Ivana Bacik: 71% of the people in Dun Laoghaire are “short-sighted and small-minded”

potsdammer

There once was a film called a "Nightmare on Nassau Street" and the lead character was Ivana Hatchet. I wonder if it still exists?

Might win a nomination.......for the Senate after the General Election.

Disillusioned democrat

I actually think she was chosen as Gilmore's running mate so that any right minded left-of-centre voter in Dun Laohhaire would have to vote for Gilmore even if they thought him a smug git, because next to Bachik he come across as almost normal.

Skyrocket

Oh dear, while I really don't like her I have to say I do agree with her on the Citizenship referendum. But it's a bit of a leap to say that because she called the proposal small minded that she also thinks those who voted for it are small minded also. Certainly those who campaigned for it could be covered by such criticism, but that's about it.

uugh, can't believe I just defended Bacik. :(
I stand by the OP.

DuineEile

Oh dear, while I really don't like her I have to say I do agree with her on the Citizenship referendum. But it's a bit of a leap to say that because she called the proposal small minded that she also thinks those who voted for it are small minded also. Certainly those who campaigned for it could be covered by such criticism, but that's about it.

uugh, can't believe I just defended Bacik. :(
Didn't realise that this was what her comment was about, or that it was in relation to the Referendum, not the people of Dún Laoghire.

The referendum was short sighted and small minded.

D

Half Nelson

Didn't realise that this was what her comment was about, or that it was in relation to the Referendum, not the people of Dún Laoghire.

The referendum was short sighted and small minded.

D
Article 7 UN Convention on the Rights of the Child1. The child shall be registered immediately after birth and shall have the right from birth to a name, the right to acquire a nationality and. as far as possible, the right to know and be cared for by his or her parents.

2. States Parties shall ensure the implementation of these rights in accordance with their national law and their obligations under the relevant international instruments in this field, in particular where the child would otherwise be stateless.
I agree with Bacik on this and probably nothing else.

We signed the above Convention but while denying citizenship to children we enshrined no corresponding effort to ensure that such children born in Ireland had citizenship somewhere else. We thus breached the Convention.

Ignoreland

If anyone here has taken the time to read any of Bacik's academic article's you'd see she's a very intelligent, well reasoned thinker who's very adept at backing up any statement she makes with facts.... something that a lot of posters here can't do.
As for her failure to get elected, was she not elected to the Seanad? Then again the Seanad doesn't count these days does it?

osioradain

From her website as an Independent Senator:

On June 11th, 2004 the Referendum on Citizenship was passed. I was very much against the proposed change to our citizenship laws. Because of this, I set up a campaign group, Lawyers Against the Amendment, with other legal collegues. We took a prominent role in the referendum debate. We argued that the referendum was a short-sighted and small-minded proposal... Ivana Bacik | Independant Senator for Dublin University

The Referendum was overwhelmingly passed by 79% of voters, including 71% of the Dun Laoghaire electorate. Clearly, Ms Bachik is out of touch with the vast majority of the Irish people who overwhelmingly agreed with this “short-sighted and small-minded” proposal.

That is just stupid...

potsdammer

If anyone here has taken the time to read any of Bacik's academic article's you'd see she's a very intelligent, well reasoned thinker who's very adept at backing up any statement she makes with facts.... something that a lot of posters here can't do.
As for her failure to get elected, was she not elected to the Seanad? Then again the Seanad doesn't count these days does it?
Is this an autobio post I see before me?

Give me a sick bag quick!

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
I agree with Bacik on this and probably nothing else.

We signed the above Convention but while denying citizenship to children we enshrined no corresponding effort to ensure that such children born in Ireland had citizenship somewhere else. We thus breached the Convention.
The country is already in the hands of international institutions and to push that principle any further would constitute a final and irrevocable surrender of sovereignty. The highlighted text does not mean what you think it means i.e. an absolute right to citizenship in the country of birth. Furthermore, you are recycling the bogus "stateless children" argument of the "No" campaign because Irish law requires Irish citizenship to be granted where no other citizenship is possible.

Half Nelson

The country is already in the hands of international institutions and to push that principle any further would constitute a final and irrevocable surrender of sovereignty. The highlighted text does not mean what you think it means i.e. an absolute right to citizenship in the country of birth. Furthermore, you are recycling the bogus "stateless children" argument of the "No" campaign because Irish law requires Irish citizenship to be granted where no other citizenship is possible.
Thanks for telling me what I think :rolleyes:. I don't recall the referendum (the bit we voted on) making any reference to a right to citizenship where none other is possible.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Thanks for telling me what I think :rolleyes:. I don't recall the referendum (the bit we voted on) making any reference to a right to citizenship where none other is possible.
I know but I understand it is otherwise Irish law and this was mentioned during the referendum campaign by someone on the "Yes" side.

deiseguy

On June 11th, 2004 the Referendum on Citizenship was passed. I was very much against the proposed change to our citizenship laws. Because of this, I set up a campaign group, Lawyers Against the Amendment, with other legal collegues. We took a prominent role in the referendum debate. We argued that the referendum was a short-sighted and small-minded proposal... Ivana Bacik | Independant Senator for Dublin University
As an Irish person the only thing I find more embarrassing than the passing of this referendum was our governments cowardice during the second world war. What is that saying about something "making strange bedfellows", I'm in agreement with Bacik which is not someting I ever expected to say.

Despite the fact that we have this craven mean spirited section inserted in our constitution Newstalk manged to run a story this morning decrying an American attempt to introduce something similar.

Towsa

There once was a film called a "Nightmare on Nassau Street" and the lead character was Ivana Hatchet. I wonder if it still exists?

Might win a nomination.......for the Senate after the General Election.

Nominated by Andy Gray

Seconded by Richard Keys

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies