Ivana Bacik: 71% of the people in Dun Laoghaire are “short-sighted and small-minded”

Skyrocket

From her website as an Independent Senator:

On June 11th, 2004 the Referendum on Citizenship was passed. I was very much against the proposed change to our citizenship laws. Because of this, I set up a campaign group, Lawyers Against the Amendment, with other legal collegues. We took a prominent role in the referendum debate. We argued that the referendum was a short-sighted and small-minded proposal... Ivana Bacik | Independant Senator for Dublin University

The Referendum was overwhelmingly passed by 79% of voters, including 71% of the Dun Laoghaire electorate. Clearly, Ms Bachik is out of touch with the vast majority of the Irish people who overwhelmingly agreed with this “short-sighted and small-minded” proposal.

The Dude

There's a difference between a proposal being short sighted and small minded and calling someone who endorses said proposal as being short sighted and small minded.

But I presume that won't matter to you, you have your agenda.

enby

From her website as an Independent Senator:

On June 11th, 2004 the Referendum on Citizenship was passed. I was very much against the proposed change to our citizenship laws. Because of this, I set up a campaign group, Lawyers Against the Amendment, with other legal collegues. We took a prominent role in the referendum debate. We argued that the referendum was a short-sighted and small-minded proposal... Ivana Bacik | Independant Senator for Dublin University

The Referendum was overwhelmingly passed by 79% of voters, including 71% of the Dun Laoghaire electorate. Clearly, Ms Bachik is out of touch with the vast majority of the Irish people who overwhelmingly agreed with this “short-sighted and small-minded” proposal.
Yaaaaaaawn

alonso

Nice to see the anti-Ivana brigade fearful of her taking a seat are already out on maneuvers.
indeed,. Didn't take long. you can smell the fear in that post

Skyrocket

There's a difference between a proposal being short sighted and small minded and calling someone who endorses said proposal as being short sighted and small minded.

But I presume that won't matter to you, you have your agenda.
I don't agree. The people gave due consideration to the proposal and approved of it, and in Ivana's eyes this is "short sighted and small minded"

b.a. baracus

Lawyers against the Amendment indeed. More like "Lawyers afraid of losing income".

The legal profession has made a bloody fortune from endless appeals in the mess that is the asylum system. They were never ones for biting the hands that feed them so the more asylum seekers that get here the more dough they make. No surprise that they were against any tightening of the regulations.

As for Bacik herself - she is one of those wet-brained do-gooders who probably believes we should just open our borders to anyone who wants to come here...and yet hilariously also believes that we should continue to have a generous welfare state. Positions which are mutually exclusive.

The Dude

I don't agree. The people gave due consideration to the proposal and approved of it, and in Ivana's eyes this is "short sighted and small minded"
So if you disagree with a person on one single principle, you write off that person completely? What an odd world you must live in.

Here's one for you - I disagree with the principles of gender quotas in politics. I see the point proponents of the measure are making, but I feel the quotas are a form of discrimination. Am I then suggesting that proponents of quotas are anti-men?

Camper Van

I wonder if this referendum were up for vote today how high the figure would be. Higher than 71% methinks. Bacik is just another out of touch useless mé féiner, she stands out from the crowd in no particular way.

bob3344

As for Bacik herself - she is one of those wet-brained do-gooders who probably believes we should just open our borders to anyone who wants to come here...and yet hilariously also believes that we should continue to have a generous welfare state. Positions which are mutually exclusive.
Yeah, true.

Higgins took a similar line in the referendum - he's so full of concern for the Irish working class, but saw no problem in advocating that anyone, from anywhere should be allowed residence, access to welfare etc etc for life merely by having a child here.

Skyrocket

So if you disagree with a person on one single principle, you write off that person completely? What an odd world you must live in.

Here's one for you - I disagree with the principles of gender quotas in politics. I see the point proponents of the measure are making, but I feel the quotas are a form of discrimination. Am I then suggesting that proponents of quotas are anti-men?
You aren't comparing like with like, Ivana made a clear assertion that those who favour the referendum were "short-sighted and small-minded"

The Dude

You aren't comparing like with like, Ivana made a clear assertion that those who favour the referendum were "short-sighted and small-minded"
Yes I am - I am saying that quotas are discriminatory. By your own logic I am therefore saying that anyone who is in favour of quotas are discriminatory.

You are using simplistic logic (purposefully in my opinion) to stir controversy and mud-sling.

Disillusioned democrat

Nice to see the anti-Ivana brigade fearful of her taking a seat are already out on maneuvers.
She gets on my nerves...looking forward to not voting for her.

You have to hand it to her for perveverence though - if I'd been so thoroughly rejected in so many places at so many times I would have given up by now.

Disillusioned democrat

I wonder if this referendum were up for vote today how high the figure would be. Higher than 71% methinks. Bacik is just another out of touch useless mé féiner, she stands out from the crowd in no particular way.
Didn't she try to get that female quota sh1te going last year...that kind of smacked of desperation. When the voters reject you time and again in a fair election, try to chance the rules and eliminate some of the competition.

setanta

That's a lie as well you know. Ivana must really frighten you for you to so deliberately misrepresent her like this. What is it about articulate, capable and courageous women that scares you? Maybe your mammy should have hugged you more when you were a kid.

ctr

What a pathetic OP.

I can understand not agreeing with her viewpoints and not voting for her & campaigning against her but the pathetic OP is a dishonest quote mining exercise.

bob3344

Didn't she try to get that female quota sh1te going last year...that kind of smacked of desperation. When the voters reject you time and again in a fair election, try to chance the rules and eliminate some of the competition.
Yeah, pure self-serving crap.

She also wants travellers to be recognised as a separate ethnic group, which would introduce an endless gravy train for them, they would become completely immune from criticism/reality.

Skyrocket

That's a lie as well you know. Ivana must really frighten you for you to so deliberately misrepresent her like this. What is it about articulate, capable and courageous women that scares you? Maybe your mammy should have hugged you more when you were a kid.
Now now Ivana, calm down. I still think you have a good chance of riding in on Gimore's coat-tails. Despite being totally out of touch with mainstream Ireland.

Disillusioned democrat

Yeah, pure self-serving crap.

She also wants travellers to be recognised as a separate ethnic group, which would introduce an endless gravy train for them, they would become completely immune from criticism/reality.
And probably create a whole new segment for the legal profession to milk.

New Threads

Most Replies