupid and would have saved the country from Ahern.

uriah

All mouth and no trousers.
Did he refuse it? No.
Did he return it? No.

Yet he is on the airwaves demanding cuts in social welfare, pensions, public sector pay....

Brendan O'Connor is a talentless idiot, a Fianna Fáil supporter who, with Tubridy (another Fianna Fáil supporter) lead the RTE camaign for FF.
The entire public should go on a 'No to Television License' campaign until some semblance of balance returns to out 'national' broadcaster.

turdsl

You would want to be careful talking about the best Toiseach we never had.We just dont know, The country spent a month celebrating when Cowen got the job. he has led us to economic ruin and disgraced us all over the world with a begging bowl in our hand.

punchdrunk

He did not ask about Biffo. This is a sign of things to come, Sindo and RTE FF will target opposition,and probably tell us FF are the best to steer us out of the cesspool they landed us in.

Of course O'Connor and Sindo were experts on the housing bubble.
Yes it is obvious how they will play it. Increasingly the paper is called Fianna Fail on Sunday and with justification.

gijoe

All mouth and no trousers.
Did he refuse it? No.
Did he return it? No.

Yet he is on the airwaves demanding cuts in social welfare, pensions, public sector pay....
You obviously were not interested in hearing his answer. He said that any handing back of his pension would be a vacuous gesture but he would any measure that would apply across the board.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies