Ivana Bacik: 71% of the people in Dun Laoghaire are “short-sighted and small-minded”

Vote_No_on_Everything

From her website as an Independent Senator:

On June 11th, 2004 the Referendum on Citizenship was passed. I was very much against the proposed change to our citizenship laws. Because of this, I set up a campaign group, Lawyers Against the Amendment, with other legal collegues. We took a prominent role in the referendum debate. We argued that the referendum was a short-sighted and small-minded proposal... Ivana Bacik | Independant Senator for Dublin University

The Referendum was overwhelmingly passed by 79% of voters, including 71% of the Dun Laoghaire electorate. Clearly, Ms Bachik is out of touch with the vast majority of the Irish people who overwhelmingly agreed with this “short-sighted and small-minded” proposal.
A bigger problem is that about 80% of the population of the world are small minded & short sighted, that is why they are so easily divided and conquered.

Disillusioned democrat

At least Bachik believes in something other than her own election. I don't share her politics in the main but I hope she gets in because she is someone who can make a national contribution. If we had one of those in every constituency we'd be on our way.
I don't think when she said this she expected to be running in a GE in Dun Laoghaire, ands she certainly didn't expect anyone to remember....damn you p.ie.....

Either that or she was writing her speech conceeding defeat 6 years early. Bachik is one of those people who thinks society owes her a living because she has some liberal ideas about how to spend other peoples money - she's had a few chances in elections before - I think there should be a limit....three attempts and you're out. BTW - was she elected to senate or appointed?

anarko

I don't think when she said this she expected to be running in a GE in Dun Laoghaire, ands she certainly didn't expect anyone to remember....damn you p.ie.....

Either that or she was writing her speech conceeding defeat 6 years early. Bachik is one of those people who thinks society owes her a living because she has some liberal ideas about how to spend other peoples money - she's had a few chances in elections before - I think there should be a limit....three attempts and you're out. BTW - was she elected to senate or appointed?
Considering the elite few that get to vote for seaned nominations you could rightly say they were all APOINTED

TradCat

Elected by the graduates of TCD I think.

Bachik is one of those people who thinks society owes her a living because she has some liberal ideas about how to spend other peoples money
That's not the sense I get. She keeps coming back and trying again. I'm sure she could pick up a good job with an NGO but she chooses the rough and tumble of politics. I can't fault her for that.

As for three attempts and you're out I don't see any reason for that.

jtbooker

they wont be happy until they turn our country into a third world cesspool,you can make all the best moral high-falutin arguments for a multicultural society,but its just colonialism under another guise and brings NO social or financial benifits to the host society,you dont have to be a student of history to know what the outcome is when you have different cultures living in close proximity battling for power and resources.just look at the state of england and the rise of the far right in europe,the writings on the walls!!coupled with the astonishing demographic trends in europe and deep rooted cultural and religious hatred,i challenge anyone to explain to me how this is going to end well or peacefully,i dont care what the modern political elite would like to define me as but i never want to feel like a stranger in my own land,labour in england have created a cultural problem that will have far-reaching consequences for hundreds of years to come,and i dont feel that labour in ireland hold the REAL irish much closer to their hearts either,nationalism and pride in ones people are dirty words in their neo-marxist minds
lol...how dare you say a bad word about multiculturalism and the liberal PC horsesht it espouses. You're an ignorant xenophobe and hate all black people as a result. Open door immigration is the best thing ever.

Wasist/Stormfront/Daily Mail/Southpark 'der jobs' reference from some Immigration Council/Equality quango sock puppet in 3...2...1....

Disillusioned democrat

Elected by the graduates of TCD I think.

That's not the sense I get. She keeps coming back and trying again. I'm sure she could pick up a good job with an NGO but she chooses the rough and tumble of politics. I can't fault her for that.

As for three attempts and you're out I don't see any reason for that.
My reason for the three strikes and your out rule is that it prevents people like serial electioneers like Backik roving around various constituencies until she finally gets an electorate dumb enough to vote for them.

In terms of coming back again and again, despite "the rough and tumble of politics" I think it demonstrates the scale of the reward when you make it to the big league....any way, how rough it the Senate really? Maybe she should be careful what she wishes for wrt the Dail - she may finally get there to find out that all that "other peoples' money" she so wants to spend on her pet projects has dried up.

potsdammer

At least Bachik believes in something other than her own election.
The only thing Bacik is interested in, is herself.

I don't share her politics in the main but I hope she gets in because she is someone who can make a national contribution
Oh dear... you might want to do your homework on this.

If we had one of those in every constituency we'd be on our way.
....to oblivion with a one-way ticket.

Mercurial

There's a difference between a proposal being short sighted and small minded and calling someone who endorses said proposal as being short sighted and small minded.

But I presume that won't matter to you, you have your agenda.
Nuance? How dare you?!

I also like that the implication in the OP is that Bacik is "out of touch with the vast majority of the Irish people" because she might happen to disagree with them on a single issue.

bob3344

I also like that the implication in the OP is that Bacik is "out of touch with the vast majority of the Irish people" because she might happen to disagree with them on a single issue.
Its a pretty significant issue in fairness, and evidence of what a pc dunce she is.

Given her abject failure to get elected until now, I think the assessment that she is "out of touch with the vast majority of the Irish people" is fair enough.

Maybe FF have done enough to get her elected this time around.

BananaHammock

What are Bacik's positives? I've read a bit about her career to date, and all I can find is "feminist, feminist, feminist, feminist".

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
The typifies the elitism of the Left-Liberal Dublin 4 PC-brigade that turns 80% of us off voting Labour.

Casualbets

I intensely dislike Bacik, notsomuch because of her views, but because of her extremely patronising attitude. We don't actually have many ivory tower liberals in Ireland but Bacik is one of the few. She is the quintessential Dublin 4 thinks-she-knows-it-all, arrogant and dismissive. For roughly the same reason, I've also developed a hearty dislike for Lucinda Creighton. And to a lesser extent, Leo Varadkar.

As regards the "anti-Ivana Brigade" comment, it's a pretty bloody large brigade, crossing party lines and ideological boundaries.

I was delighted when she was beaten for the Dublin SE convention - it would have been a travesty if she had beaten Humphreys - only to be infuriated when Labour instead parachuted her into Dun Laoghaire ahead of more legitimate candidates. I'm taking consolation in the fact that even in Dun Laoghaire she doesn't appear to be well liked, as Paddy Power are pricing Richard Boyd-Barrett to take the last seat.

Mercurial

Its a pretty significant issue in fairness, and evidence of what a pc dunce she is.

Given her abject failure to get elected until now, I think the assessment that she is "out of touch with the vast majority of the Irish people" is fair enough.

Maybe FF have done enough to get her elected this time around.
I don't think it's significant at all. I think it would be quite strange for someone to base their vote on whether or not a candidate supported a referndum which took place seven years ago, which will likely not be reversed any time soon, and which has nothing to do with what most people are concerned about at the moment.

Then again, I have learned never to overestimate the inclinations of the average Irish voter.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies