• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Ivana Bacik insults 'C' Case woman who regrets abortion, claims she was "manipulated"

Skyrocket

Ivana Bacik, the pro-choice/pro-abortion Labour Senator who has called for the abortion debate to be conducted "in a respectful and dignified fashion" has brought the level of debate to a new low by insulting the rape victim who was the subject of the C Case in 1997 and subsequently expressed regret at having an abortion.

Using the pseudonym 'Mary', the woman spoke on the 'Today with Pat Kenny' show in July 2009. She described her horrific ordeal of being raped at the age of 13, her recollection of the abortion, her subsequent regrets and mental health issues and how she still lives in fear. This is how she described her experience of the abortion:

"I remember going on the plane to have an abortion. I didn't understand what was happening. I thought they were going to take the baby out, like there would be a living baby there...I asked for the baby and there was no baby. I wouldn't have wanted to keep the baby. I would have put it up for adoption or something."

"I never got over it. I went and got a death cert done and named it Shannon. I had to have something to keep to say that the child was there."

In a debate with Ronan Mullen on yesterday's Pat Kenny show, Bacik was dismissive of 'Mary's' story regretting the abortion and made the following claim with no evidence whatsoever to back it up:

"I think she was very much manipulated by a very far right extremist group"

Bacik should withdraw this disgraceful claim or put forward evidence in support of it.

Debate between Ronan Mullen and Ivana Bacik on yesterday's 'Today with Pat Kenny' show: RT.ie Radio1: Today with Pat Kenny - Today with Pat Kenny (Bacik's remark is just after the 20 minute mark).

Full interview with 'Mary', the woman at the centre of the 'C' Case: Miss 'C' | Fluctu8 Podcast Directory

Dame_Enda

She is a 28 yr old woman - hardly at the age where she could be "manipulated a a Far Right extremist group". :roll: On the other hand Savita's death has been manipulated by Far Left extremist groups.

What a sad story behind the 'C' case. Everyone should be informed about what the procedure entails. No one should be forced to have an abortion. It's about having the choice to have one.

'orebel

Yes, Mullen is indeed an obnoxious scumbucket who will stoop to any depths to further his particular brand of dark ages superstition.

Gracchus

I'd normally support reform of the Seanad, but these two creatures are fine examples of the cesspit that is the Seanad.

Radix

Ivana Bacik, the pro-choice/pro-abortion Labour Senator who has called for the abortion debate to be conducted "in a respectful and dignified fashion" has brought the level of debate to a new low by insulting the rape victim who was the subject of the C Case in 1997 and subsequently expressed regret at having an abortion.

Using the pseudonym 'Mary', the woman spoke on the 'Today with Pat Kenny' show in July 2009. She described her horrific ordeal of being raped at the age of 13, her recollection of the abortion, her subsequent regrets and mental health issues and how she still lives in fear. This is how she described her experience of the abortion:

"I remember going on the plane to have an abortion. I didn't understand what was happening. I thought they were going to take the baby out, like there would be a living baby there...I asked for the baby and there was no baby. I wouldn't have wanted to keep the baby. I would have put it up for adoption or something."

"I never got over it. I went and got a death cert done and named it Shannon. I had to have something to keep to say that the child was there."

In a debate with Ronan Mullen on yesterday's Pat Kenny show, Bacik was dismissive of 'Mary's' story regretting the abortion and made the following claim with no evidence whatsoever to back it up:

Bacik should withdraw this disgraceful claim or put forward evidence in support of it.

Debate between Ronan Mullen and Ivana Bacik on yesterday's 'Today with Pat Kenny' show: RT.ie Radio1: Today with Pat Kenny - Today with Pat Kenny (Bacik's remark is just after the 20 minute mark).

Full interview with 'Mary', the woman at the centre of the 'C' Case: Miss 'C' | Fluctu8 Podcast Directory
All I know, is that better times for Cinderella cannot be far away when an ugly sister is glimpsed.

J

Johnny Boy

Key phrase is "I think".
Bacik is not claiming anything. She is simply offering an opinion.
You need to get over yourself.

Seanie Lemass

Being against abortion does not make you a 'far right extremist'.

Being part of the current coalition certainly places one fairly well to the right no matter what your view on abortion is.

titmouse

Of course she's been manipulated - just like all the people in Ireland who against all reason would plead that a 13 YEAR OLD should be allowed to go through with a pregnancy resulting from rape.

Red_93

I find it difficult to believe such a smart woman could make such a stupid statement (although if Caroline Simons' spin and lies the other night are anything to go by, making baffling and outrageous statements is the norm on both sides of this). Be interesting to see if this is picked up on in the mainstream media. In any case she seems to be in the wrong and should apologise although I haven't listened to the interview.

titmouse

I find it difficult to believe such a smart woman could make such a stupid statement (although if Caroline Simons' spin and lies the other night are anything to go by, making baffling and outrageous statements is the norm on both sides of this). Be interesting to see if this is picked up on in the mainstream media. In any case she seems to be in the wrong and should apologise although I haven't listened to the interview.
The truth hurts doesn't it.

DeathKnell

Key phrase is "I think".
This is the point Jonhnny Boy - Bacik is the worst kind of lefty liberal, she assumes that if your opinion is different to her rose tinted pre-conceved notions of an issue, then either 1) Your a hard brutal right winger or 2) You are stupid and barring that 3) Brainwashed.

She would make you want to vote pro-life just to shut her smug pie-hole. Thats coming from someone who would vote for limited abortion.

S

simeongrimes

I think both sides in this debate at the extremes are weird people. For once my sympathies are with the middle of the road politicians trying to make a judgement that will be acceptable to the people in general while having two sets of fanatics screaming in their ears.

Seanie Lemass

The truth hurts doesn't it.

What truth?

Bacik was the only right wing extremist on that programme given her record in consistently supporting the most right wing government in this state since the Cumann na nGaedhael one in the 1920s.

DeathKnell

By the way - Caroline Simons - while I disagree with her overall policies - wiped the floor with VB and that Irish Times journo night before last. I dont know of her points were valid - but she made them well and hammered the other 2. VB's biase is getting really tiresome at this stage - he is starting to sound like Bacik.

Limerick Lad

Key phrase is "I think".
Ivana Bacik has good reason to believe that may be a possibility given Youth Defense's involvement with the family at the time, YD assisted the family in meeting the costs of the court cases and rehousing them.

DuineEile

Of course she's been manipulated - just like all the people in Ireland who against all reason would plead that a 13 YEAR OLD should be ALLOWED to go through with a pregnancy resulting from rape.
ALLOWED?

Allowed?

Some pro choice there. Are you seriously saying a person should be forced to have an abortion?

You're sick.

D

titmouse

What truth?

Bacik was the only right wing extremist on that programme given her record in consistently supporting the most right wing government in this state since the Cumann na nGaaedhael one in the 1920s.
Which right wing government would this be?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies