Ivana Bacik says she's not the only non-DubCentral resident running in Dublin Central

Factorem

So? She said she spent every day in Dublin Central. Not to mention her time in Trinity.
Yeah, and she has a seat reserved at the top table every evening.

I wonder was it roast beef or lamb shank this evening?

Flimflam

Jakers folks, she lives in the Liberties, not a stones throw from the DC area. If she was running in the locals there might be some point to this nitpicking, otherwise it's just stupid to be going on about it.

TrapperJohn

Jakers folks, she lives in the Liberties, not a stones throw from the DC area. If she was running in the locals there might be some point to this nitpicking, otherwise it's just stupid to be going on about it.
Of the 3 TDs in DC, I think the Joe Costello is the only one living in the constituency. Maybe the Dail should commission a study on why people think it's a good place to represent, but not to live

lebowskilite

Website
elchle.tumblr.com
Why aren't the Dublin University constituents up in arms that she's using her seat to launch a career for herself in the lower house?
Well, um, given that they elected her to the Seanad, don't you think they'd like to have her in the Dáil?

I can't remember the last time a university senator actually claimed to represent a graduate body.

red-365

Of the 3 TDs in DC, I think the Joe Costello is the only one living in the constituency. Maybe the Dail should commission a study on why people think it's a good place to represent, but not to live
Plenty of Dublin TDs across the parties don't live in their own constituencies. On the FF side, I can think of Bertie, and Pat Carey, for instance. Must be loads more.

It's not a major problem if punters are in possession of all the facts and are in a position to cast their vote accordingly.

lebowskilite

Website
elchle.tumblr.com
Yeah, and she has a seat reserved at the top table every evening.

I wonder was it roast beef or lamb shank this evening?
You'd prefer that someone be kept out of the Dáil because they have a successful legal & academic career?

Quite petty.

cllr

Her campaign has bombed spectacularly, Maurice Ahern might not live in Dublin Central but he does represent the Cabra Glasnevin ward in Dublin central unlike Bacik who represents the rotten borough of the Trinity senate panel. Its still hard to believe that Paddy Power installed her as the favourite initially. She'll be lucky to be in 4th place at this rate. Oisin Quinn and Lacey must be delighted to see her flop as it will make it much easier to block her for Dublin SE when Ruairi Quinn finally shuffles off the political stage.
I have just seen this by accident - where do you get these ideas from.

I am happy fighting to hold on to my Council seat to represent the people of Pembroke-Rathmines on Dublin City Council.

Seán Mac Stiofán

Aww, she's a real Dub just like the rest of us!! Oh...uh oh, no...she went to Alexandra College! (Some s********************y new apartment complex near the Liberties doesn't qualify). Besides, I thought she lived in Dún Laoghaire??

Seán Mac Stiofán

I actually think she can win the seat, ahern is being run out of working class areas even with the brudder's minders, o donhoue may top the poll but wont get transfers from anywhere, Maureens a nice person but everybody knows nice people arent whats needed in the dail right now, burke hasnt a snowballs chance(kehoe should heve been begged to run again) , there are no other candidates who will influence the result, so the question should be who are sinn fein and gregorys crew asking for 2nds for?
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!

No chance!!!!

O'Donohue will win but Burke will give him a good run for his money. I would bet Aherne receives a higher first preference vote than Bacik. Labour were competely stupid parachuting this chancer into Dublin Central and will pay for it by way of a bloody nose.

Seán Mac Stiofán

FF lite have not a hope of winning here.I think Lab will win it.
Do you have any polls to back that up with? Or just wishful thinking? Because the pundits reckon O'Donohue is the man to beat and Burke is the only one standing in his way.

Horace Horse

Bacik on radio explained that she thinks our electoral system should be changed.

She envisages two avenues of entry to the Dail.

One is the traditional election, in which candiadates are chosen on the basis of particular constituencies. Bacik believes this favours locally-based candidates who are happy to work in their areas.

The other mode of election would be the list system, in which candidates are chosen on the basis of national lists. Bacik believes this favours people who are able to discuss national and international issues and formulate laws, without having to worry about the daily drudge of peoples' medical cards, housing problems etc.

Now I wonder which type of TD Bacik sees herself as...

hopi watcher

Labour has been damaged badly over the years by opportunists who attach themselves to it in pursuit of electoral success. Bacik is just one of a long line, but she is so lightweight that the damage she will cause will be minisule.

stalins granny

Do you have any polls to back that up with? Or just wishful thinking? Because the pundits reckon O'Donohue is the man to beat and Burke is the only one standing in his way.
Most people in the constituency thought Burke died years ago he was a failure then and hes yesterdays failure now, sinn fein are desperate in dublin central, Mary lou didnt have the stomach for the fight and Nicky has rightly told them to F off so they are stuck with Burke. he will be well behind Ivana and Kathleen in first prefs and like o donohue he will be becalmed, maybe thats why they are finding common cause theses days.

Seán Mac Stiofán

Most people in the constituency thought Burke died years ago he was a failure then and hes yesterdays failure now, sinn fein are desperate in dublin central, Mary lou didnt have the stomach for the fight and Nicky has rightly told them to F off so they are stuck with Burke. he will be well behind Ivana and Kathleen in first prefs and like o donohue he will be becalmed, maybe thats why they are finding common cause theses days.
*Yawn* I repeat: any polls? The Independent seems to think it's between O'Donohue and Burke. If Bacik was truly interested in taking a seat here perhaps she ought to run for the City Council first and try again in three years time. But Ivana doesn't want to have to do the tedious hard graft most locally-based politicians are obliged to do in order to win a seat. Pass the champagne...

One half of the Turbine is predicting Bacik:

And The Winners Are...

For what it's worth, I don't think it will be either Bacik or O'Sullivan. It would also have been more ethical for the Turbine to state that Bacik wrote a column for that newspaper (including the one where she backed Clinton over Obama). anyways...

Shane Coleman's prediction: Maureen O'Sullivan (Independent)

Conor McMorrow's prediction: Ivana Bacik (Labour)

It will all come down to transfers. Could the SF/FG thing be related to getting Christy's transfers for O'D? I think so...

I still think Christy will do it.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Labour has been damaged badly over the years by opportunists who attach themselves to it in pursuit of electoral success. Bacik is just one of a long line, but she is so lightweight that the damage she will cause will be minisule.
Bacik's latest desperate link to Dublin Central (just heard heard on Newstalk) is that her granny usd to live on the NCR. My gannies used to live in Stoke-on-Trent and West Waterford, however I don't think that qualifies me to represent either area!

Last edited:

wombat

Bacok's latest desperate link to Dublin Central (just heard heard on Newstalk is that her Granny usd to live on the NCR.
It worked for Charlie, I never realised there were so many Travellers in the Dáil.

New Threads

Most Replies