Ivana Bacik says she's not the only non-DubCentral resident running in Dublin Central

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Last week I posted a few pictures from Dublin Central, where I commented on how many of the Labour local election posters had "Vote Local" stickers.

http://www.politics.ie/labour/70376-labour-saying-vote-local-locals-dub-central-except-not-election.html

An hour ago, Ivana Bacik posted a message on Twitter.

Ivana Bacik said:
Why have no journalists asked Maurice Aherne about the fact that he lives in Malahide, and not in Dublin Central?
Senator Bacik does have a point, Maurice Ahern doesn't live in the area, however, it's also worth noting that Senator Bacik's comment does in some part acknowledge that a candidate in an election should live in the area, right? Also it seems a question she must be getting asked alot.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
How desperate is Bacik? Ahern has spent of his life in the constiuency and is already an elected representative in the area. Bacik is a total blow-in who's only previous visits to DC were related to her highly paid legal career.

By highlighting this, she just reminds everyone that she has been parachuted into the constituency and isn't wanted there (even by members of the Labour party).

Nipper

Reminds me of Conor lenihan on arguing with the principal of Old Bawn School about cuts. Hard to take him seriously when as Td for the area he would never live in tallaght or send his Kids to Old bawn Community school. Easy to preach to the peasants from the Ivory tower.

caminoed

By highlighting this, she just reminds everyone that she has been parachuted into the constituency and isn't wanted there (even by members of the Labour party).
Ivana was unanimously selected. if members of the labour party wanted someone else, someone else would have sought the nomination. Go out and see her canvass any night, loads of Dublin Central members, and indeed members of the party from across dublin are out campaigning for her.

Horace Horse

This is a true story:

When someone asked Bacik what links she had with Dublin Central, she said that she used to work in the Four Courts.

Supermanpolitician

I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist about this. It would be more imprtant that the candidate is good for the country, not just the area. It is up to the locals to decide and if they think it isn't an issue, then it isn't. But we all know what the folks on the ground say.

Nipper

Ivana was unanimously selected. if members of the labour party wanted someone else, someone else would have sought the nomination. Go out and see her canvass any night, loads of Dublin Central members, and indeed members of the party from across dublin are out campaigning for her.
This might be true but how that looks to constituents is that you Represent the party one not the voters. I have always had total respect for Pat Rabitte in this regard.

Conor

Senator Bacik does have a point, Maurice Ahern doesn't live in the area, however, it's also worth noting that Senator Bacik's comment does in some part acknowledge that a candidate in an election should live in the area, right?
Well no. If she were critical of Maurice Ahern for not living in the area, then she'd be making that acknowledgement; but she isn't. She just seems to be pointing out the fact that, while the media may have picked up on her residency outside the constituency, it's ignoring that of other candidates. For some reason.

turdsl

It is just acknowledgement that journalists should do their homework and be fair

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
How desperate is Bacik? Ahern has spent of his life in the constiuency and is already an elected representative in the area. Bacik is a total blow-in who's only previous visits to DC were related to her highly paid legal career.

That local angle from Maureen, Christy and Pascal must be hurting.

That said perhaps it's because his name is Maurice Ahern not Maurice Aherne?

Seán Mac Stiofán

In fairness, Ahern was born and raised in the constituency. Her natural home would've been Dublin South but no doubt Alex White told her to clear off. If she were serious about taking a seat in Dublin Central --or anywhere-- she might consider standing in the local elections and building a support base. But, of course, this would mean relinquishing her position as a Senator. So no, then.

Kournikovaism

I am a Labour fan but to be honest I don't like her.

She does seem very desperate for a Dáil seat, and is so out of touch.

If I was in Dubline Central Maureen would be my choice since she actually has done a lot in the community unlike Ivana who just showed up.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
It is just acknowledgement that journalists should do their homework and be fair
No it's not, it's the act of sheer putulance. As has been said, she is simply a high profile carpetbagger, who's only knowledge of the constituency is from visiting the Four Courts. It's like someone from Wexford standing for Dublin North, because they used Dublin Airport a lot. This is coming up on the doors and in the local media.

The fact that the Labour candidates in the local elections are loudly professing their ties to he area with their "vote local" posters, is also probably irking the southside diva. Personally I don't care who wins the seat as long its not Bacik (I could even like with Burke due to his years of service to the local community) and I'm making my way back to DC to make sure I vote and I will be putting a preference beside every candidate bar one.

handinglove

No it's not, it's the act of sheer putulance. As has been said, she is simply a high profile carpetbagger, who's only knowledge of the constituency is from visiting the Four Courts. It's like someone from Wexford standing for Dublin North, because they used Dublin Airport a lot. This is coming up on the doors and in the local media.

The fact that the Labour candidates in the local elections are loudly professing their ties to he area with their "vote local" posters, is also probably irking the southside diva. Personally I don't care who wins the seat as long its not Bacik (I could even like with Burke due to his years of service to the local community) and I'm making my way back to DC to make sure I vote and I will be putting a preference beside every candidate bar one.
Whether a candidate is from the area or not is largely irrelevant. This contesting is about electing a TD to the national parliament. Who gives a ******************** about local issues? Thats for councillors to concentrate on.

TheBigFella

Has Bacik any chance of getting elected, any chance.

If there is one woman in the Irish Public life that makes my blood boil and my skin crawl its her.

TheLastPaddy

I have no doubt that Ms Bacik has her strengths. She clearly knows how to work the system and progress her own career and I suppose the best of luck to her in that regard. However, I would question the extent of her real commitment to hard work on the ground at a constituency level. I heard her on a radio debate a few nights ago and while she sprouts the usual pc mantras somehow she comes accross as smug and arrogant emblematic of the D4 type (even if she is not living there) and out of touch with reality of life of people less fortunate than herself. Other candidates in the contest there came over as genuine on-the-ground people who had put in the hard work, irrespective of their policital affiliations.

I don't have a vote in Dublin Central so she won't have to worry about my vote. I am sure that is a relief to her!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies