Ivana Bacik to seek Labour Dublin Central nomination

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Labour has announced that Senator Ivana Bacik will be seeking the nomination to run in Dublin Central in the by-election.

“After speaking with a number of colleagues from the Labour Party and the Dublin Central constituency recently I’ve decided to put my name forward for the nomination to contest the by-election for the Party.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Press release continues below...........

“These are critical times for the future of the country. Over the last number of weeks I’ve been canvassing with local Labour candidates in Dublin and the desire among voters for a real alternative to this clapped out, weary Government is remarkable. Labour has been to the fore in proposing a credible alternative way out of our current economic and social turmoil and our message has a real resonance with the public. In these times it is vital that Labour takes the lead so that values of community, decency and fair play have a central role in the leadership of the country and I hope I can play a role in that process.

“Perhaps more so than any other constituency Dublin Central has paid the price for the cronyism and incompetence of Fianna Fáil during the boom years. In the past decade the resources existed to once and for all tackle the scandal urban decay, entrenched poverty and illiteracy yet that opportunity was squandered. Opportunities to support families by creating a national pre-school system and to support young people by giving them the educational facilities they deserve were wasted. Perhaps, most importantly, Fianna Fáil never tackled the speculators and developers that grew rich, with the result that thousands of people now find themselves trapped in negative equity, and struggling to meet childcare and mortgage payments.

“Over the coming days I will be speaking to the members in Dublin Central to win their support at a convention and get cracking on taking the fight to the Government. I firmly believe that voters will send a clear message to the Government about the need for a change in leadership and that Labour, whoever the local members choose, can win this by election. I would be honoured to contest it for the Party.”

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Joe Costello's wife is also considering a run, judging by his evading of questions on the matter on the Late Debate some nights ago. TRROC, I don't think MLM is running there this time. There is the question as to the legality of the dual-mandate.

Last edited:

mccafferty cat

So she won't sit in the Seanad as a Labour Senator, but she wants to sit in the Dáil as a Labour TD.

Interesting.

flavirostris

Not a great move IMO, can't see her getting much of a vote.
No roots in the constituency and probably seen as being representative of "Dublin 4" Labour. An obvious parachute candidate like Mary Lou in '07.
Good news for Sen Paschal Donohoe

juanpablo

Perhaps if she puts up a decent show here then Labour will parachute her into a more favourable (middle class) constituency come the next GE?

locke

So she won't sit in the Seanad as a Labour Senator, but she wants to sit in the Dáil as a Labour TD.

Interesting.
Didn't Shane Ross once run for FG in Wicklow, while choosing to be an Independent in the Seanad?

Factorem

She knows the days are numbered for the University of Dublin seats.

Norris and Ross would want to think about new careers too.

Factorem

Can we expect abortion clinics all over the city centre if she gets elected?

mccafferty cat

Didn't Shane Ross once run for FG in Wicklow, while choosing to be an Independent in the Seanad?
No - he was a full member of the FG parliamentary party at the time, having previously been an Independent. He subsequently quit FG and returned to being an Independent some years later.

Bacik on the other hand, ran for Labour in 2004, plugged her Labour ties in the 2007 Seanad race, sits as an Independent now (not a member of Labour parliamentary party now) - but now wants to run for Labour again

Clanrickard

mmrebel

The lady is a politically divisive figure would find it hard to be elected imo.

Pauli

Can we expect abortion clinics all over the city centre if she gets elected?
I doubt it. I think we will just continue to ignore the problem by exporting it to the UK as we have done for decades.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies